Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received my X1 yesterday. Everything arrived in great shape, and assembly was easy. No issues there. Went on a short test ride, and everything was good for the first couple miles. Was very careful with the the gears, riding as I normally would to get used to the bike and the power assist.

Then I noticed the motor was no longer working in PAS or with throttle. Made sure all the wire connections were tight, and tried again. No luck. The display briefly flashed "error 14". I can't find any information on that error code or anyone with a similar experience. I've tried all assist levels, disconnecting the wires, and removing the battery and letting it sit overnight, but I'm unable to get the motor working again. When the throttle is pressed, the motor "clicks" to try to start and then nothing. It's almost like the motor is seized or it's in a failsafe mode.

Anyone with a similar experience or suggestions how to reset the controller / motor? Did I just get a bad component? The rest of the bike works as expected, but not as much fun without any power...
    Last edited by Walker; 05-20-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, never seen error 14 before, please file a support ticket if you have not already, worst case we just swap the motor. https://lunacycle.com/support-request/

In the meantime I would recommend removing that cover on the motor that's on there with torx bolts and unplugging/replugging the plugs there.

• Walker
      Walker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Paxtana. I removed the motor cover, unplugged / plugged all three wires, and no luck. Same "click" and a very faint hum when pressing throttle in any PAS level. I did open a support ticket yesterday, but haven't heard anything yet. Was really looking forward to riding over the long weekend. Hopefully the motor replacement isn't too difficult.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Was worth a shot, thanks for trying on the plugs anyway.
      On the trouble ticket I see it has been assigned to our lead technician, he should get back to you in the morning. I changed the priority on it to high for you.
      Motor replacement is very easy, it is just held on by three bolts. On the first post on this thread we added a video on how the primary gear is changed out and this also happens to cover removal and installation. Only tricky part is removing the chainring spider since it needs a special tool to remove. We can ship you the tool to do this.

I'm sorry I cant help you with your problem but I'm curious how long ago did you order your bike? I've had one on order for three weeks now, It was supposed to be sent over a week ago but nothing!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The X1 shipment just arrived and shipment can be staggered depending on mods requested, size ordered etc, but your order should ship soon! If you would like us to check in on it for an update though, just email support@lunacycle.com

Got my X1 yesterday. Yay!
    Broke the chain today. Boo!

So I picked up the bike from FedEx will-call on Tuesday morning and had it assembled before noon. Zipped around town on the city streets for a couple of hours. Put on about 20 miles. Up and down many rolling hills. Great ride! Shook things out, made sure everything was tight, got used to the gearing, the PAS levels, did some fine-tuning on the derailleur. All was good. First impressions were delightful. Going to be a fun bike.

I did notice what many others have already commented on... Level 1 & 2 PAS is inadequate, while 3, 4 and 5 is too much. It would be nice if there was a way to fine tune the percent-of-power input per PAS level. (I have another bafang-based bike which allows me to adjust the PAS power level settings) Also noticed that the high gear is not high enough. Again, like others have already mentioned - I want to install a 38t chain ring.

Ok - day 2! Wednesday. Today. Time to take it to the hills. First real ride on the trails. First good hill approaches. I down-shift it to a middle gear. Peddled full bore... Raced into the mountain thinking - no problem - we got this! we got this! we got this! -- and we... uh.. got half way up - slowing down - slowing down - sh*t - instinctually down shifted - I feel the derailleur trying to connect the next gear - it slips - then - *boom* - full stop. Peddles spinning free. Dreadfully look down to see a chain hanging on the ground. Busted chain.
    Ok - hard lesson learned. - Despite all the warnings - I didn't take heed. I should have been in 2nd or 3rd. Not 6th or 7th.

Got a new chain coming. Back to my other bike for a few days.
    For all the new X1 owners - don't make my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      Received my X1 yesterday. Everything arrived in great shape, and assembly was easy. No issues there. Went on a short test ride, and everything was good for the first couple miles. Was very careful with the the gears, riding as I normally would to get used to the bike and the power assist.

Then I noticed the motor was no longer working in PAS or with throttle. Made sure all the wire connections were tight, and tried again. No luck. The display briefly flashed "error 14". I can't find any information on that error code or anyone with a similar experience. I've tried all assist levels, disconnecting the wires, and removing the battery and letting it sit overnight, but I'm unable to get the motor working again. When the throttle is pressed, the motor "clicks" to try to start and then nothing. It's almost like the motor is seized or it's in a failsafe mode.

Anyone with a similar experience or suggestions how to reset the controller / motor? Did I just get a bad component? The rest of the bike works as expected, but not as much fun without any power...
      Don't know.
      I never used the throttle, I have no use for the throttle
      As soon as my new 860c meter arrives, I will be removing the throttle from my X1

Comment

Originally posted by thethrillofspeed View Post
        I received my XL X1 last week and took it on its first single track yesterday. Love the bike. Got the normal gear, gear wine is just a touch louder than my daughter's Liv, no problem for me. There is a slight delay on peddling and letting off again not a big deal imo. I was expecting a more power out of the ludicrous, contacted Luna and they said I need a bigger front sprocket. 38 tooth on order. Mine works in 12th without any issues and I saw 28 mph...feel like about 35 would be ideal. GPS checked the speedo and it was right on. I thought I would post a picture of it sized against my XL Diamond Bank 29er, they are very similar in size.
        The 32 tooth chain ring is way under geared on the X1
        Many people install a 40 tooth ring
        I have a video here about that
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dztSHmmMlmU

Comment

• Sebz
          Sebz commented
          Editing a comment
          That is great stuff, can I use that video link incase some customers are looking to replace theirs to 40T's ?

Originally posted by general View Post
        I did notice what many others have already commented on... Level 1 & 2 PAS is inadequate, while 3, 4 and 5 is too much. It would be nice if there was a way to fine tune the percent-of-power input per PAS level. (I have another bafang-based bike which allows me to adjust the PAS power level settings) Also noticed that the high gear is not high enough. Again, like others have already mentioned - I want to install a 38t chain ring.
        I don't find that level one and two are inadequate
        I use both of those all the time to conserve battery on longer rides
        I rarely go above level 3 and it is mostly used on steep climbs
        I have mine set to 9 assist levels

I don't have ludicrous
        I don't have the need for more power than the stock setup has and I may be getting more miles out of a full charge because of that

I have gone 35 miles on my X1 before and that is with 2000+ feet of climbing

But having said all of that, I do wish I could set the power levels for each assist number
        I would leave assist one as it is, but divide up into finer increments
        I would like to have assist levels set up something like this for the first 5 levels
        Based on the current power levels I have now
        1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3
        Last edited by EL34; 05-21-2020, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Ok, so got my glossy red X1 the other day, so happy! I got both the Ludicrous and the silent gear update.

First problem was the seat post. Same sagging down as others have reported. I watched the video and made the recommended adjustment. No luck, tried it a couple of times. I also did as someone suggested and completely removed the cable from the seat. Still sags, so the seat itself is busted. Gonna need to contact Luna on that.

One other thing I have noticed is that if I ride w/o any assist (or just not putting enough force on the pedals to activate the assist) there is a clicking sound as I pedal coming from the motor. If I stop pedalling, it stops. If I pedal enough to engage the motor, it stops and I can only hear the motor.

I’ve included a link to a short video where you can hear it. I assume this isn’t normal? Anybody else have this problem and know what to do?

(Updated to include this YouTube link below. I can’t for some reason delete the original iCloud link...)
          https://youtu.be/UsBRdn53XrU
          Sign in to iCloud to access your photos, videos, documents, notes, contacts, and more. Use your Apple ID or create a new account to start using Apple services.
          Last edited by Shdooby; 05-21-2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Shdooby
            Shdooby commented
            Editing a comment
            Oops. Ok, here’s a YouTube link...
            https://youtu.be/UsBRdn53XrU

• Sebz
            Sebz commented
            Editing a comment
            IF you use the throttle and not pedal does it still click?

• Shdooby
            Shdooby commented
            Editing a comment
            No. If I just use the throttle, no clicking.

Originally posted by EL34 View Post
          I did not mean that the axle itself was a solid shaft.
          I meant it is a very rigid and solid axle, not a skinny quick release rod
          a 'rigid and solid' albeit hollow axle. the rear axle has a tool-less lever somewhat resembling a QR in form if not function. Does make it a breeze to pull though, & I'd love to have one up front too. Looks like the fork would get in the way though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200521_163231 - Copy.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	106393

I don't suppose there's any technical reason the above axle type couldn't be turned into a QR type, by replacing the levered head with a lever and cam. You'd still have to unthread it from the fork/stays though.
          Attached Files

Comment

I received my Matte Black / Ludi / silent gear yesterday.
            It looks and rides great.
            I have a few questions though.

1) Chain Length - is it a must?
            I did upgrade to 40T pretty much as soon as I got it, but I did not change the chain length. Is that required? For that reason I have not unlocked the 12th speed yet as I guess that could stretch the chain too much? Is that why EL recommended to change the chain?

2) Shifting gears - which ones to use on hills?
            I have a 40 degree steep hill coming back home and I'm nervous on which gear I should be on when using assist. Should it be lower (heavier), or higher (lighter)? I never know as I'm too much of a newbie what you guys mean when you say 2nd or 3rd gear :)

3) .... slow?
            Even with 40T chainring, this bike is slower than the Bafang BBSHD 52V I just built last week, especially when climbing. Is this to be expected, or maybe Luna forgot to change the controller to Ludi...?

Thanks!

Comment

• Hapkato
              Hapkato commented
              Editing a comment
              What's the difference in the way the rear derailleur looks between the 32 & 40t? If I had to guess I'd think having a shorter chain would pull the outer pulley down & toward the front chainring. Dunno if it would affect the inner pulley - but if it pulls that back (away from the front chainring) maybe you'd see more skipping links in the higher (less teeth) gears.

And: what do you mean by slow? I was cruising at 26 - 27 mph on the 40 with the 10t rear. If that's slow then ... um, yep. There are some charts toward the beginning of this thread that show tooth combos, cadence, and speed. Check to see if yours match?

• Hapkato
              Hapkato commented
              Editing a comment
              Charts w/ 38t & 40t in post #50 on this thread

• bhaaf
              bhaaf commented
              Editing a comment
              The Bafang BBSHD will smoke the M600. Plus the M600 would over heat before the HD when running hard. I personally would like an X1 with the HD motor. I have the X1 and 2 HD’s emtb and 2 BBS02’s on beach cruisers. I’d also like some shorter crank arms for the X1.

Cautionary tale:

Take-off on a slight downhill grade with a 40t snail using the 10t cassette gear, L5 pedal assist caused this to happen:

Name:	IMG_20200521_005538 - Copy.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	106398

This bent the chain in one spot and broke it in another (upper right, lower right). Of course this happened nearly 20 miles from home. *sigh*

Just for giggles, here's what a Luna 42t narrow wide looks like on the X1:

Name:	IMG_20200521_011313 - Copy.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	988.8 KB
ID:	106399

Name:	IMG_20200521_011707 - Copy.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	106400

There's like 2mm of clearance. This is with the back wheel removed & hanging on a stand. Looks like as the suspension compresses the chainstay will rotate up and away from the chainring, but if it extends at all from this 'hanging/resting' pose, it'll gouge the frame for sure.

Not what I'm posting for though... I may have slightly bend the spider? I'll take it off probably this weekend. All I can think of to check is lay it on a flat surface. Does that sound right / OK? If it is, and I cant beat it straight... is there a replacement to be had?

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              We can probably do special order on the spider email support@lunacycle.com along with your order# and we'll figure out cost

• BillyKidd
              BillyKidd commented
              Editing a comment
              For the snail rings, did you need to source different bolts for the X1?

• Hapkato
              Hapkato commented
              Editing a comment
              The stock chainring bolts fit just fine. The snail is 4mm thick and the spider is ~ 4mm with ~1 mm recess, so you're clamping ~7mm. Numbers with "~" are approximate because I can't get a good read with the caliper.

FWIW, I did ever so slightly bend the spider just at one of the bolt-hole flanges. Still waiting to stick it in the vice to see if I can flatten it out.

Originally posted by JunzyMSFT View Post
            I received my Matte Black / Ludi / silent gear yesterday.

1) Chain Length - is it a must?
            I did upgrade to 40T pretty much as soon as I got it, but I did not change the chain length. Is that required? For that reason I have not unlocked the 12th speed yet as I guess that could stretch the chain too much? Is that why EL recommended to change the chain?

Thanks!
            The chain length is determined by how it sits on the chain ring and largest cog in the rear.
            If the derailleur is forced forward really hard and at it's limit, it won't shift as well as it should
            I buy 126 link chains and remove 2 links making them 124 links
            124 links works really well with my 40 tooth ring and the 50 tooth rear cog

Many new chains are only 116 links

I can't help you with the Ludi info
            I saw no reason to have more power than the stock M600 on a mountain bike
            I rarely go higher than assist level 3 out of 9 on my X1

Comment

Just curious with all the people posting about putting bigger front sprockets on their X-1's, is this because you are riding them on the road? I don't ride my X-1 anywhere but on single track trails, I have had it topped out in 12th in the trails, you wouldn't want to be going much faster than 24 or 25, that is really flying in the woods.

Comment

• Hapkato
                Hapkato commented
                Editing a comment
                While I do take mine on the road, I wasn't comfortable with the 32t anywhere. I guess I'm used to just sticking my bikes in the highest gear and mostly leaving them there. Plus, I mostly ride single track in the Rio Grande bosque (NM), +- 20 feet elevation is probably a stretch even on longer rides.

Originally posted by Hapkato View Post
              Cautionary tale:

Take-off on a slight downhill grade with a 40t snail using the 10t cassette gear, L5 pedal assist caused this to happen:

Name:	IMG_20200521_005538 - Copy.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	106398

Wow - that is pretty impressive! Looks like there is a fair amount of wear on the chain ring - curious if you have an estimate of how many miles it's been on the bike?

Guessing it probably threw the chain due to wear, then bent into the taco due to the Level 5 torque and 40 : 11(?) ratio? [I don't think there is a 10t gear?] I've read several times that high RPM's on this (and really, most all) ebike(s) are your friend. Starting out in L5 + highest possible gear is definitely bad! Well, hopefully not too much damage!

Comment

• Hapkato
                Hapkato commented
                Editing a comment
                10, 11 - I can't count. :) I see what you mean about the wear, but it and the chain are new; less than 100 miles on either. On the back of the ring you can see more significant scarring across all of the teeth face. I think from continuing to pedal shortly after the chain came off. The rear cassette looks fine, and I can't tell with the derailleur - it's already had a couple of hits in the past. You know what they say - If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• BillyKidd
                BillyKidd commented
                Editing a comment
                So for the uninitiated, how do we avoid this? Like simple terms, "always start out under x PAS level and under X gear", sort of answer. Thanks.

• Hapkato
                Hapkato commented
                Editing a comment
                "always start out under x PAS level and under X gear" -- I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Not willing to test through all the possible combinations though, and even if I could there's too many variables to make the results applicable to you. Lesson for me is there is an upper limit of torque the drivetrain is able to handle and me + motor can exceed that. :) I suspect starting in a lower gear will make more of a difference than PAS though.

BillyKidd I've been riding and building high power bikes for 10+ years now and I always tell people new to a HP ebike, get comfortable with shifting the bike (all are a little different) then add power a little bit at a time. My X1 is the first torque sensing PAS I've owned (i've ridden LOTS of others) The X1 ha s a very UNrefined PAS, the power runs WAY to long after the pedaling stops in higher settings. once you learn the bike you can slowly add power. I cringe when I hear crunching and grinding while a new rider shifts a bike under load.

Comment

• BillyKidd
                BillyKidd commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you sir. Another quick question if you don't mind. I don't have my bike yet but ordered a Park Tool 10.2 repair stand. Where on the X1 other than the seat post, is it ok to clamp onto the bike? I realize it is carbon fiber so not looking to damage it in any way.

Originally posted by 350XC-F View Post
              Just curious with all the people posting about putting bigger front sprockets on their X-1's, is this because you are riding them on the road? I don't ride my X-1 anywhere but on single track trails, I have had it topped out in 12th in the trails, you wouldn't want to be going much faster than 24 or 25, that is really flying in the woods.
              I ride all off road but there are still logging forest roads and gravel roads as part of my rides
              You run out of gears really fast with the 32 tooth chain ring

I have a 40 tooth chain ring on my X1 and thet feels just right
              Even on super steep off road climbs, the 40T plus the 50 tooth cog is not a problem

Comment

Working...
              X