Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link, they are out of stock. For the time being I'd like to acquire a factory steel gear?

Comment

Originally posted by Phredn3ck View Post
      Thanks for the link, they are out of stock. For the time being I'd like to acquire a factory steel gear?
      You need to contact Luna. They must have a bunch of gears because they swap them out for the PEEK gears

Comment

HELP! I was riding my X1 last night and my motor just quit. I've only had the bike for a few weeks. My first bike in 30 years - and I'm still figuring it out. I was going up a small hill and was gearing down to make the climb a little easier, I heard the gear change and then - no power. I thought I made sure to not peddle too hard while making the gear change. The battery is over 90%. The display works. I separated the cables and re-attached them but still nothing. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Brycos View Post
          HELP! I was riding my X1 last night and my motor just quit. I've only had the bike for a few weeks. My first bike in 30 years - and I'm still figuring it out. I was going up a small hill and was gearing down to make the climb a little easier, I heard the gear change and then - no power. I thought I made sure to not peddle too hard while making the gear change. The battery is over 90%. The display works. I separated the cables and re-attached them but still nothing. Any ideas?
          Make sure the cables on the back of the meter are pushed in all the way. I had that happened to me a few times with the original meter.

Comment

I'll give it a shot. Thanks Man!

Comment

Love my X-1 Ludi, the bike is a beast. They only thing I have done is upgrade the brakes to Shimano XT ZEE and changed to a 38 tooth crank ring.

Now for the bad news, today at 1329 total miles, 4 of the teeth on the silent gear stripped off, leaving the bike somewhat stranded, with the bike turned off I could pedal it (what a work out) to get back to the truck. I ride steep hilly train of Sycamore canyon in So Cal. with the bike mainly on step 5 of 9.

Any others have a similar failure? Also how do I order another 'silent gear'?

Click image for larger version Name:	image_21585.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	109897
              Wow - sorry to see that - I expect Luna would be the best place to go for a replacement gear. On the gear you have - curiosity gets the best of me...

It looks like a lot of the adjacent gear teeth have heavy wear? and quite a lot of plastic shavings in the grease?

Certainly doesn't look like the failure was due to lack of lube, though possibly excessive lube? (Not sure if that is a factory lube job or aftermarket, but be careful about cramming in a lot of grease - especially with a plastic gear. The excess grease will just churn around in the gear case leading to excessive friction and higher heat - which is bad for plastic!)

Also curious if that is the red mobilgrease 28 everyone raves about? That is a clay thickened grease which basically sacrifices everything for high dropping point / high heat use in the aviation industry. Might not be the best for plastic gears as we definitely don't care about high heat use! I'm not 100% convinced it would even be the best for metal gears... seems like a lot of other factors would be more important for our use... low friction, water tolerance, overall stability/long life, wear reduction, etc.

Either way, hope you're back on the road/trails soon!

Comment

Love my X-1 Ludi, the bike is a beast. They only thing I have done is upgrade the brakes to Shimano XT ZEE and changed to a 38 tooth crank ring.

Now for the bad news, today at 1329 total miles, 4 of the teeth on the silent gear stripped off, leaving the bike somewhat stranded, with the bike turned off I could pedal it (what a work out) to get back to the truck. I ride steep hilly train of Sycamore canyon in So Cal. with the bike mainly on step 5 of 9.

Any others have a similar failure? Also how do I order another 'silent gear'?

Click image for larger version Name:	image_21585.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	109897
                Just curious
                Is your X1 a ludi?

Comment

• bradleyland
                  bradleyland commented
                  Editing a comment
                  1st sentence says: “ Love my X-1 Ludi, the bike is a beast.” :)

Ludi could have something to do with that gear failure
                I have a Non Ludi X1

Comment

Originally posted by K442 View Post

Wow - sorry to see that - I expect Luna would be the best place to go for a replacement gear. On the gear you have - curiosity gets the best of me...

It looks like a lot of the adjacent gear teeth have heavy wear? and quite a lot of plastic shavings in the grease?

Certainly doesn't look like the failure was due to lack of lube, though possibly excessive lube? (Not sure if that is a factory lube job or aftermarket, but be careful about cramming in a lot of grease - especially with a plastic gear. The excess grease will just churn around in the gear case leading to excessive friction and higher heat - which is bad for plastic!)

Also curious if that is the red mobilgrease 28 everyone raves about? That is a clay thickened grease which basically sacrifices everything for high dropping point / high heat use in the aviation industry. Might not be the best for plastic gears as we definitely don't care about high heat use! I'm not 100% convinced it would even be the best for metal gears... seems like a lot of other factors would be more important for our use... low friction, water tolerance, overall stability/long life, wear reduction, etc.

Either way, hope you're back on the road/trails soon!
                  Interesting input on the grease, what type would you reccomend? I have considered a Marine wheel bearing grease but haven't tried it.
                  Last edited by Phredn3ck; 07-17-2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

I doubt the grease is an issue.
                    I have my motor packed with mobile 28 and I have a PEEK gear
                    But I have a non Luidi X1

Comment

Originally posted by aemonn View Post
                      I upgraded my rear shock to a Fox DPX2--very worth while upgrade for anyone considering it. Not sure how accurate, but In firm setting I feel there are significantly less pedal strikes--I didn't particularly feel any excessive pedal bob with the Monarch R, but apparently it was there (I'm using the same % sag, but the DPX2 is much more firm in both firm and lockout mode).

I also added volume spacers to the front and rear shock to make it more progressive which I'm much happier with.
                      What mounting hardware did you use for the DPX2? I put one on mine last night and the thin black spacers were too wide to fit with everything else due to the wider plastic inserts on the DPX2. It's fully functional, I just want to be sure it doesn't have any room to move around laterally. Wondering if there's a Fox mounting hardware kit that's a perfect fit. I'm running pretty high pressure ~>325lbs... Thinking I may need to add a volume spacer to avoid bottoming out.. I still have travel left on it after my initial 20 mile trail ride, but I didn't take any BIG hits.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post

Make sure the cables on the back of the meter are pushed in all the way. I had that happened to me a few times with the original meter.
                        No joy. Made sure everything is attached, took the cover off the motor and reattached all of those cables. I hit the throttle while in power level 1, and the motor made a slight sound like it was trying to engage and then quit. When I tried a second time,nothing. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Brycos View Post

No joy. Made sure everything is attached, took the cover off the motor and reattached all of those cables. I hit the throttle while in power level 1, and the motor made a slight sound like it was trying to engage and then quit. When I tried a second time,nothing. Any ideas?
                          It's time to get Luna to warranty the motor.
                          Contact them to see how they want to proceed
                          I have seen them do motor swaps with customers before

Comment

Have the stock Luna X1 display and the mileage is off by around 30% over actual. Unable to reset wheel size on the display. Was considering the new 860 color display but only if wheel size is adjustable. Anyone know if it truly adjustable on the color display? Description video by Luna shows it being adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post

It's time to get Luna to warranty the motor.
                              Contact them to see how they want to proceed
                              I have seen them do motor swaps with customers before
                              That’s what I was afraid of. Thank you for your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X