Luna X-1 Enduro FS ebike MANUAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Musky View Post
    Have the stock Luna X1 display and the mileage is off by around 30% over actual. Unable to reset wheel size on the display. Was considering the new 860 color display but only if wheel size is adjustable. Anyone know if it truly adjustable on the color display? Description video by Luna shows it being adjustable.
    No, the 860C is locked at 27.5
    On my X1, if I multiply the meter mileage and 0.96, that is closer to the real mileage
    I set up an old school meter and entered my wheel circumference into it to try and find out what the mileage correction formula is

You can see my results here
    Check out the last page
    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-other-x1-mods
    Last edited by EL34; 07-19-2020, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phredn3ck View Post

Interesting input on the grease, what type would you reccomend? I have considered a Marine wheel bearing grease but haven't tried it.
      Oh no! A wise man once told me "Never make recommendations on religion, politics and lubricants! ...and not necessarily in that order!" :)

Here are some studies to consider, though:

https://www.ecllube.com/resources-fo...20Plastics.pdf

Key points:

- These PEEK gears should be compatible with most any lubricant formulation mineral, synthetic, silicone, etc (p. 5)
      - Chart on p.7 highlights the various grease thickeners vs which properties they perform best/worst. Of particular note, bentonite - the thickener in mobillube 28

Another study -
      https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...94114X19308341

Key points
      -Lubricated PEEK gear experienced a 1.23x lifetime increase over a nonlubricated(!) gear. (So it seems while an ideal grease can get you a small increase in life, an improper grease could actually reduce the life vs a no grease at all.)

I have also noted a few studies (sorry, no link handy) which recommend against molybdenum and graphite additives in grease for plastic gears. They claim the moly/graphite can actually diffuse into the plastic, weakening it.

So take a glance at the studies, decide what characteristics and factors are most important for the way you ride and seek grease accordingly!

[edit]PS - warning on over-greasing:
      When it comes to regreasing bearings, more is not always the better option and actually can be a costly mistake. Instead, greasing should be set on a frequency with proper calculations used to...

Comment

Have the stock Luna X1 display and the mileage is off by around 30% over actual. Unable to reset wheel size on the display. Was considering the new 860 color display but only if wheel size is adjustable. Anyone know if it truly adjustable on the color display? Description video by Luna shows it being adjustable.
        As EL34 notes, the error is usually in the low single digit percents. If you're seeing 30% - especially 30% low - you might take a look to make sure the speed sensor is aligned, connections are tight, and no wires are cut/pinched, etc. You might be getting intermittent 'counts' of the sensor causing it to be exceptionally low.

Comment

New mileage record today on my X1

Non Ludi X1 with throttle removed
          40 tooth chain ring

PAS 1 of 9 - 97% of the ride
          PAS 2 of 9 maybe about 2% of the ride
          PAS 3 of 9 maybe about 1% of the ride

I was not sure how long this ride was so I used as little PAS as I could

GPS said 36.92 miles - that's low
          X1 meter said 41 miles miles - that's high
          Actual mileage was 38.59 miles using a meter with actual wheel circumference entered

Starting voltage was 53.9 volts
          Ending voltage was 47.2 volts

It works out to X1 meter mileage x .95413 = today's actual mileage

Click image for larger version

Name:	CatheyCreek_475B_CoveCreek_477_Loop.png
Views:	673
Size:	606.6 KB
ID:	110166

Comment

what do you think about coil shock on the back and double crown fork on the front ?
            can this luna x1 handle that much stress ?
            It would nice to find / build cross country - downhill capable machine with electric assistant.

Comment

Used a GPS to check my mileage accuracy on my X1. I need to multiply my mileage by .65 to have it correct. Speed is only of by about .5 miles per hour. Very strange with no possible adjustment. Everything else works fine and love the bike, just wish there was a way to correct this error.

Comment

Used a GPS to check my mileage accuracy on my X1. I need to multiply my mileage by .65 to have it correct. Speed is only of by about .5 miles per hour. Very strange with no possible adjustment. Everything else works fine and love the bike, just wish there was a way to correct this error.
                GPS is not even close to being accurate.
                I doubt that .65 is the correct amount
                Did you see my post and how far off GPS was compared to X1 and real meter with tire circumference?

Comment

• Dave Mc Gregor
                  Dave Mc Gregor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can you give me the link for your carbon wheel set from Ali express? Thanks.

• Musky
                  Musky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The .65 correction was determined in an open area on a relatively straight route using a GPS. Also was riding with a friend who confirmed the mileage on his bike.

Originally posted by K442 View Post

Oh no! A wise man once told me "Never make recommendations on religion, politics and lubricants! ...and not necessarily in that order!" :)

Here are some studies to consider, though:

https://www.ecllube.com/resources-fo...20Plastics.pdf

Key points:

- These PEEK gears should be compatible with most any lubricant formulation mineral, synthetic, silicone, etc (p. 5)
                - Chart on p.7 highlights the various grease thickeners vs which properties they perform best/worst. Of particular note, bentonite - the thickener in mobillube 28

Another study -
                https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...94114X19308341

Key points
                -Lubricated PEEK gear experienced a 1.23x lifetime increase over a nonlubricated(!) gear. (So it seems while an ideal grease can get you a small increase in life, an improper grease could actually reduce the life vs a no grease at all.)

I have also noted a few studies (sorry, no link handy) which recommend against molybdenum and graphite additives in grease for plastic gears. They claim the moly/graphite can actually diffuse into the plastic, weakening it.

So take a glance at the studies, decide what characteristics and factors are most important for the way you ride and seek grease accordingly!

[edit]PS - warning on over-greasing:
                When it comes to regreasing bearings, more is not always the better option and actually can be a costly mistake. Instead, greasing should be set on a frequency with proper calculations used to...
                Thanks for the deep geek dive into lubrication, the old addage 'you don't know what you don't know' certainly rings true. Great reading!

Comment

Dave Mc Gregor

All my X1 info is here
                  https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-other-x1-mods

Comment

Guys,
                    Why does the first post state that the bike has a "1,1/8" steerer"? I thought that the bike has a tapered steerer tube?

Comment

• paxtana
                      paxtana commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If someone can confirm I'll amend it

• bradleyland
                      bradleyland commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Can confirm it's a tapered steer tube. I haven't pulled the headset, but I believe EL34 is correct that it's a standard 1.125 x 1.5 headset.

• paxtana
                      paxtana commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, updated

Is anyone having temperature issues?
                    on +90 F degree days, I can get my motor to 150 F in about 20 mins. It then starts to step down power dramatically.
                    If I don't stop soon, it quits until it cools down to below 140F. Then it's fine again for a few minutes
                    Note:- I only ride steep singletrack.

Comment

• bradleyland
                      bradleyland commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Floridian here, can confirm that on hot days when the sand is deep, it's possible to hit the thermal limiter. There are two things I do to keep my motor under the thermal limit:

1) Gear down. This is the most important. I find that a difference of just one gear can mean the difference between hitting the thermal limiter and not noticing it at all. I have also noticed that the motor will start to cut power slightly prior to hitting the limiter, so if you notice power softening up, drop a gear.
                      2) Run 9 PAS levels. The PAS really kicks up at level 3/5. The same thing happens with 9 levels, but 3/5 = 0.6 and 5/9 = 0.555. It's a small difference, but I've noticed that when I run 5/9, I don't run into as many issues on hot days. I also try to limit my time above 4/9.

Of those two tips, gearing down is absolutely the big one. Keep in mind that the Ludicrous mod increases the controller output, but it doesn't change the motor's rating. You're still dealing with a lightweight motor designed for 500W nominal power.

Originally posted by mw195 View Post
                    Guys,
                    Why does the first post state that the bike has a "1,1/8" steerer"? I thought that the bike has a tapered steerer tube?
                    Yes it is a 1.125 x 1.5 headset

The first post says this which is misleading

1,1/8" steerer
                    31.8mm on the bars, with a length about 32"
                    Clamp on the stem is 31.8.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Eatough View Post
                      Is anyone having temperature issues?
                      on +90 F degree days, I can get my motor to 150 F in about 20 mins. It then starts to step down power dramatically.
                      If I don't stop soon, it quits until it cools down to below 140F. Then it's fine again for a few minutes
                      Note:- I only ride steep singletrack.
                      No problems here but I don't ride in HELL

Comment

Originally posted by mw195 View Post
                        Guys,
                        I have replaced the lower bearing in my X1 headset
                        It is a your standard 1.125 x 1.5 headset

Comment

is it possible to buy just frame with motor and battery ?
                          so many parts need to be upgraded on this bike.

Comment

Working...
                        X