Luna X-1 Enduro FS ebike MANUAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by x111 View Post
    is it possible to buy just frame with motor and battery ?
    so many parts need to be upgraded on this bike.
    Like what?
    Unless you want to go the full carbon wheel set like I did?
    I have 1200 miles on mine and am amazed at how good the el-cheapo SX drive train has been

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post

Like what?
      Unless you want to go the full carbon wheel set like I did?
      I have 1200 miles on mine and am amazed at how good the el-cheapo SX drive train has been
      like fork needs to be dual crown, rear shock coil, drivetrain heavy duty (scam ex).

Comment

like fork needs to be dual crown, rear shock coil, drivetrain heavy duty (scam ex).
        I doubt that.
        That dual crown thing was already discussed up above somewhere.
        This is not a frame made for that

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post

I doubt that.
          That dual crown thing was already discussed up above somewhere.
          This is not a frame made for that
          that's my major concern about this bike,
          looks like it is toooo weak for me :((

Comment

that's my major concern about this bike,
            looks like it is toooo weak for me :((

Doesn’t seem like a weakness issue, it sounds like you want a heavy duty downhill rig. The X1 is a climbing monster that can hold its own on descents. Dual crown and coil over are not something you’re going to find on a reasonably spec’d enduro. If you are a big guy, then sure you might need to upgrade some components, but the X1 is a lot of bang for the buck. I’ve got 300 miles on mine and have just upgraded the shock to a Fox DPX2, will replace the dropper post with a Fox Transfer for more travel, and *might* upgrade the fork to something like a Fox 36 or 38 sometime down the road. It’s all optional though, and out of the box, the bike is quite good for its intended purpose. If you find something spec’d better for the price, let us know. I haven’t found anything close.

Comment

6’5” 200lb guy with the XL riding buffed out downhills, roots and rocks, and lots and lots of climbing etc.

I have over 2000 miles on mine now and I have had to do the following.
              - new cassette at 1500miles
              - lots of brake pads and several bleeds
              - 1 full shock service
              - retention and true rear wheel

yes. This is not a $10k Yeti nor a bike built for red bull rampage.
              The brakes are the biggest thing I would like to replace but I have made it 2000 miles so far just fine.

Last edited by Tigweld; 07-25-2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• bradleyland
                bradleyland commented
                Editing a comment
                Likewise here. 6’0”, 200 lbs, 1,400 miles. The fork is the least of my worries.

• Rabix
                Rabix commented
                Editing a comment
                6’6 here and 210lbs, on an XL... I love this bike. Just got back from 1:15 hour ride with 1700ft elevation up and down. The X1 can go anywhere, steep rutted climbs, fast decent over rocks and roots, single track twists... I think trying to make it a DH rig will sacrifice a lot of what it does well.

• Rabix
                Rabix commented
                Editing a comment
                Brake pads... yes I’ve only got 320 miles on, checked my rear pads just now and they were nearly down to the spreaders. Put some new MTX gold pads on. Hope they last longer...

Originally posted by Rabix View Post

Doesn’t seem like a weakness issue, it sounds like you want a heavy duty downhill rig. The X1 is a climbing monster that can hold its own on descents. Dual crown and coil over are not something you’re going to find on a reasonably spec’d enduro. If you are a big guy, then sure you might need to upgrade some components, but the X1 is a lot of bang for the buck. I’ve got 300 miles on mine and have just upgraded the shock to a Fox DPX2, will replace the dropper post with a Fox Transfer for more travel, and *might* upgrade the fork to something like a Fox 36 or 38 sometime down the road. It’s all optional though, and out of the box, the bike is quite good for its intended purpose. If you find something spec’d better for the price, let us know. I haven’t found anything close.
              this is why I asked before, if I can order only frame, battery and motor on and put good components myself.
              and yes I want to have heavy duty downhill rig with electric assistance for cheap :)
              something like this "haibike XDURO Dwnhll 8.0" but for cheap and with way better components.
              Last edited by x111; 07-25-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

this is why I asked before, if I can order only frame, battery and motor on and put good components myself.
                and yes I want to have heavy duty downhill rig with electric assistance for cheap :)
                something like this "haibike XDURO Dwnhll 8.0" but for cheap and with way better components.
                Here's the frame, but good luck getting one
                I believe Luna locked up a deal so none could be purchased in the US as a stand alone frame
                27.5ER PLUS FULL HIDDEN E-BIKE FRAME M09 FOR BAFANG MOTOR Use for: 27.5er Plus E-Bike Frame: M09 BAFANG Feature: Thru Axle (148mm) Material: full Toray carbon Finish: UD Matt/Clear coating Frame weight: 280050g (17.5) Headset: Straight (1-1/2 to 1-1/2) Frame travel: 135-152mm Available sizes: 15.5/17.5/19.5/21 Tire size: 27.5er*2.4/2.6/2.8 or 29er*2.3/2.6/2.7 Warranty: 2 years

Comment

"something like this "haibike XDURO Dwnhll 8.0" but for cheap and with way better components."
                  Well, you kinda answer your own question. Even building your own bike, arriving at the Dwnhll will take pretty much the same amount of money as just purchasing the bike outright. Plus, it must MIGHT be easier to get parts for the Haibike.
                  The mental gymnastics I have put into the purchase of this bike have been substantial. I do not even have the bike yet. But I will say that the Haibike was very high on my list as it had some components on it that I really like (Magura, double crown forks, 200mm travel), but also some that I was less enamored with (only 500 wh battery, price).
                  Since I have never ridden an e-bike, I hope that I will not miss the refinement of the power delivery of the big brand bikes with Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano etc motors). I am currently piloting a 120mm 29er GT sensor, so I am confident that the suspension will be a huge upgrade on the X1, and with some assist, I will be able to do some exploring, while still getting a workout.
                  Oh, and you gotta consider the free sharing of experiences from folks like EL34 and others as a plus with this bike. I hope to be able to contribute at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by mw195 View Post
                    "something like this "haibike XDURO Dwnhll 8.0" but for cheap and with way better components."
                    Well, you kinda answer your own question. Even building your own bike, arriving at the Dwnhll will take pretty much the same amount of money as just purchasing the bike outright. Plus, it must MIGHT be easier to get parts for the Haibike.
                    The mental gymnastics I have put into the purchase of this bike have been substantial. I do not even have the bike yet. But I will say that the Haibike was very high on my list as it had some components on it that I really like (Magura, double crown forks, 200mm travel), but also some that I was less enamored with (only 500 wh battery, price).
                    Since I have never ridden an e-bike, I hope that I will not miss the refinement of the power delivery of the big brand bikes with Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano etc motors). I am currently piloting a 120mm 29er GT sensor, so I am confident that the suspension will be a huge upgrade on the X1, and with some assist, I will be able to do some exploring, while still getting a workout.
                    Oh, and you gotta consider the free sharing of experiences from folks like EL34 and others as a plus with this bike. I hope to be able to contribute at some point.
                    Welcome to the future. I look forward to reading your experience. These things (x1 or any good eEnduro) are game changers.

Comment

The geometry of the X-1 is entirely different than the Dwnhill 8.0. I have a riding buddy who has that exact bike. Downhill bike geometry is very different from enduro. I think you’re making a pretty big mistake by trying to turn the X-1 into a downhill bike. Just IMO, of course, but the bikes are very different, and a double crown fork isn’t even the beginning of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bradleyland View Post

The geometry of the X-1 is entirely different than the Dwnhill 8.0. I have a riding buddy who has that exact bike. Downhill bike geometry is very different from enduro. I think you’re making a pretty big mistake by trying to turn the X-1 into a downhill bike. Just IMO, of course, but the bikes are very different, and a double crown fork isn’t even the beginning of it.
                        I guess you are right..
                        I just want downhill bike which can be used as enduro, like 50/50 something.
                        not perfect downhill machine but very capable.
                        and all of it for cheap, at least I want to pay only for parts, and can put all of together by myself.

Comment

#417.1
                        Rabix commented
                        45 minutes ago
                        This sounds pretty spot on for what you are asking for: https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/e-m.../range-vlt-c2/

yes, but it must cost minimum twice less,

all those components costs almost 3 times less !!
                        I have zero interest about their profit !!

also, look at this weak motor "Shimano STEPS E8000"
                        and I have zero interest that they have gov. restriction.
                        Last edited by x111; 07-26-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• Rabix
                          Rabix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Maybe contact this guy, he built one that’s got better geometry for DH: https://youtu.be/iwNVofQxV9c

• joost
                          joost commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It’s been my experience; building is way more expensive than buying close to what you want. Sure you can cobble together parts off eBay but that takes lots of time and more often than not you run into incompatibilities that cost you more in the end.

Whenever you try to make a “hybrid” You end up with an Chevy el Camino. But hey some folks love the el Camino:)

• eskachig
                          eskachig commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm planning on doing something along the lines of what Hans from youtube did - an angled headset + coil fork conversion that will bump me to 170mm. Should be a bit slacker and longer for a burlier feel without dropping the bottom bracket. He went the full 2 degrees, but I'm still waffling. As far as I can tell this is supposed to be a 150mm front and rear frame, so the 66.5 head tube on the geometry chart is already slackerized somewhat.

thanks, Bradleyland I'll try your tricks but I have the same experience as you even if I stay in PAS 1of 3 The pawer cut seems to be around 150f, I wonder if the motor would tolerate a higher setting? I'd be willing to risk it & experiment

Comment

I already posted this in another forum that was actively dealing with this issue, but this one seems to have a bit more going on. Apologies for the repeat, but after about 120 miles, the left crank arm fell off mid-ride this last weekend. Everything was torqued down ahead of time, so next step is loctite all around. The biggest issue (luckily!) is that I lost the cover bolt as you can see in the attached picture.

I emailed Luna on Sunday about a replacement but have yet to hear back. I took a chance and ordered this (thanks to another forum user), but I'm not holding out hope it will work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174012213841

I haven't had any other issues with the bike at all, but I'm not getting back on it until I have a suitable replacement, which I'm worried may be a while.

Any insight/help is most appreciated.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X