Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any updates on the early August shipment?

Comment

• eskachig
      eskachig commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, thank you.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      eskachig the trucking company has scheduled the delivery to us for Friday. Thought you might want to know. Once they get here we can start modding them. Any bikes that were ordered with zero modifications will ship within probably first couple business days after arrival. If you got mods, maybe a few days after depending on where in the preorder queue you are (people that have waited the longest get priority)

• bartrumb
      bartrumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the update.

Can anyone recommend an adapter for the front forks to enable them to fit a standard fork mounted cycle carrier? I’ve struggled to find one.

Comment

Is there a specific torque wrench best to use with the Luna X1? With all the issues with bolts coming g loose it seems a torque wrench will be completely necessary to go over bike b4 each ride. Also sounds like the blue lactate helps but may not be the cure all?

Comment

• MTNYC
      MTNYC commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks I appreciate the response - can you let me know what is the torque one the critical screws on the X1? I noticed Prestacycle has individual torque wrenches and would like to get one or 2 of the main ones to have with me on the bike.....waiting patiently for my luna to arrive...thanks again

• BillyKidd
      BillyKidd commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought this one and a compact allen wrench set:
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• bradleyland
      bradleyland commented
      Editing a comment
      A torque wrench is nice for peace of mind, and if you’re not used to turning wrenches. For example, how would you ever know how tight 8 Nm is unless you’ve used a torque wrench before?

You don’t need any specific torque wrench; just one that uses Newton meters or inch pounds in the range between 2 and 20 Nm. If there’s a Harbor Freight near you, this one is only $20 and will do the job:

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...nch-63881.html

There are a lot of 1/4 inch drive torque wrenches in Amazon that will work too.

You can buy the type that come integrated into a hex driver, but that gets expensive fast. I prefer to simply buy a click-type torque ratchet.

kite_rider
    I removed the throttle from my X1
    Never used it
    My dash is really clean
    Just the controller and the drop post lever

Click image for larger version

Name:	X1_dash.png
Views:	862
Size:	755.7 KB
ID:	112398

Comment

• MTNYC
      MTNYC commented
      Editing a comment
      looking good.....very clean...and I see you got the upgrade on the display - smart choice!!! I am waiting patiently for my x1 to arrive but I am very curious of the PAS levels and how smooth they are? I have a Bafang m400 currently and it is real smooth, no jerkiness in any of the levels, not super powerful but gets the job done!

I have a new Bomber coil shock sitting around waiting for the bike to arrive, but I realized I forgot to order mounting hardware for it. Can I reuse what's currently on the bike? The eyelets are fairly standard across the industry, right?

Comment

• Rabix
      Rabix commented
      Editing a comment
      I put a Fox DPX2 on, and couldn't use the mounting hardware from the old shock... The spacers and bushings didn't mesh properly. So I had to order mounting hardware m8x21.84. Give it a try though, you might have better luck than I did.

• eskachig
      eskachig commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for providing the size, I ordered a hardware kit too. Easier to just spend the $15 now, imo.

Originally posted by MTNYC View Post
    Is there a specific torque wrench best to use with the Luna X1? With all the issues with bolts coming g loose it seems a torque wrench will be completely necessary to go over bike b4 each ride. Also sounds like the blue lactate helps but may not be the cure all?
    I just use a wrench and see it if bolts are tight enough.
    Never really had to have a torque wrench in my 40+ years of building and working on bikes

Comment

• MTNYC
      MTNYC commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks - appreciate the response and I think I have been watching some of your Youtube videos - great stuff!!

• eskachig
      eskachig commented
      Editing a comment
      40 years of wrenching on bikes goes a long way. You've got a solid feel for these things, honed by decades of trial and error.

Studies have shown that professional mechanics can often approximate a torque rating without a torque wrench - but they also tend to use one. Occasional hobbyists are all over the place. With things that are surprisingly easy to crack or crush with overtightening like carbon, using a torque wrench is a great safety net - and also helps build that muscle memory. The "error" part of that equation just starts getting too painful.

A couple of decades of wrenching on motorcycles made a big believer in following manufacturer torque specs to the letter no matter how bizarre they are (BMW, I'm thinking of your goofy 20NM + 180 degrees bolts). Your life is on the line in that sphere.

Where can I get a derailleur hanger from for the X-1 enduro?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      You can email support@lunacycle.com and special order one. It is also worth bearing in mind that a hanger can be straightened multiple times before it needs replaced.

• MTMDMD
      MTMDMD commented
      Editing a comment
      How do you bend them back?

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      There are videos on YouTube showing how to do it

I own the Park derailleur tool that lets you adjust the hanger so that it is exactly parallel to the wheel
    It has paid for itself many times over in the last 20 years
    The hanger can be off horizontally and vertically

If you want to get it aligned right, any bike shop can do that for you.

This is how the tool works
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXfvW0L3iLM

Comment

Any chance Luna will provide ability to flash the latest Bafang firmware for the M600? I've read it is much improved in terms of both smoothness and efficiency. I find my X1 (non-ludi) almost unusable at lower PAS (1-2 of 5). I believe this is the Luna tuning as the bike is fine at higher PAS (3-5 of 5). I would like to purchase the BESST tool (approx $100) and flash the latest firmware from Bafang. I contacted FLX and they provide the BESST tool for their customers and allow programming. They said they would NOT sell the BESST tool unless the motor was purchased from FLX. How about it Luna? Can you please provide this option. Now that Luna is offering proper 150mm cranks the only thing holding this bike back is the Luna tuning (at least on the non-ludi M600).
      Last edited by tomdav; 08-31-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Bikerbiker
        Bikerbiker commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be great. I do have the Ludacris mod, and find the abrupt torque to be unusable in any off road situation. If Bafang has a software update, I would buy a $100 tool to change the settings. Or even pay Luna $100 or $200 for an appropriate tune.

• eskachig
        eskachig commented
        Editing a comment
        Does this latest batch of X1s come with the new Bafang firmware - the non-Ludi versions anyway?

• tomdav
        tomdav commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi paxtana, I have followed up with Eric but got no reply. I will reach out again.

The longer I wait for the bike, the more crazy thoughts I keep getting.

Anyone ever do a single speed conversion of this beast? I bet there is meaningful improvement in suspension feel. Something like a 32x20 gearing should keep things pretty efficient.
      Last edited by eskachig; 08-31-2020, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I seen someone comment on another forum. It is EXACTLY the same behavior I experience with my Luna BABE with M600 non-ludi.

Quote: As far as torque sensing. I think Luna did something to the M600 tuning that makes the torque sensing substandard a low PAS. I suspect they tuned it for the Ludi controller and f-ed up the non-ludi M600 in the process. Or they gave me ludi programming by mistake. As noted earlier, on my X1 the torque sensing is awful in PAS 1-2. It's only usable on a steep hill where you are putting constant pressure on the pedals, but even then it will cut out mid cadence unless you are diligent. On flats it's almost unusable. I'd almost rather ride without PAS on flats (vs PAS 1 or 2) because at least you aren't fighting annoying bursts of on and off. I only ride in PAS 3+ on my X1 because they seem to use a different torque sensing recipe (I suspect it's the standard M600 tuning).

Comment

• tomdav
          tomdav commented
          Editing a comment
          bhaaf one thing I find useful with throttle being tied to PAS level is it makes PAS 1 and 2 (of 5) usable. The problem I have in lower PAS is power cuts out mid cadence and doesn't really become smooth until PAS 3. I can gun throttle in PAS 1 and 2 to prevent the motor from cutting out, and it's not too much power so it's almost like a poor man's cadence sensing. Other than that, for non-ludi throttle is pretty much a "big yawn" as EL34 refers to it. But unlike him I have no plans to take it off as it makes the lower PAS worth something!

• tomdav
          tomdav commented
          Editing a comment
          paxtana, that's really strange that you have no access, even your lead tech! Both FLX and cnebikes offer it to customers. Can you at least reach out to bafang and ask them about the latest firmware? I cannot imagine they haven't made any improvement since the release of the motor. Worst case I'll just upgrade my controller when innotrace comes out with one for the M600. Or maybe I'll order a spare motor from cnebikes and get a BESST tool with programming to test for science and rent it out to desperate X1 owners, lol. You guys have come out with the PEEK gear and shorter cranks, I just hope you can works a little more magic to get us the latest and greatest (if it exsits) from a tuning perspective.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Tell you what, if you want to get a besst from alibaba and hit me up, I can get you a login from Luna-mate. However I can neither promise it will work out to flash with or that it would be usable with a given firmware; different logins will not work with different firmwares, i.e. you can not use an flx firmware without an flx login. And it probably goes without saying but if you end up finding out you do not like the firmware you believe is better, there's no going back. If you are not prepared to potentially totally screw up your ebike then probably best to leave it as is.

tomdav
        On my non Ludi X1, my only complaint is that 1,2 an 3 of 9 is too powerful.
        I would like to dial back the assist on those 3 levels

Comment

• eskachig
          eskachig commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like to get the most out of this bike you have to learn how to pedal "circles". It's easier with clipless pedals, but modern platforms are secure enough to make it work too - you can't pull up, but you can push forward and back.

• tomdav
          tomdav commented
          Editing a comment
          And yet no other eMTB requires clipless pedals for torque sensing to operate smoothly. Sadly it is an endless list of excuses for the M600 tuning. The youtube comparison to the Turbo Levo makes a claim that it's hard to tune because the motor is so powerful. Somewhat comical.

• dhartst
          dhartst commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm running flats. I've upgraded the pedals to some nice race face with pins and wear some 510 rubber soul sneakers so they're pretty solid. I'll admit I do like to pedal pretty consistently coming from a cross bike with lots of road and less technical trail riding so maybe it's just a case of my cadence matching up with the way the bike works.

tomdav
        ​​​​​​​Yep, mine is different it seems than others

You can see a bunch of my ride info here.
        https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-other-x1-mods

I climb a few thousand feet on my rides and some very steep stuff
        I ride on 1-9 most of the day and go up to 40 miles on my X1

Mine is a very early X1 from 2019
        Last edited by EL34; 09-03-2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I have been using clipless pedals on all my bikes since the 90's
          The X1 is no exception
          It's just a way more efficient way to pedal a bike

Comment

Just upgraded the front fork to a Zeb 180 ;) Will take her out on the rough stuff tomorrow. I think I like the slacker angle which results from the longer fork.

Comment

• Rabix
              Rabix commented
              Editing a comment
              Mw195, I kept it 27.5 front and back, and went with e*thirteen wheels / hubs, tubeless as well to lessen unsprung weight. Also switched to Code RSC for the front brake, and upped the rear rotor to 200mm.

• Rabix
              Rabix commented
              Editing a comment
              eskachig, yeah when I pulled out the bottom cup of the headset, and compared it to the works components set, it was clearly shorter, it also has a bevel and the works components is pretty square. I think the XL has some different dimensions on the headset, I got the recommendation from https://youtu.be/emN-F59Ayq8 and he’s running the works components 2º without issue.

• eskachig
              eskachig commented
              Editing a comment
              In that youtube video he gives the model as "Slackerizer Angle Headset - 2 Degree - UK Made T7-4 EC44/ZS56 120-130mm Taper Steerer this is the one you need." - that's actually the Superstar components one, not the Works one. And on the specs, they have different bottom cup insertion lengths - 10mm vs 16. Superstar was the only one I could find that makes them in 10mm, and they simply don't ship to the US or have any resellers and seem impossible to find.

I ended up ordering that one in 110-120 head tube length and had it shipped to my folks in the EU. Eventually it will get here somehow.
          Working...
          X