Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner here anyone know which battery percentage to trust seems the bat is accurate but the computer isint??? Upgrades bars seat and pedals so far im loving the x1 ludicrous 38t came on my front sprocket battery drops right out dropper didn't need adjusting seems lunacycle is listening also no loose hardware! Very pleased 6'9 260lbs

Comment

• MTNYC
      MTNYC commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice bike rack - do u mind sharing the name of it? Also, is PAS 1 and 2 pretty smooth? Waiting for my bike to arrive...

• Talltex
      Talltex commented
      Editing a comment
      Pass 1 and 2 are exactly like everyone says on off kina of thing until you really pedal hard i find myself using pass 2 and a bit of throttle. My bike rack was bought of Amazon designed to carry 2 but 60lbs total. I haven't driven with it yet but its definitely stable i can bounce my car around with it

Originally posted by Talltex View Post
    New owner here anyone know which battery percentage to trust seems the bat is accurate but the computer isint??? Upgrades bars seat and pedals so far im loving the x1 ludicrous 38t came on my front sprocket battery drops right out dropper didn't need adjusting seems lunacycle is listening also no loose hardware! Very pleased 6'9 260lbs
    Battery % is not accurate.
    The battery can be fully charged to 54.6 volts but the meter can only be set to 52 volts.
    The 860C meter lets you change the display to voltage, which is a way better indicator

Comment

I upgraded mine with rockshox coil springs rear shocks, carbon fiber handle bar, 220mm rotor up front and 200mm rear, carbon fiber enve wheels, revgrips and a carbon fiber saddle. This Luna X1 looks pretty dang sic bike. I love mine and no issues so far. I’m constantly checking all the bolts and linkages. I am pretty happy with it. EL34 is very helpful and I like his videos.

Comment

Can anyone from Luna confirm headset related numbers, specifically the maximum bottom cup insertion length? Works offset headsets seem to require 16mm. Slackerizer headsets from Superstar Components require 10mm, but it seems to be absolutely impossible to get them in the US.

Slackerizer seems to be confirmed to work in this build thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...c.php?t=106304

For that matter, does anyone know of an offset angle headset that will fit the bike?
        Last edited by eskachig; 09-06-2020, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eskachig View Post
          Can anyone from Luna confirm headset related numbers, specifically the maximum bottom cup insertion length? Works offset headsets seem to require 16mm. Slackerizer headsets from Superstar Components require 10mm, but it seems to be absolutely impossible to get them in the US.

Slackerizer seems to be confirmed to work in this build thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...c.php?t=106304

For that matter, does anyone know of an offset angle headset that will fit the bike?
          I have replaced the bottom bearing on my X1
          It takes a bunch of abuse
          It's just your everyday standard 1 1/8"-1 1/2" Tapered headset
          It's exactly the same as 3 of my other bikes

I usually just buy the cheap headsets for the bearings only

This one fits all my bikes
          https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32899963977.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	Headset.png Views:	0 Size:	123.1 KB ID:	113311

I have used El Cheapo Neco headsets also

Click image for larger version

Name:	headset2.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	113312

Comment

• eskachig
            eskachig commented
            Editing a comment
            42mm/52mm? That's yet another size in the mix. Wouldn't it be this one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32898172179.html - I suppose if you aren't changing the cups, the bearing themselves would be the same size. These Zitto bottom cups definitely look closer to 10mm than 16mm inserted at a glance. They don't make an offset headset, otherwise I'd try it out.

Quick question:
          X1 with the 860c display.
          The menu indicates a 52v battery. I thought the specs on the X1 were 48v.
          also, menu —> Advanced Setting
          What’s “Bike Mode” (Eco/sport).
          And what’s “boost”?
          Thanks!
          Last edited by general; 09-06-2020, 06:33 PM.

Comment

@general
            4.2 x 13 = 54.6 volts - The 52 volt setting is what you use
            None of those other settings are useable on the X1 as far as I know

eskachig
            That headset link I provided is correct. Look next to the 42-52mm and it says this 1/8"-1 1/2" Tapered Tube

Comment

• eskachig
              eskachig commented
              Editing a comment
              The bearings on these are exactly the same - that 44/56mm semi-integrated headset also has a 52mm lower bearing. Both are for tapered steerers, with an included adapter for straight ones.

I miss the old days when there were way less standards. I ordered the same model of slackerizer as that Norway fellow did for his M09 since it worked for him without modifications. Going by the spec sheet from Dengfu, it should be an ID 44/56mm frame.

http://www.dengfubikes.com/uploads/s...1728328611.pdf

Anybody else have a terribly creaky frame mount for rear shock?

I haven't seen any other posts about this. I just received 2 X1s (one large and one medium). On the medium, the rear shock mount is terribly creaky, especially on the front thru bolt. I took the bolt out halfway (so I didn't decompress the shock) rubbed some very light wd40 on where the bolt seats. It helped the creak for a few minutes.
            ​​​​​
            I was to somehow grease where the bolts sit against the frame, but I don't know what is safe for the frame.

Any recommendations?

Comment

• eskachig
              eskachig commented
              Editing a comment
              I would use a light coating of real grease on the body of the bolt itself (something heavy that won't migrate to the bushing interface, I use Phil Woods green grease), and locktite on the threads. Torque to spec.

And you probably want to air down the shock and remove the bolt completely to do this properly.
              Last edited by eskachig; 09-07-2020, 02:58 PM.

• golivefree
              golivefree commented
              Editing a comment
              Super helpful! Thank you. I'll try that out this week.

Originally posted by EL34 View Post
            @general
            4.2 x 13 = 54.6 volts - The 52 volt setting is what you use
            That math on the display setting doesn't make a lot of sense. 4.2V is peak voltage, but battery systems are normally referred to by their nominal voltage (3.6V-3.7V). 52V is nominal for a 14S pack, but the X-1 pack is 13S, which is 48V nominal.

This seems like a conflict. I would expect to run the display under a 48V setting, or the percentage state-of-charge will be off.

Comment

• general
              general commented
              Editing a comment
              @bredleyland - this. Regarding state-of-charge, that's what I was thinking.

Originally posted by bradleyland View Post

That math on the display setting doesn't make a lot of sense. 4.2V is peak voltage, but battery systems are normally referred to by their nominal voltage (3.6V-3.7V). 52V is nominal for a 14S pack, but the X-1 pack is 13S, which is 48V nominal.

This seems like a conflict. I would expect to run the display under a 48V setting, or the percentage state-of-charge will be off.
            I am going by real world voltages on my X1
            I don't do full charges all the time to extend my battery life, so it's rare I see 54volts or higher

I typically start a ride at somewhere in the 53+ volt range
            So 52 volts makes sense to me
            It's way closer than 48 volts

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post
              @general
              Both of those advanced settings are selectable.
              Bike mode allows you to select between ECO or Sport.
              Boost is a Y/N (yes, no option)

I tried boost, once - the bike took off very quickly, and kept going, even after I stopped peddling. I turned it off, immediately - as it was an unpredictable result. I'm wondering what I should expect.
              Not sure what Bike Mode is.

Comment

Originally posted by general View Post

Both of those advanced settings are selectable.
                Bike mode allows you to select between ECO or Sport.
                Boost is a Y/N (yes, no option)

I tried boost, once - the bike took off very quickly, and kept going, even after I stopped peddling. I turned it off, immediately - as it was an unpredictable result. I'm wondering what I should expect.
                Not sure what Bike Mode is.
                Yes, that is what I meant by useable :)

Comment

Fedex santa dropped by today. The box was so beat up he suggested I open it right there to check if the bike's still acceptable - bike came through completely unscathed, it seems like. He said he had three Luna boxes on his truck today :)

I remember there was some discussion about rim width earlier, so I wanted to drop the stock information in this thread. The rims with the OEM wheelset are Alex MD35s - the internal width on these is 35 as the name implies. Clearance looks quite ample, so I'm not expecting any problems with my i38mm carbon rims.

Stock clearance:

Name:	IMG_9970.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	930.3 KB
ID:	113572

Comment

• Desmodromic
                    Desmodromic commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for sharing this, much appreciated!

Does anyone have any idea what kind/brand of bash guard that would fit Luna X1?

Comment

• eskachig
                    eskachig commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You'd need something purpose-made. I've seen people fabricating something to replace the existing plastic cover on the bottom.

I was checking the dreaded chainstay pivot bolts, and saw something interesting.

Name:	IMG_9976.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	790.0 KB
ID:	113647

Are these being assembled with red (permanent) loctite now? Or is that some kind of grease...

Comment

Working...
                  X