Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_1282.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	126099

And here is the bottom plate

Comment

I've been emailing Seb from Luna about the ERROR 30 and the broken battery compartment.
      Luna wants me to pay $65 for both battery plastic compartment with the main harness to fix the error 30. I emailed back and ask why since its a WARRANTY issue (purchased bike Jan 2021). Waiting for his replay back.
      I thought they would give it for FREE to replace the broken items. Its not even sure if it's going to fix the error30 issue since I may need the display dpc240 which he didn't say he will include it.
      I'm just afraid that Luna a will just nickel and dime me to get this 3month old bike fixed and running. It seems they like to send piece by piece to fix this error 30 and to limit just giving the display and main harness all at once. But its better for the consumer to get all items to get it fixed and not waste customer's time by waiting for piece by piece trouble shooting,, and mail each item to get it working. Such a waste of time!
      Having regrets purchasing this Luna ebike!
      Last edited by Texasaj35; 04-13-2021, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• ribeyesteaks
        ribeyesteaks commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, that sucks. Yeah, I would expect that they would replace something under warranty. Then need to redesign that part out of aluminum.

Heads up X1 spare batteries are restocked, they'll probably go fast so if anyone in this thread wanted one, now's the time to get one.
      https://lunacycle.com/luna-x1-replacement-battery/

Comment

Texasaj35

I used to get the #30 errors on the original display because one of the connectors would pull loose very slightly and would not stay pushed in
        It happened a couple times to me while doing steep climbs
        Tell me that does not suck to lose power on a climb :)

It could be you have a connector or cable problem
        Like one of the pins is not making a good connection
        You can test that buy buying a new cable and connect it directly from the motor to the meter on the outside of the frame
        There are new cables on Amazon and other places and that would be the easiest way for you to eliminate the cable as the problem

Comment

• Texasaj35
          Texasaj35 commented
          Editing a comment
          They sent the main harness for free but had to pay $35 for both battery mounts even its under 6 months and should be covered with the warranty. Luna Lead Rep/tech replied "Same for the battery latch, I know this bike is a mountain bike but still hard landing on a 3 foot drop without straps can cause them to crack like this so this I cannot cover unfortunately."
          I was thinking then why not provide the straps then ?? Then why Luna X1 ENDURO bike ?? It should be Luna X1 ride from your garage to the park bike. Smdh...anyways, Im building my an analog bike from GG where I can change the geometry of the bike on my own. Just waiting for them to have items in stock. I'm patient and will build the quality bike that I want.
          I gave up on Luna not knowing this bike is not meant for what I want.

delrin would have been a much better alternative to the harder plastic like what they used for the battery retainer/mount. Granted, I knew when I bought a full suspension ebike for less than 4G's there could be some issues. Seems like the battery is not held in snuggly. I can feel a little play at the top of the battery and can push it in a mm or 2, so I can see how that bouncing around will transfer stress throughout the mount. I am working on a cheap and easy solution to try and make it a little more robust.

I will not take the battery out to charge it and minimize how often the mount and connectors get moved and possibly stressed. No real reason to take the battery out.
        Also, the down tube/battery compartment will get mud and dirt covered, I am making a plastic guard piece that is 3.5inches wide by 20 and 7/8ths long and will be held on with 2-3 cinching velcro straps I have. This will keep dirt and mud from getting around the edges of the battery where it mates to the frame and hopefully keep tension on the battery so there is no felt slop and the locking device is just for that and not the main stressed holding mechanism for the battery. These straps cinch down nice and tight, so that should hold the plastic guard/cover on really good. Definitely will help keep the frame cleaner and can't hurt supporting the battery-
        Last edited by 2wheelsanything; 04-14-2021, 08:05 AM.

Comment

My X1 battery is snug and hard to get out without using a small screw driver to pry gently
        Looking at the internals may find why the battery is loose on your bike
        The lock may be loose?

Comment

• 2wheelsanything
          2wheelsanything commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, mine when I turn the key, the battery will drop out just a little and I can use my finger to get it to come the rest of the way out. I noticed this when I first got the bike and saw some of these mounts cracking, I decided to check mine and it looks good but that is when I noticed this small amount of slop. It is not huge and I could probably use some small velcro squares like "pads" to take up the room and make it nice and snug as well, but I am still gonna make my cover. Too easy and keeps the battery from getting mud and crud all along the edges and in the compartment.

• ribeyesteaks
          ribeyesteaks commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. Both bikes, the battery is SUPER snug.

• Brian99
          Brian99 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine fits tight also. I generally need a tool to pry it out until I can get my fingers on the edges. Mine is a month old. Is yours from this last batch, or older?

I don't have an X1 and please, no offense meant - I may be way out in left field - but.... why aren't you guys that are riding on aggressive terrain just using voile straps or similar around the battery? Keeps them snug and seems like might prevent at least some of the issues you guys are having with the mounts. I do that with every downtube battery I have since before I did that they all cracked, broke or gave problems with the electrical connector and then after never a problem...

Comment

• KTMracer63
          KTMracer63 commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly.....
          Some Home Depot 10lb strength velcro inside (not a lot is needed, still have to be able to pull the battery out) the X1 compartment "along with an outside strap" (also from Home Depot) is a great combination....works great!
          Last edited by KTMracer63; 04-15-2021, 08:31 AM.

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
        I don't have an X1 and please, no offense meant - I may be way out in left field - but.... why aren't you guys that are riding on aggressive terrain just using voile straps or similar around the battery? Keeps them snug and seems like might prevent at least some of the issues you guys are having with the mounts. I do that with every downtube battery I have since before I did that they all cracked, broke or gave problems with the electrical connector and then after never a problem...
        The X1 battery is inside the frame

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I understood that but it still seems like something that will prevent the battery from rattling around is what's needed

Pretty simple...and a Day 1 mod.
        No plastic or metal with outside strap to scuff into the carbon frame.
        Inside the compartment, DO NOT use the entire sheets of velcro, otherwise you'll be going to war removing the battery.
        $7.50.....otherwise, enjoy the wait getting replacement parts.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by KTMracer63; 04-15-2021, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          After breaking mounting tabs on one mount, arcing one set of connector contacts and cracking one battery shell, I started by using the velcro stuff - I've been keeping rolls of 1/2" and 3/4" around for decades, it's got a ton of uses.

I went to the voile straps for the batteries for several reasons though - they are rubber and "grip" the material beneath them much better, you can get a *lot* more tension on them (roughly order of magnitude), they are a little quicker to deploy, they don't stick to things when you aren't using them and the velcro eventually wears out although if you buy it by the roll it's pretty cheap... the metal "buckles" on them doesn't touch the material underneath so there's no worry about scratching

You can only push up from the bottom of the battery since the sides and top are enclosed in the frame
        Any straps you use should maybe have a piece of rubber or something with thickness so that they will pull the battery up tight into the frame.
        But, as was mentioned above, straps will most likely scuff up the frame surface from vibrartion?

Don't know since my X1 battery is very snug inside my frame so nothing else is needed.

Comment

• KTMracer63
          KTMracer63 commented
          Editing a comment
          and adding the inner compartment velcro adds just "that slightly" more lip of battery body (2 to 4mm at most) for the cinch strap to pull up into...would have to hit something pretty substantial to get mine to move.

• Brian99
          Brian99 commented
          Editing a comment
          I got my X1 about 5 weeks ago. My battery was difficult to remove, to get it to move out to grab the edges. So after reading this, I checked all of the screws on the battery and its mounts. Most were right on, and I re-tightened. 2 philips were stripped, but only have to hold shear? so were okay. Now my battery drops out a couple of mm so that I can grab it when I unlock it. Maybe I heard it rattle on bumpy rides. I I added a small patch of mastic in the frame and there is no play now. I had also dry lubed the locking pin thing with my plant-based wax, which helps it slide in and out.
          BTW, mastic is what I have used for frame protection where needed, even on the ends of the crank arms. I love that stuff now; I had never used it before, but it's also apparently from trees. It also damps resonance great.

• KTMracer63
          KTMracer63 commented
          Editing a comment
          If you're referring to the 2 phillip screws for the battery pins mount, I thought mine were stripped at first also, there are nuts on the other side that are hard to see unless you remove the motor cover guard. Those 2 nuts hold the pin assembly/cable to the bracket going to the motor. I bought spare mounts from Luna, if you want I'll share a pic of it.
          Last edited by KTMracer63; 05-03-2021, 08:02 PM.

Ive been riding for some time now but this is my 1st ebike. And given how rough the terrain I ride on, I will buy the velcro straps to provide support on this heavy battery for sure.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd encourage you to look into the voiles, they really do work a lot better although I think the velcro are better than nothing and I stopped having issues when I started using them... but it's really obvious once I got the voiles they are not just a little better...

OTOH the velcro stuff is so useful for all kinds of things you probably wouldn't think of until you have a bunch of it around, so either way, I'd just get a roll or two - roll pricing is *much* less expensive... I'm likely cutting of a stretch at least every week for some sort of thing... the most obvious is cable wraps... but frankly they are so ubiquitous in my life I remember that I cut some from the rolls a couple of times last week but I can't honestly remember what for LOL

Texasaj35
        I would think you could have fixed those battery ends?
        Thin material and epoxy would be what I would have tried first

Comment

• Texasaj35
          Texasaj35 commented
          Editing a comment
          If I had the bike for 2 or 3 yrs already.....but having it for 3 months = use warranty first. But I didn't know I'll be out of a bike for a month trying to fix it using the warranty claim.

Yah, there’s a bit too much marketing fluff; if it’s not an enduro bike don’t call it one. I really can’t believe the warranty doesn’t cover jumping a full suspension enduro bike. If that’s the case, put it alongside the marketing.

Comment

• KTMracer63
          KTMracer63 commented
          Editing a comment
          First off, any serious jumping with a less than mediocre suspension isn't very bright to begin with...
          The Monarch shock is like $230...what tha **** do you expect?
          The Yari fork is really better suited for a 20 to 30lbs bike, not a 55lb tank.

Upgrading to better performing suspension, one is still below the price of the competition by about 2Gs.

LOLOL
          Last edited by KTMracer63; 04-19-2021, 07:09 PM.

the 15inch Voile strap is the perfect length. It goes on the first hole and stays nice and tight and not alot of extra strap sticking out. I positioned mine where the strap/buckle is on the inside of the frame.

Comment

Howdy all. Newbe here. I am interested in buying an X1 and have been reading the posts to get a feel for the bike from all of you. I am conflicted. Currently I have 2 giant stance bikes, the wife's bike has a bbs02 and mine has a BBSHD both of which I custom programmed. The Giant stance seems to be an OK bike and the battery fits well on the downtube. Happy with both bikes and mine has many upgrades. We are seniors and do not ride crazy hard like all the younger people.

My bike which is a 2015 giant stance has about 8000 miles on it and the frame, swing arm, shocks, forks, etc are near worn out, however I am able to keep it going for now. I have always treated toys like this roughly, but not so much now that I am older. My best options may be to replace the Stance (if they ever become available from Giant) or buy an X1 when they become available. After reading the many great posts here, I am concerned about the reliability of the X1 as well as parts and battery availability.

Have many of you here made the transition from a custom bike with a BBSHD to X1? Regrets? Please tell me all about your experiences if you have. Much appreciated.

From what I have read it would be great to have an X1 with a BBSHD cleanly tucked into it. I am also concerned with the lack of programming of the X1. My custom programs for the BBS are simply even spaced power increments for predicable easy use with some very low power options for flat rides. We also like the shift stall sensor and brake cutoff safety switches. We do use the throttle sparingly mostly for starts and slow speed navigation through tricky terrain trying to minimize pedal strikes and potential falls.

Thanks for any feedback.

Comment

Working...
          X