• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    joegold100
    Ebiker

• joegold100
    commented on 's reply
    Incredible news to report on this issue! - I broke the Peek Gear on a Sunday. I shipped my Bafang motor back to Luna Cycle on Tuesday. It arrived at their shop on Wednesday. By Thursday morning it had already been repaired and shipped back to me on Friday. It arrived at my door today (Saturday) morning! Is that insane or what? I can't tell you how happy I'am with Luna Cycle support and repair. These guys are amazing! If there is anyone out there who is reading the X1 forum and trying to decide whether they should buy an EMTB from Luna Cycle or direct from a Chineese company, use my experience with this repair as a lesson. Could you even imagine how long my bike would have been broken if I had to ship my motor back to mainland China? If you have ever shipped anything to China you also already know that the only way to track an item is to use air shipment from any of the big carriers. A 10 lb. item like the motor would have cost me about $350 each way to ship to China and back. Then just think of all the time it would have taken to repair it and get back to me. I would estimate 2-3 months. Let's just also consider that it is the summer right now. Everyone is riding hard and likely there are a lot of repairs coming into Luna Cycle at this time. The fact that their customer service and repair techs are that good to do a turn around on a warrantee repair right now speaks volumes for just how great this company is. Thank you Paxtana! You and your team are excellent. I'm extremely grateful for the excellent support that you and your team provide.
    joegold100
    Ebiker
    Last edited by joegold100; 07-17-2021, 03:03 PM.
  • bengreens

• bengreens
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, paxtana!
  • paxtana
    Administrator

• paxtana
    commented on 's reply
    The motor has a serial. That's it.
  • bengreens

• bengreens
    replied
    Do X-1s have serial numbers, and if so, where would I find it? I've looked in all the usual places with no luck. I'm posting my medium-frame X-1 on Craigslist and they're asking for S/N. Will see if they accept it without, but it would be nice to have in any case. Keeping my large-frame!

Leave a comment:

• joegold100
    Ebiker

• joegold100
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Paxtana - I did not realize all this time on this forum that you were the Luna CSM! I've now shipped the motor back and it should arrive at your shop tomorrow afternoon. I've decided to replace the PEEK silent gear with the same one and keep the steel gear for backup. I greatly appreciate the great support of you and your team and I look forward to getting my bike back on the trails as quickly as possible. Thank you again!
  • paxtana
    Administrator

• paxtana
    commented on 's reply
    joegold100
    Ebiker
    joegold100 If that is a concern put in a request that they include the original steel gear when shipping the motor back.

Feel free to mention in the email that I authorized it.

That way if you ever do want to go back to steel, or need to as the case may be, you will already have it.

Our shop can also swap it to steel and include a replacement peek as well if you prefer. Either way.
  • joegold100
    Ebiker

• joegold100
    commented on 's reply
    K442 - So there have only been a few plastic gear breaks reported? I honestly feel like I ride like a baby compared to the videos I see posted of "real" mountain bike riders. I do think you are right. It was just an unlucky set of circumstances where I was pushing hard to get up an uneven, rocky hill, and also the suspension was loaded since I had just came down hard and went up hard. Yes, the terrain here is hard, and rocky, but even if you watch the video, that was not anything I would consider something that should have snapped that gear.

I did, again get great support from Luna. They offered options and Ive already taken the motor out to send it back to them tomorrow. I felt like I could do the repair myself, but my motor has another 3 months warranty on it. If I did the repair myself and something else goes wrong, I will most likely void that warranty.

I'm currently stuck in a dilemma though. I was gong to tell Luna to put the factory steel gear back in. However, I have multiple people telling me they have been killing and battering that plastic gear for years and never broke one yet. Then you have me who rides (what i consider moderately) and I break it in 3 months. I really, really, don't know if I should try again with the plastic or go back to the steel gear. The noise is a major concern because I make a lot of videos but getting stuck again in high heat, is a safety factor. I really don't know what to do yet....
    joegold100
    Ebiker
    Last edited by joegold100; 07-12-2021, 06:09 PM.
  • jjdicecco

• jjdicecco
    replied
    so I ended up pulling off the cover on the side of the motor and unplugged it There was moisture in there and I saw this.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	X1 MOTOR.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	131826

Leave a comment:

• K442
    commented on 's reply
    Ouch! Well, sorry to hear the news. Does sound like the gear may be a few teeth short of a full load now! There have been a few broken gears reported, so don't feel like you're the only one! Believe you also had a ludi version? Seems like the plastic gear may not be playing well with the ludi's. Interestingly, i think the bafang OEM motor (at 250-500W) may start out with a nylon gear and that gets changed to steel for the luna 750W version, but then the 'silent' gear is offered as another option for the 750W / 2000 ludi version. Though at least the 'silent' gear is reportedly PEEK plastic (poly ether ether ketone) which is a remarkably durable engineering plastic. It typically shows service temperatures in the 480-570F range, depending on whether its using standard PEEK, or a glass filled composite which has the higher service temp.

https://www.curbellplastics.com/Rese...ral-Data-Sheet

https://www.curbellplastics.com/Rese...ade-Data-Sheet

Either way, it probably wasn't the heat. Or at least not heat alone. Though likely could have been a combo of heat + Ludi + mechanical load + some shock loading hitting some bumps.

Anyway - will be interesting to see what you find..
  • joegold100
    Ebiker

• joegold100
    replied
    I blew the X1 drivetrain out this morning in the 100 °F desert heat. Luckily, I had already completed 3 miles of the climb and was able to pedal back without PAS. I'm not sure what broke yet but it sounds to me like it's most likely the plastic "Silent Gear" upgrade. It sounds and feels like a few teeth broke off. I wasn't even riding hard at all.

Looks there is 6 months warranty on motor and components so I'm hoping this should be covered since I've only had the bike for 3 months. However, if it's that silent gear upgrade, I think I will replace it with the factory metal gear.

I will update this post once I get word back from Luna Support tomorrow... Stay tuned....

BIKE RIDEZ SOCIAL:

- YOUTUBE: https://thebikeridez.com
    - FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/thebikeridez/
    - INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/thebikeridez/
    joegold100
    Ebiker
    Last edited by joegold100; 07-11-2021, 01:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jjdicecco

• jjdicecco
    commented on 's reply
    scratch that the error code is back
  • jjdicecco

• jjdicecco
    commented on 's reply
    So after a while of Messi g around error 5 code is gone but now the speedo is erratic
  • EL34
    Giga Member

• EL34
    replied
    The water would have to be in a small puddle in order to short across a couple pins
    I would think you could just bang the connector a couple times and all water would go out.

I would pull the motor side cover off and dry out all the connectors on all the wires

Leave a comment:

• jjdicecco

• jjdicecco
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah I did the same thing I wonder if the water shorted it out… because it’s the same wiring harness… hmmmm any thoughts?
  • EL34
    Giga Member

• EL34
    replied
    I unplugged my throttle also a long time ago.
    I put some electrical tape over the plug
    No issues ever with that so far

Leave a comment:

Working...
X