Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has had anyone had experience using 3-inch riser handlebars on their x-1? I have them on my sur ron and dirt bike but I'm unsure if they would be of the same benefit the x-1.

Comment

• FlyingPiggy
      FlyingPiggy commented
      Editing a comment
      I recently installed the following (I have old injuries that require me to be a little more upright): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Overall it is working great, however I did need to saw off about a quarter of an inch off the fork end that this attaches to so it would have a secure fit - otherwise the fork had some movement). Hope this helps.

Originally posted by southbaysumo View Post
    Has had anyone had experience using 3-inch riser handlebars on their x-1? I have them on my sur ron and dirt bike but I'm unsure if they would be of the same benefit the x-1.
    What kind of benefit is there to raising the handle bars way up in the air?
    Are you trying to make it into a bike like the one below?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike.png
Views:	495
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	114383

Comment

• NovaLuna1
      NovaLuna1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm on the shorter side (5ft 6 or 7, 30ish inch inseam) and went with a size Medium. A size small probably would have been better. The bike only feels big when I have to dismount quickly or on a steep incline but I'm just starting out MTBing, my technique could certainly improve. The original flat bars that came on the bike left me extending my arms a little bit too much to get a good grip and uncomfortable. My posture isn't perfect IMO, so that could have contributed. Anyways, I purchased this cheap 20 dollar handlebar on Amazon with a 2.5 inch rise and slight sweep back and it made the bike feel much more manageable for me here's the link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071P6C9YV..._iiJAFbEFWTZ6J

• eskachig
      eskachig commented
      Editing a comment
      You chose the right size, especially as the X-1 is a somewhat shortish-reach bike by modern standards. I get that standover height is a little high, but you'll get used to that pretty quickly - and you'll never fix a bike that's just too cramped. A couple of moths of growing pains are easily worth it not to spend years kicking yourself about having too small of a bike and fussing with long stems.

Like with tall motorcycles as a shorter person, you just have to learn to pick a side. You have plenty of inseam when you pick a side - it's when you want to put both feet down at the same time that it's an issue. As another rider around your size, that's just the life.

• southbaysumo
      southbaysumo commented
      Editing a comment
      EL34. I was hoping when I joined this forum I would get constructive comments and yours doesn't fall into that category. The best trials and enduro riders in the world stand to get their center of gravity lower, ie on the pegs versus up high on the seat if they were sitting. I have much more experience doing this type of riding than mtb riding and it seems reasonable to think some variation on standing would be better than having my ass planted on the seat regardless of dropper posts. So,does anyone who uses a modified stance have any experience using riser bars?

Originally posted by EL34 View Post

What kind of benefit is there to raising the handle bars way up in the air?
    Are you trying to make it into a bike like the one below?

Name:	bike.png
Views:	495
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	114383
    DH preference? Tighten neutral cockpit? Slacken AOA? Manuals on speed dial til’ the breako’dawn? Take the middle seat post off of pinky there and she’d probably charge right on down some assovers. No sweat, no hate. Just ride!

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
      Incidentally I am pretty sure m600 have walk function just like bbsxx, very handy on staircases. Try holding down either + or - when the display is powered on
      Can confirm walk mode works great on the stairs - put it in the lowest gear and keep some weight on the seat and it goes right up.

Comment

Guys, what is the spoke nipple size on X-1 wheels? The spoke wrench in the Luna kit is too small. Using adjustable wrench is not convenient, I want to get a proper wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by alosip View Post
          Guys, what is the spoke nipple size on X-1 wheels? The spoke wrench in the Luna kit is too small. Using adjustable wrench is not convenient, I want to get a proper wrench.
          I had two wrenches that fit the X1 stock wheels spoke nipples
          The Red Park wrench says C
          And the generic multi wrench says #12

Not sure any of that helps?

Name:	Img_1497.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	114462

Name:	Img_1498.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	114463

Comment

Originally posted by southbaysumo View Post
            I’ve got the 50mm Riser Spank Vibrocore bars on, and it was a huge improvement in geometry for me, I got the XL and had to put a 200mm dropper on to get the right leg extension, which put me in a very aggressive stance on the bike, and I had too much weight on my wrists. After I put them on, I easily got PRs on my local descents - climbing steeps is slightly more difficult though to keep the front end planted.

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post

I had two wrenches that fit the X1 stock wheels spoke nipples
              The Red Park wrench says C
              And the generic multi wrench says #12

Not sure any of that helps?

Name:	Img_1497.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	114462

Name:	Img_1498.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	114463
              I’ve just measured my spoke nipple size. It’s 3.97 mm. Parktool spoke wrench that fits this size is colored blue. I wonder if LunaCycle puts bigger spikes on X-1 now. Ether that or I measure spoke nipple wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by alosip View Post

I’ve just measured my spoke nipple size. It’s 3.97 mm. Parktool spoke wrench that fits this size is colored blue. I wonder if LunaCycle puts bigger spikes on X-1 now. Ether that or I measure spoke nipple wrong.
                I measured 3.93mm
                The #12 tool in my photo measures 4mm and it fits better then the red Park tool which is about 4.2mm
                I think a 4mm tool is gonna be the best.
                You need a tiny bit of oversize on the tool

Comment

southbaysumo
                  No need to get worked up
                  It's just a pretty pink bike joke

I don't care what you do to your bike

Comment

Does any one know the size of the bolts for the rear suspension air shock? I believe they are torx. Two of the bolts are a little bigger and one is smaller.

Comment

• eskachig
                      eskachig commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ah - T30 fits them all, 6NM of torque. You'll need two, but in practice the front mount axle/bolt ends up being very tight and holds itself from spinning well enough to achieve the required torque on the part that screws in - so you may be able to get away with one.

The rear linkage is kind of a complicated jigsaw puzzle, so if you're mounting the shock back on after removal do it first.

• NovaLuna1
                      NovaLuna1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The bolt closer to the key hole/front of the bike a T30 fits perfectly but the two bigger ones in the rear are too large for a t30. Any other ideas please?

I should read the manual for my suspension cause honestly have no idea how to adjust it I just saw the 3 points to adjust.

• eskachig
                      eskachig commented
                      Editing a comment
                      All the shock mount bolts are T30, front and rear on my bike. The big pivots for the linkage the shock attaches to are T50 - they are at 10Nm.

Originally posted by Rabix View Post

I’ve got the 50mm Riser Spank Vibrocore bars on, and it was a huge improvement in geometry for me, I got the XL and had to put a 200mm dropper on to get the right leg extension, which put me in a very aggressive stance on the bike, and I had too much weight on my wrists. After I put them on, I easily got PRs on my local descents - climbing steeps is slightly more difficult though to keep the front end planted.
                    Do you think the foam that Spank’s fills their bars with does anything other than adding weight and cost? I am also thinking about getting a handlebar with similar riser and geometry and wonder if Spank’s bar is really worth 4 times as much as other bars with similar geometry, like this one for example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711X7NTR..._SRmCFbGCBNMBC

Comment

• Rabix
                      Rabix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I did notice a difference over the stock bars which were giving me arm pump over fast washboard fire road descents, haven’t had it since. They are also 100mm wider then the bars you listed, and are the same weight. For me, a dampened riser is worth it, but I’ve also upgraded most of the bike to higher end components... GX drivetrain, Spank Split Stem, CODE RSC brakes, E*Thirteen Wheels, Zeb 180 Fork, Fox DPX2 shock, Fox Transfer Dropper, etc. Each upgrade improved the bike feel (maybe not the stem, no difference other then weight/aesthetics). The only thing I tried on the bike that created a regression in ride quality was the short cranks Luna now offers... After one ride I took those off, they felt terrible, way too short for me. If you’re on a tight budget, the generic aluminum risers should be fine.

• eskachig
                      eskachig commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's funny, I've had a 760mm bar on the way forever, but now it feels like 800mm is just right for this bike, the leverage helps with the weight.

I too am not a big fan of the new short cranks - I put them on on day 1, and recently took them off. Funny - I greatly prefer the feel of 175mm, but immediately started mashing pedals into things. Somewhat conflicted now. There are some minor weight savings, but they're still crazy heavy.

Basically, if Lekkie finally makes that 165mm bafang-profile alloy crank, I'm picking up a set in a heartbeat. The entire set weighs as much as one of these crankarms - the short ones even.
                      Last edited by eskachig; 3 weeks ago. Reason: had the weight wrong

For folks moving to a coil shock and looking for starting spring weights - the calculators were fairly off for me. I had to dial it in freshman physics style - with Hooke's law.

I weigh around 185lb, add ten pounds of water and gear - and I need a 500lb spring to achieve 30% sag.

As far as kinematics go, informal tests seem to imply that the suspension of this frame is relatively progressive. If you take the shock off and move the rear wheel through its travel, you can see that near the end of its travel the shock bolt moves faster than at the start. This means that it should be pretty coil friendly. I haven't really been hitting anything too gnarly, so can't tell you how it behaves near bottom out, but so far the coil feels great.

Comment

Can anyone link me to the thread about pre-orders and availability? I had it in a tab on my browser but I must’ve closed it. I have a small with silent treatment and ludi mode from the late September delivery pre-order that I’m waiting on.

Comment

If anyone is not aware yet, There are X1's that have a PAS problem in Level 1 and 2 of 5. Some work, some don't. There may have been a discovery of the software code responsible. If you have a BABE or X1, please read your controller software version and report back. Advise whether your PAS works in 1 and 2, and if your software ends in ".5" or ".6"

To read go to "information", select "Controller info", then push the + button.

If you would....just comment here below. Thanks.
                        Last edited by kengps; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

• bengreens
                          bengreens commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My X-1 that arrived November 2019 has software 014.4 PAS1 and 2 are great (except for the delays in engaging and disengaging, which occurs in all levels)

My 2nd X-1, which arrived September 2020, has software 014.5, and PAS1 and 2 SUCK, engaging intermittently and forcing me to pedal way harder.

On the plus side, the new bike (I got a Large frame this time) came with a 38T chainring and no lockout of the highest gear (though I need to buckle down and do a thorough adjustment of the indexing and such, as the chain has jumped off into the stays twice).

Also, no problems with the seatpost dropper or tight battery fit on the new bike, and all the bolts throughout are tight (the first bike had all kinds of loose fasteners and made lots of creaks/pops, plus one of the bolts holding the rear brake assembly on was cross-threaded and couldn't be gotten anywhere near tight enough to hold things in place).

• bengreens
                          bengreens commented
                          Editing a comment
                          This thread seems to have died on the vine . . . I keep hoping for news, and for more people weighing in. Is the issue maybe being discussed/addressed more fully elsewhere? I'm pretty bummed about my new X-1, and have begun to contemplate swapping controllers (motors?) with my old one.

• kengps
                          kengps commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There is more activity under the thread: "Software Survey"
                      Working...
                      X