This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna BABE bike

Click image for larger version  Name:	babe.jpg Views:	12 Size:	119.1 KB ID:	100985
    Warning, would should never shift under load (that includes throttle and pedal), you can pedal while shifting but you need to avoid putting any pressure on the pedals! It's the same for all IGH hubs (ebikes or non-ebikes). Shifting under load will likely result in a misshift, permanent clanking noise or simply a broken gear.
    Tip on shifting: You need to stop pedalling and also wait until the motor power down before attempting to shift. Click here for more details

Specs

30'' standover
    6 feet long overall
    Weight: 65 lbs total with 7lb battery. 58lbs without battery.
    30.9mm seatpost
    31'' bars
    80mm stem, ~15 degree rise
    Rotors: 180 rear, 203 front
    Rim specs: 26" fatbike rims 80mm. Effective wheel size is more like 29er since it's a fattie even though it is 26".
    IGH (rear hub) Specs: Measures 190mm at dropout
    Standard barrel charge port (charger included)

Display is a special display that works only with this bike, no other display will work for it. It uses CAN communication so it will not work with any BBSxx / Ultra series display. This display also has a USB port, a nice surprise. To change the basic settings of the display hold down + & -.

The battery is charged with a standard barrel. This means you can use something like the solderless barrel in conjunction with 48v Advanced Charger or 48v Mini to charge the bike if preferred over the included charger.

This bike has a temp sensor and high temp cutoff to prevent damage to the motor/controller.
    At high temp it will scale back the power. If heat continues to rise, it will briefly shut down to protect the internals.

Q&A

Aftermarket chargers?
    This charges with standard barrel, so any 48v nominal li-ion charger that uses or can be modded for barrel will work. Our Advanced charger is a popular one. You will need this barrel connector to replace the default xt60.

Rack mounts?
    No rack mounts at this time, you might use a seatpost mounted rack though. This may be a good example as it is reinforced. For higher weight capacity this could also be a good example. If the type of rack is desired that uses M5 bolts on the bottom, this can be added with the Luna no drill mounts.

Top speed?
    Somewhere around 27mph. Depends on terrain, rider weight, tire pressure and so on.

What display does it use?
    Same M600 display the X1 uses

Limit speed through display?
    No

Walk mode?
    Yes

E-Brake sensor?
    Disabled for simplicity on the BABE

Can I go bigger on tire width?
    Looks like you could fit a 5 inch tire but it would be tight, not 100% sure

Battery removal

Put the key in and turn it then twist the latch located on the battery, the battery will drop out.

Troubleshooting

IF you are experiencing cut outs, error 30 or complete shutdown please follow these 3 steps.

1) The battery

This is the battery, showing a standard led power readout, on/off button, and barrel charge port. Make sure that the power button is pressed in and lighting up. Remove the battery and inspect the terminals.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_18289.png Views:	15 Size:	878.0 KB ID:	101666

2) Display connections:

2x Green harness wire that goes into the back of the display needs to be shoved in really hard, you should hear and feel a click or a pop, if you are having trouble turning it on be sure to check this and the other connectors. Recommended to unplug the connector before firmly plugging it back in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_18338.png Views:	15 Size:	172.4 KB ID:	101667

3) The motor main connections.

ON the left side of the motor you will find a plastic plate with 3 screws, remove that plate to expose the connections.

ON the far left you have the main harness multipin connector, the middle (purple) is the gearsensor (N/A) and the on on the right is the speedometer. Please check these 2 it's possible that one is halfway out an giving issues. Press them in really hard, just like the display connector.

On on the far right you have the battery main power lead (yellow XT60), you can unplug this one and measure the voltage from the battery to be sure that you dont have a bad connection. With the power button to ON, you should be measure anything from 38V to 54.6V.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	93794

The bare motor.

Removing the motor is pretty easy, no special tools required.

Remove bash guard (4x hex bolts )
    Remove plastic cover on non drive side (3x torx bolts T10)
    Remove chainring bolts (not necessary to remove spyder )
    Remove the 3 mounting bolts (5mm hex and 10mm socket.
    Motor will drop down . ( 3 plugs go into the side of motor)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	93793

How to remove the chainring bracket from the motor:
    This is recessed so a typical ring spanner will not work. A socket style bottom bracket tool for screw in bearing cups does the job. A chain whip is needed to hold the chainring when removing the locking nut. This tool will work. The lockring is reverse or right hand-threaded, so you must turn it clockwise to remove it.

Error 21H or erratic speed reading?

Please make sure that the magnet is properly aligned with the sensors

Click image for larger version  Name:	speedo.jpg Views:	8 Size:	109.1 KB ID:	101959
    Adjusting the internal geared hub

This bike is using the new Sturmey-Archer RSX-RK5 IGH but maintenance and adjustment is like the C50 series IGH, click here for the full manual.

As for the adjustment if you get any grinding or skipping it might be because the IGH needs to be adjusted, so please follow this procedure

Note: You can also adjust the IGH using the adjuster knob at the end of the cable next to the shifter

Click image for larger version  Name:	RSX-RK5 Sturmey Archer.png Views:	0 Size:	237.7 KB ID:	101480

Adjusting the Gates carbon drive belt

This bike uses the same dropouts and the same gates drive system as the Luna Fixed Stealth bike so please refer to the manual over here (click link).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 4.03.05 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	745.7 KB ID:	101481

DISPLAY

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	3.25 MB ID:	93795Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	3.30 MB ID:	93796Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	93792

This is the selector on the handlebars. Hold down power button for 5 seconds to turn on.
    Resources

Here is a manual on how to use the M600 dashboard, just click on this link to open the manual. Thank you Brad for making it!
    (please note that this unofficial manual was written for X1 and not BABE, as such some info may not be specific to this particular bike)

Attached Files

Any updates on delivery?

Comment

• Sebz
      Sebz commented
      Editing a comment
      Waiting at the port for customs clearance! should be released anyday now

This will be my first e-bike. The stoke is real.

Comment

Just received shipping notification. That was quick!

Comment

Sounds like you will be one of the first folks to receive it. Nice.

Comment

If you are browsing for information on the bike... there are a few questions answered in the LUNA FAT BABE website in the comments section and on the Luna Cycle Facebook page post comments section.

Apparently this bike uses the same motor as the Luna X1 Enduro 750W. I'm not sure why they are calling this one 800W, but not much difference there either way. I believe Bafang rates this same motor as 500W and in the X1 Enduro thread I'd say a majority of people think this motor is comparable with other 500W motors. I've never ridden an electric bike, this will be my first, so I'll use my stock legs vs legs with motor as my comparison.

There's a million posts about the noise of the m600 motor so I'm sure it's audible while riding........ but it's a bicycle with a motor, what do you expect?

Also from reading the Luna X1 Enduro thread I predict a lot of subjective discussions on how the bicycle is geared and whether or not it's fast enough top speed VS low speed maneuvering through sand and the merits of an IGH.

I'm up late and I am looking forward to unboxing this bike so I need to wait and see. XD
          Last edited by Recorrigan; 02-03-2020, 02:39 AM. Reason: Help new people with info.

Comment

Got my shipping notice too. Can't wait. My first E-Bike, first Fat Tire, first Disk Brakes, first IGH, first Belt Drive.
            Last edited by kengps; 02-02-2020, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I am wondering about the Bafang m600 mid motor, what are the build specifics of the motor for LUNA BABE? It's rumored to have metal gears. Delivery scheduled for Feb 5. ^^

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Pretty sure it has metal gears but I will check with the shop for confirmation :)

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Just got confirmation, yes it has metal gears in the M600.

I really like the specs on this new fat bike and I look forward to hearing people's impression of it. Things that I'm most curious about;

1. How is it geared? When I hear it is set for 27mph I worry that it's geared too tall for deep snow and sandy beaches (which is where the IGH and belt drive have real advantages). From my point of view, if you just want to rip down the bike path (fast) you would be better off with a chain drive.
              2. If it's geared too tall, how hard is it change the gearing and how much will it cost? It's my understanding that these belts are not cheap.
              3. Is there any end user programmability with M600 motor? I saw a note about 'custom Luna firmware' and now I'm concerned. The X1 is a wonderful bike but the lack of end user tweaking to the settings is turning out to be a major bummer for me. I don't think the X1 is tuned as well as it could be and am now worried that I'll never be able to change that. I became a Luna customer in the first place since I could by a modded controller for my BBS02, a programming cable, and various parts and tools to set my bike up just the way I pleased. The current 'locked down' offerings have all the downsides of the other brand name e-bikes out there and none of the end user magic that seemed to be part of the Luna customer culture. This is sort of the 'Right to Repair' issue that is going on in the automotive world too.

New owners, please post! Thanks

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Please note this is a documentation page, if you do not want to buy it that's fine but this is open for people to discuss technical aspects, not to talk trash.

As to Bafang, being open is certainly not what Bafang have been doing all along. Bafang is the largest ebike parts factory in the world, and the vast majority of their stuff is not end user programmable. BBSxx is the outlier, not the norm, especially when it comes to OEM equipment.

I agree that programmability is nice for people that like to tweak stuff, but that tends not to be most people, and I think after so many years we have a pretty good handle on how to program something to suit most folks needs. Maybe not everybody, but most. Yes there are replacement parts we can source, and no the motor/controller is not 'disposable'.

• kite_rider
                kite_rider commented
                Editing a comment
                Are we not discussing the technical aspects of the Luna BABE? This is hardly 'trash talk' and I'm offended that you would see it that way.

Please back up your claim that programmability on Bafang Mid Drive motors is not the the norm.
                BBS01 - Programmable
                BBS02 - Programmable
                BBSHD - Programmable
                Bafang MAX Drive - Programmable
                Bafang Ultra - Programmable

Has Luna Cycle ever sold a Bafang Mid drive (prior to the X1) that wasn't programmable? If this matters to so few customers; why not just tell them up front? I'm encouraged when you say 'not programmable at this time' - since it might mean that you are working with Bafang to make it available sometime in the future. I'm telling you, as a customer, it's a big deal to me. Any words of assurance that you are working towards that on behalf of your customers would be nice to hear.

Same issue on the gearing. The BABE may come with the perfect gearing range for me and that would be great. But if it's not, I want to know what range of gears I *could* put on this bike to adjust it. So it would be nice to know if I could install a larger or smaller pulley on the front and / or the rear of this bike. Also, it would be good to know how much this modification would cost *before* I bought the bike.

Anyway, please take this a *constructive criticism* from a long time customer who has been loving Bafang mid drive powered mountain bikes for years now. I've learned plenty from others on these forums and I'm happy to share what I've experienced along the way too.

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Like I said BBSxx is the outlier. All of the motors you listed are essentially design revisions of the BBS01. Bafang product lines covers a lot more than just BBSxx motors. If you want proof just go to bafang's OEM website and look at their product catalog.

I can not predict the future, at this time it is not programmable. Maybe that will change, who knows.

Are the brake rotors on this the 180mm or 203mm size - I notice the 4 piston Tektro Dorado e725 it is spec'd with can be had with either size.

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Let me check, will get back to you.

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                The rotors are 180 rear, and 203 front.

• AdmiralSnackbar
                AdmiralSnackbar commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the update! Should stop 60# of ebike well!

Got it! Took it for a short spin in the parking lot. At 250lbs, I was doing 18-20mph in the parking lot on throttle only (boost). Mid-20's on boost while pedaling. Probably faster if i didn't run out of room. Brakes are good. I'm 6' 3" and it fits good with the seat up as high as possible. Here's some pics of the final product:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	3037
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	101160

Views:	3036
Size:	525.5 KB
ID:	101161

Views:	2990
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	101162

Views:	3019
Size:	610.7 KB
ID:	101163

Views:	3028
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	101164
              Last edited by sinlab; 02-05-2020, 01:10 PM. Reason: update

Comment

• sinlab
                sinlab commented
                Editing a comment
                Riding/Shifting without any power wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely ride-able if you run out of juice. The pedal assist is very responsive. Again, this is all in a parking lot. The true test will be this weekend on the American River Bike trail (on and off road). I will test range, climbing, etc. Eventually I will test range with throttle only. Power levels are Walk, 0-5, and B (boost?). As far as assembly, make sure all bolts are tightened! Check them all! I had to re-torque the pinch bolts on the stem and cranks. The left rear axle nut was also loose. Other than that, most of the assembly was snipping zip ties!

• asignore
                asignore commented
                Editing a comment
                Live the pics. Seems like these and the Luna photos are just about the only ones in the Internet. Any ride updates? I’d love to hear your thoughts on the speed, torque and ability of the bike.

• Babe Rider
                Babe Rider commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the response. Just what I needed to hear! I believe I read that the "B" boost level is not used on this bike because it has a throttle, but I'm not 100% sure.

I’ve been waiting for some pics to drop of the first bikes. Looks great.

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah no wonder the shop decided on calling it babe, that is one sexy bike

my BABE is due next week, although it looks like it got stuck in some bad weather in IL
              may I ask what size gates belt, e.g. how many teeth?
              should the need to replace it arise

Comment

First post on this forum, new Luna BABE owner. I just picked mine up last night at the 'store' in El Segundo. Pretty grass-roots place, Erik was walking around in Pajama pants and socks, must be a laid-back place to work, brings new meaning to "casual work wear".

I assembled it, no surprises there, battery had almost a full charge. I figured out the display fairly quickly, pretty simple if you're at all familiar with the way these things work. It was dark in my neighborhood by the time I was ready for a ride and no headlight/taillight, so I was cautious.

I had a 750W hub-motor bike before this, basic performance is very similar with good acceleration in gear. This is the first S/A IGH bike I've ridden in a very long time, and I wasn't familiar with how it would perform, so careful there as well. Figured it out fast enough though. Upshift is very smooth and quiet, downshift (5-4-3, etc.) on the other hand is clunky and noisier and the shift collar is very stiff, I'm hoping it breaks in a bit more and becomes more consistent up and down shifting. I want to see how this climbs in 1st and 2nd gear, I'll be it has some awesome torque with the mid-drive and IGH combination.

Response to pedal / accel is better than most bikes I've ridden recently, pleased about that. I tried out the 9 segment and the 5 segment Pedal Assist, I prefer the 5 segment, I just don't need that many choices, in fact I may go with 3 segments, but I really liked the assist the level 4/5 offered. More riding and familiarity will be required to really decide.

The brakes are killer, if I pulled any harder i would have gone over the bars, the tires at 25psi are super grippy. The front suspension with the dial-a-compression is nice in combination with the softness of the tires. Riding / hopping over parking bumpers was so smooth.

Can't wait to get this on dirt, it's going to be a fun bike.

Dan.

Comment

The BABE looks pretty nice. Curious, as a possible buyer of this bike - is there any chance we can add a rear rack to the bike? Based on the pictures of the bike, it's very clean.... maybe to clean whereas I'm not sure if one would even mount to the bike.

Any other accessories or upgrades planned for the bike from LUNA?

Comment

• paxtana
                    paxtana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bottom just reinforces it so I would think the clamp does not really need to have full contact, though you could make that clamped portion circular with some Sugru if you wanted to mold a bit onto there.

Likely it just needs to be able to fit over the diameter, which does not look to be a problem. Especially since you could just use longer bolts if you absolutely had to.

• boarkid
                    boarkid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    paxtana Is there any chance something like this would fit the BABE: https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/ou...ear-bike-rack? Might be overkill at a load rating of 70 lbs but if this happened to be an option, that might just be enough to give me the confidence to go for it and decide later which rack would work best.
                    Last edited by boarkid; 02-17-2020, 07:18 PM. Reason: Try to get the @user tagging formatted correctly

• paxtana
                    paxtana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sure if you use the mounts I linked earlier.

https://lunacycle.com/no-drill-battery-mount-kit/

The rack you linked to is expecting M5 bolt holes in certain spots at the lower portion for that to bolt into. The mount kit I linked above provides those M5 mount holes. The top portion of that rack just uses the seatpost so no problem there.
                Working...
                X