Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing between Luna Chargers

Full Featured Chargers
    A full featured charger has multiple settings and features. TheLuna 300w series of chargers would be an example of a full featured model. I will use the current model (ver.3) for this example.

Benefits Include

SoC (State of Charge) Information, this charger has a display to show the voltage (charge voltage when plugged into the wall and battery voltage when not).
    SoC Limiting, switch to limit the charge to an 80% capacity or do a complete 100% charge to allow balancing by the BMS (battery management system).
    C-Rate Control, a rotary switch to choose the kindest charging rate for your packs size (1 to 5 amps in 1 amp steps). Having the ability to choose the amperage makes one charger suitable for multiple size packs of the same voltage.

Drawbacks Include

Durability, this class of charger is not really designed to be a rugged go anywhere piece of kit. The additional features add complexity to the internal circuits and there are external switches and controls that are vulnerable to damage from rough handling.
    Fixed Rate Chargers

Chargers that are simply plug and play are available without the additional features and currently a popular choice for an on-the-go solution. The 52v 3 amp Luna Mini Charger would be an example of these simplified designs.
    Benefits include

Cost, these chargers are usually less than half than the full featured models.
    Size, again about half that of a full featured charger.
    Durability, while not rugged, they lack the protruding external switches and have fewer internal components overall.

Drawbacks include

Lower Output Rates, Typically this class of charger is 3 amps or less. Large packs can take quite a while for a full recharge.
    SoC (state of charge) Information, If your pack does not have a built in display you must reconnect to your dash display for information.
    Last edited by Bicycle365; 07-09-2016, 05:42 PM.

Can you help me understand when I SHOULD unplug my 52V 3amp standard charger?
    I've only gotten about a handful of charges out of it so far but I always have wanted to keep it at 100%. I've been reading some and trying to figure this out but I can't seem to find it. I have a green...steady green...light after the red light goes off. It's fully charged at a steady green light correct? But leaving it plugged in to balance it the chargers green light is a blinking green light...slow steady blinking green light.
    Also I haven't seen 58.8V on my display yet....again only a hand full of chargers so far. The highest reading I've seen is 56.2V. I know the better life cycle is to charge to 80% then top it off before a ride. Maybe just maybe I'll upgrade my charger one of these days.
    Life Behind Bars

Comment

• Bicycle365
      Bicycle365 commented
      Editing a comment
      The Bafang display is calibrated for 48 volts hard coded into the firmware. The result of that is those that run the 52 volt packs get odd readings at the high end. The display will only show 56 volts +/- when a 52 volt pack is near full charge. After charging to 100% , allow the battery to rest for at least 30 minutes and use a multimeter on it (or display if a soft pack that is so equipped), that will show you the true SoC (State of Charge)

On the screen it will only be 56 volts. The display is only programmed for this at its set up for 48 Volt which is 54.4 volt.

Comment

Are the Luna or Cycle Satiator chargers multi-stage chargers? That is, do they have Bulk, Absorb, and Float stages? Does the BMS already provide much of the functionality of a multi-stage charger?

For those unfamiliar with multi-stage chargers, the Bulk stage provides an initial constant current until an Absorption charge voltage (determined by battery type) is achieved. The Absorb stage slowly reduces the current to maintain that constant Absorption voltage for a predetermined amount of time (typically 1 to 12 hours). Once that time is reached the charger will enter the Float stage to maintain the battery fully charged at a float voltage (again determined by battery type). Often multi-stage chargers will restart the Bulk, Absorb, and Float cycles after a predetermined number of days to protect the battery.

Comment

I just read that a trickle or float charge is not recommended for lithium batteries. What about a bulk-absorb cycle?

Comment

Working...
        X