Pure Sine Wave or Modified Sine Wave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pure Sine Wave or Modified Sine Wave?

Is there any advantage to utilizing a pure sine wave inverter vs a modified sine wave one for charging on the road. I have a Luna 48V Advanced charger I want to use in my RV. The question is not do I have the power I need (the chassis alternator puts out 2000W), just should I use a cheap(er) MSW inverter or PSW one?

When camping, I run two Luna Advanced chargers off an old Modified Sine Wave inverter with no problems. It's a Vector Maxx 750/1500, nothing fancy.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• JPLabs
      JPLabs commented
      Editing a comment
      Camping last weekend, I had some trouble getting my chargers to run off this. Starting the engine and wiggling the battery clamps worked sometimes. So, I revise this to 'can work OK'.......not 'no problem'.

Boy , I am really struggling on this one. I was set to buy a cheap MSW inverter for myself but also to use at the cemetery I take care of to run a hammer drill and maybe a few other tools.. But all the videos I have been watching say they will run on MSW but run smoother and like PSW a lot better. They say PSW is better for more sensitive electronics. Do a go the cheaper route a get by for a while or put the money towards a PSW ???????

Comment

I went cheaper first, figuring I'd upgrade when I came across something I can't run. I never tried a high amp tool like a hammer drill, but the only thing I have failed to run so far is a large transformer power supply for my short-arc searchlight. Only 300W, but the starting inrush current is too much for the inverter. For that, I think it's just a matter of capacity, though, not Sine type.

I still haven't upgraded.

For what it's worth.
      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Mod sine will run the Luna charger just fine, I use one, 400 watts (I charge at 3 amps) driving down the road all the time. So, if running the charger is ALL you want to do, a POS Harbor Freight modified sinewave one (none cheaper) will do the job just fine. Having said that, unless you are on a strict budget, pure sine wave types offer many advantages, and they have come down in price a lot in recent years. You mention you have an RV? Get a quality pure sine wave one, NOT a Harbor Freight POS, something like this: http://www.backwoodssolar.com/samlex-1000w-12v-inverter. It's a name brand, not the most top dollar full featured type of inverter, those will cost you double. Something like this:http://www.backwoodssolar.com/samlex-1000w-12v-inverter. Magnum makes great stuff, I've installed a lot of them in my renewable energy side line racket, a US based company. I bought the Harbor Freight one fully knowing better, what a piece of junk it would be, but for the money (can't remember exactly, way less then $100.00, maybe $50.00) I thought it would be fun to see how long it lasted.

To my surprise, it's hung in there just fine! Running any type inverter is most efficient at about 75% of it's rated power. You don't want, though you can, to run a 30 watt load off a 3,000 watt inverter. The 400 watt cheapie is sized about perfect for the 3 amp setting I use on the Luna charger.

It's oddly satisfying to be driving down the road in a car, while charging your e bike, knowing that if the drive gets boring enough you can pull over and go for a (fully charged) ride. Having that capability of on the go charging is a must have for me.

Comment

Working...
        X