Possible Dead 3Amp 52V Luna Advance Charger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Dead 3Amp 52V Luna Advance Charger

Arrived at work and plugged in the charger and all it does is turn the two LEDs on and then the fan spins momentarily and then everything goes off: fan, LED 1 and LED 2. If I don't plug the charger into the battery, the two LED lights stay on, but fan does not spin.

The charger measures 58V at the plug ends when not plugged into the battery. The battery is at 50V at the moment.

Thinking it might be the battery connector, I solder in a XT60 connector to main power harness on the bike but same thing happens.

The charger fully charged the bike yesterday.

Any ideas?

Frustrating. I can't tell you how to fix your specific problem, but here are two points.

(1) I have used a lot of these chargers, and sometimes the fan stops working but the charger still does its job (and without overheating!). I have a charger with a broken fan which I have been using for years.
    (2) I always buy a few extra chargers. This keeps me on the road and makes it easier to troubleshoot a problem.

Sometimes it is a bad cord. If you had an extra (known working) charger, you could switch out the AC cord to determine if the cord is the problem.

Comment

Definitely good idea to have more than 1 charger. If for no other reason than to help troubleshooting these sort of issues.

I’ve used 120VAC 60-100W incandescent light bulb as test loads for my 48-60V chargers. This helps verify the charger can deliver current.

Comment

• Rodney64
        Rodney64 commented
        Editing a comment
        This would be a good topic Ykick.

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        Although I haven’t done it yet, I think the bulb test would also help demonstrate the 80-90-100% charge level voltages better than attempting to measure voltages of the open/floating charger output?

My Edison bulb socket with connectors is still back in NYC but I will soon grab some photos and try to write instructions about how I do it? It’s a simple and easy way to determine if the charger can deliver current. Good use for some of the old incandescent bulbs too.

Yea, I have two chargers. One I leave at work, and one I leave at home. Wasn't a fun ride home last night with just ~3.8V to work with... :( Bike is a heavy pig....

Bike charged up fine at home last night, and today at work, with my home charger.

I might pick up a couple of the cheaper 52V 3A chargers as spares.

Comment

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        I went on a tear few years back where I blew up every damn charger in my arsenal. I’d made a dongle before morning coffee and reversed polarity. Couple plasma flashes and dead chargers later I finally realized my mistake. Oops….

Waiting for replacement chargers I series wired a bunch of oddball wall-warts power supplies from old printers, laptops and equipment until reaching desired voltage. The result was only about 1.5A and looked like a rats nest of wires but it worked for the week I was waiting on replacement chargers.

ykick sound like you are crossing the line between power electronics and getting into the Fine Arts with that build.

Comment

ykick

Half way home on my ride yesterday, I realized I have several adjustable power supplies at work. I was a bit bummed that I didn't think about them while I was at work!

Turns out they are 0-30V power supplies. I could chain them to get 60V...and maybe set them to 58V (2 * 29V) and charge the bike. That would have saved me a ton of sweating and swearing... :D

Comment

I love the wall wart idea! Thanks!

I knew I was saving that box of 'em for a reason. What I did not know was that they could be series connect with success. At least sometimes, at user's risk of firey death.

I didn't have a good scenario for charging in a pinch. Now I do and it's free. That's perfect. Certainly worthy of the 'ebiker tips' thread.
          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Originally posted by Galroc View Post
            Arrived at work and plugged in the charger and all it does is turn the two LEDs on and then the fan spins momentarily and then everything goes off: fan, LED 1 and LED 2. If I don't plug the charger into the battery, the two LED lights stay on, but fan does not spin.

The charger measures 58V at the plug ends when not plugged into the battery. The battery is at 50V at the moment.

Thinking it might be the battery connector, I solder in a XT60 connector to main power harness on the bike but same thing happens.

The charger fully charged the bike yesterday.

Any ideas?
            Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your charger and how to fix it?

I have exactly the same problem today, yesterday the charger worked fine and today it is doing the exact same thing your's did. I do not have an extra charger and would love to get this solved before I have to go to work on Tuesday. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comment

No. I have three dead advance luna chargers, 2 5A and 1 3A. I bought the cheap chargers from Luna and they seem to be holding up but time will tell.

Comment

I have the same symtoms as OP. I bought the first batch from Luna when advanced charger first released. It was garbage, as the LED voltmeter died (due to overheating) then the charger gave up the ghost after just a month of use. Right now, it has the same symptoms. Plug into battery, fan spins up for a second, then goes dead.

Any ideas on fixes? I opened it up, but I do not see anything obvious, other than the voltmeter all melted.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...3956#post53956

According to the above thread, Luna is on their 3rd factory for the advanced charger. Ultimately, I went ahead and ordered the advanced (because on sale for what that is worth) and the mini. I use my ebike daily for work commuting, so I need it ASAP. Maybe they made them more reliable now. Wishful thinking? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by jc2eb View Post
                  I have the same symtoms as OP. I bought the first batch from Luna when advanced charger first released. It was garbage, as the LED voltmeter died (due to overheating) then the charger gave up the ghost after just a month of use. Right now, it has the same symptoms. Plug into battery, fan spins up for a second, then goes dead.

Any ideas on fixes? I opened it up, but I do not see anything obvious, other than the voltmeter all melted.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...3956#post53956

According to the above thread, Luna is on their 3rd factory for the advanced charger. Ultimately, I went ahead and ordered the advanced (because on sale for what that is worth) and the mini. I use my ebike daily for work commuting, so I need it ASAP. Maybe they made them more reliable now. Wishful thinking? ;)
                  If you are using it for commuting, I would definitely advise having a spare charger at the ready. I have only one spare now; if I put that spare into service, I will order another spare that day.

Like I said above, I use a lot of ebike chargers. Sometimes they last a month, sometimes they last for 3+ years, and sometimes somewhere in between that. All this from the exact same manufacturer, so it sounds like it's a crap shoot.
                  Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-21-2018, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I ended up buying a Cycle Satiator and haven't had a problem since. Expensive but it has yet to fail.

Comment

• JPLabs
                      JPLabs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I did the same. A few vertical stripes on the display have gone out, so I can't read all the digits anymore, but other than that, works perfectly.

Luna Advanced are my spares now. I like those, fine, too.

Cycle Satiator, very interesting. hmm.

Copy that on having a spare. Somehow I blanked on that. I was probably hesitant buying from the same initial batch from Luna, at the time. Then I probably forgot about having another spare.

Knock on wood, everything else has been reliable so far. The motor, the display, the shark batteries, etc. all no problems so far.

Who the heck would suspect, that the weakest link would be the chargers?!

Cheers!
                    Jay

Comment

Working...
                    X