Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luna 48V 300W Advanced - Will it Work in UK when rated at 110AC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna 48V 300W Advanced - Will it Work in UK when rated at 110AC?

Hey guys! I'm from the UK.

I've just got my 48V 300W Advanced charger delivered to mine.
    I noticed that it came with American socket plug, which is not a huge deal as I could replace the plug.

What worries me is that on it's back it says 110AC, where in the UK we use 220V.

On the battery case it clearly says it's 110AC. At this point my logical thinking tells me that it's a wrong model and I have to get a different one. (There is no 220V alternative on Luna's website)

But then I go to the manuals and I find the table looking like this, where it says:

[ 300J-45L ][ 110Vac ]------------------------------[ 7A ][_____________]
    [ 300J-60L ][ 220Vac ][ 180-240Vac ][ 58.8V ][ 5A ][ current choice ]
    [ 300J-60L ][ 110Vac ][ 180-240Vac ][ 58.8V ][ 5A ][ current choice ]
    [ 300J-90L ][ 110Vac ]------------------------------[ 3A ][_____________]

Now I don't quite understand how that works. Is my charger made for both 110 and 220 but the only difference is the plug?
    Or is there two models under the same name and the manuals is printed for both models at the same time?

Do I send the charger back, or is there a way to DIY convert it to 220V?
    If it's only a little, cheap part on a logic board that needs swapping over, then I could as well do it myself.

Thanks for help! Peace!
    Last edited by ENIVID; 03-24-2017, 11:03 AM.

Maybe buy a step up converter 110 volt to 220 volt. This would be the cheaper option. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Watt-Eu...YAAOxyLchRwNCM

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney64 View Post
      Maybe buy a step up converter 110 volt to 220 volt. This would be the cheaper option. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Watt-Eu...YAAOxyLchRwNCM
      I have considered it, but the charger is 300W and the step down which you suggested is 50W. This could cause it to get dangerously hot and sooner or later one of the components would malfunction.
      Thanks for the reply Rodney64! (y)

All of the 300w 220v to 110v step down converters available in the UK weigh a lot. I use my ebike on long distances so I take the charger with me and I'm not keen to put extra 6-7 lbs (3-4kg) in my bag.

(UPDATE)I have found one converter from Spain that weighs 3.3lbs (1.5kg).
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLTAGE-CO...kAAOSwu-BWP83o

I will be getting the converter from Spain as temporary solution.

Meanwhile I will be doing further research, finding out which units of Luna's logic board need replacing in order to double its capacity. I hope that my research, if successful, will satisfy those of you who like to modify stuff.

It would also be great to hear from Luna's staff about any other suggestions they might have for my problem.

Comment

Working...
      X