Battery Charger Mismatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Charger Mismatch

First, let me say I totally understand that the battery charger should be correctly matched (in voltage output) to the battery pack.

BUT, what would be the real-life consequence of using the wrong charger for a battery? Say, for instance, you used a "48" volt charger (54.6 volt max output @ 2 amps) to charge a "36" volt battery pack. Doesn't the BMS board in the battery pack control how high the pack voltage can go? If the "48" volt charger shuts down and stops charging when the "36" volt battery pack reaches a measured 42 volts (on volt meter), has any harm been done?

Inquiring minds want to know!
    Last edited by cajk; 05-09-2017, 05:22 AM.

I hate to admit but the other day I was sorting through some of my BMS equipped RC Lipo packs and had forgotten one oddball pack was 12S or top charge of around 50.2V. Trouble is, I plugged it into the 14S charger (58.8V) and walked away. Came back and it was pretty much charged and everything was fine since the BMS had done what it was supposed to do.

OMG, if I had been running RC Lipo naked...??? So glad I went to BMS (at least for charging) on all battery packs. Even though I have BMS horror stories I'll still take one over the alternative. Probably saved my Bacon that day.

btw, I don't think any real harm was done. The pack might not have reached a fully balanced SOC because of the relatively high charge current as the cells were close to full but that's just a guess...

Comment

Originally posted by ykick View Post
      I hate to admit but the other day I was sorting through some of my BMS equipped RC Lipo packs and had forgotten one oddball pack was 12S or top charge of around 50.2V. Trouble is, I plugged it into the 14S charger (58.8V) and walked away. Came back and it was pretty much charged and everything was fine since the BMS had done what it was supposed to do.

OMG, if I had been running RC Lipo naked...??? So glad I went to BMS (at least for charging) on all battery packs. Even though I have BMS horror stories I'll still take one over the alternative. Probably saved my Bacon that day.

btw, I don't think any real harm was done. The pack might not have reached a fully balanced SOC because of the relatively high charge current as the cells were close to full but that's just a guess...
      I have some packs with different voltages/configs and matching chargers. To prevent errors, I have "colour coded" (with a bit of paint) the charger output cables and the matching battery input port so I have less of a chance of plugging the wrong one in. Of course if you're always paying attention, not needed.

Another saga - One time I even plugged a 120V AC power line into a 48V LiFePO4 pack. a bit of a spark, but fortunately all that happened was a blown fuse. In this pack, the charging port and discharge port use the same connection so maybe that saved me?

Comment

Working...
      X