52v 3amp Luna Mini Charger gets very very hot while charging is this normal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

52v 3amp Luna Mini Charger gets very very hot while charging is this normal

I noticed the charger gets burning hot!! its been working perfect but i feel like it shouldn't get this hot. Its only about a week old so im wondering if maybe this is normal. I also never see the fan come on

Fan should be coming on, maybe the fan's not plugged in all the way. Charger opens up fairly easily if you want to check the plug, unplug it and plug it back into the board (make sure power's off when doing this)

Comment

OK it was very easy to open and i been building computers since i was 12 so it was no big deal. I was honestly just afraid if i opened it Luna wouldn't exchange it or something. The actually plug was in but the black ground wire wasn't in the connector all the way if you know what i mean. I used a tiny pick and pressed the metal end of the wire deeper into the connector. And now the fan works fine. But like a idiot i plugged the battery into the charger before i plugged it into the wall. And when i plugged it into the outlet i saw a tiny spark. i quickly unplugged and tested the bike everything seems fine and its charging now with the fan working. You dont think i could have damaged the BMS on the battery or anything like that from that tiny spark. The spark was on the wall outlet not on the battery connector just to be clear. Is it something that would happen immediately or i will i not know until i go for a long ride. Super paranoid about messing up the battery

Comment

The charger has been working perfect but i did use it at least 4 times like that without the fan. Hopefully it didnt damage anything, everything inside looked fine no swollen capacitors and nothing looked burnt. I tightened up the yellow ground wire some just to be safe it seemed a little loose

Comment

A little spark every once in awhile's fine, I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that have no idea you're even supposed to plug it in that way, not everyone is stoked about reading documentation lol. Great job on troubleshooting the charger. I doubt it's damaged from the fan issue but tell you what, you have problems later on just tell support you had problems early on and explain you did some troubleshooting with me, link to this thread, we'll help out.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks again for your help

Comment

You might want to check the direction of the fan. I have two luna chargers and BOTH blew air INTO the charger! Maybe I'm wrong, but I want to EXHAUST hot air from the charger. After reversing the fan(s) my chargers seem to run a lot cooler.

Comment

Since i fixed the fan plug the charger barley gets warm so i think im good. But thanks for info just incase

Comment

Working...
                X