Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reliable but silent charger for 48V battery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reliable but silent charger for 48V battery?

I have a grin cycle satiator, which is wonderful. But I cannot buy one more because it is expensive. Do you have any recommendation for a charger for 48V GA 13.5ah battery that is reliable and fanless? I want to charge my battery in my office and do not want to hear fan noise. Advanced 300W Luna charger's fan noise was too loud for me.

Mean Well CLG-150-48A PS (power supply) is great for silent, durable, affordable charging.

Need a power meter to adjust Amps over low-high charge curve but once adjusted they work a treat for 48V. I've had several of 'em and they can usually be adjusted to about 58.3V which is "doable" for 52V pack.

Comment

Originally posted by ykick View Post
      Mean Well CLG-150-48A PS (power supply) is great for silent, durable, affordable charging.

Need a power meter to adjust Amps over low-high charge curve but once adjusted they work a treat for 48V. I've had several of 'em and they can usually be adjusted to about 58.3V which is "doable" for 52V pack.
      Could you explain how to use the power supply as a charger? Where can I find more information about using it as a charger? I googled a bit, but I could not find relevant information. Thanks,

Comment

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        There probably isn’t much out there for this particular model although folks have used different model Mean Well PS’s as battery chargers for years.

Lithium battery charger’s basically a PS (power supply). Once you add proper connectors and perform V/I adjustment, PS performs basically the same job as a lithium battery pack charger.

CLG150 units are extremely rugged, fan less and therefore silent operation. They’re also the only “charger” I’ve found that I would consider permanently mounting to a bike. If I have some time I’ll throw up a pic or two and try to describe/illustrate the connections and simple adjustment required?

Do you have much electronic/electrical background? DVM, soldering, tools, connector solutions?

ykick I have very basic understanding of electricals. But I am comfortable with soldering and have various tools. It will be wonderful if you can post some photos and explain about adjustments. This is exciting! Thanks,

Comment

Or, anybody can suggest a non-DIY charger that is fanless and reliable? Luna's chargers have fan, and I don't want to have their fan noise in my office.

Comment

Luna sells a basic one that's fanless. Never tried it. Are they considered unreliable?

https://lunacycle.com/batteries/char...ttery-charger/

Comment

Originally posted by skymon View Post
            Luna sells a basic one that's fanless. Never tried it. Are they considered unreliable?

https://lunacycle.com/batteries/char...ttery-charger/
            Are you completely sure that the charger does not have a fan? I cannot tell from the photos. Thanks!

Comment

• Rodney64
              Rodney64 commented
              Editing a comment
              They do have a fan but its quiet

ykick I would be very appreciative of some info on this Mean Well unit myself. I already have two Luna chargers at my regular destination and home. A weatherproof on-bike charger would eliminate that last bit of range anxiety.

After some looking I think I have the connections figured out, but it wouldn't hurt to have confirmation...
            DC out is red to red and black to black. Simple enough?
            AC in is
            • green to green for for ground,
            • black to brown (AC+)
            • white to blue (AC-)
            Knowing the adjustment procedure would be awesome.
            Last edited by MoneyPit; 1 week ago.

Comment

I'm thinking that any 48V power supply that has constant voltage output should work. Just need to solder or add an adapter to match your battery's connector.

Like this? Any other considerations?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HE...2xL&ref=plSrch

Although, 48V is not going to fully charge a 48V pack. It will "half-charge" it, unless as suggested you can adgust the output voltage up a bit. Or you are OK with 1/2 charge to the nominal 48V...
              Last edited by Kocho; 6 days ago.

Comment

Sorry folks who asked for more info - this will no doubt be a mess but here's some pics to better understand wtf I'm talking about:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	45319
                Attached Files

Comment

• ykick
                  ykick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a 12S RC Lipo pack so I'm going for 50.4V top charge voltage. Adjust current using a resistive load (oil filled heater element) and then check it on the battery pack throughout the charge cycle from low-high voltage. I simply try to maintain 150W as the Amps will vary depending on Voltage.

The main trick is to have connectors and power meter.

Here's the top voltage on one of those units - 58.1V Slightly under for full 100% 52V pack but very close and probably not more than 1 mile difference practical range compared to full 58.8V

Name:	image3.JPG
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	45322

Here's low end of voltage range which works for 36V packs (42V) -

Name:	image2.JPG
Size:	808.5 KB
ID:	45323

Comment

Thx ykick! I have both 36v and 52v systems so sounds like adjustment would be fairly straightforward, although I .would only use this on my 52v systems.

Here comes a dumb question as I'm only familiar with these from this thread: You adjust voltage up or down via the two adjustors in tandem? Not a procedure I'm familiar with.
                  Last edited by MoneyPit; 4 days ago.

Comment

• ykick
                    ykick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Vo = voltage adjust. And yes, merely crank it up/down with a meter attached. For lithium ion/poly packs: 36V=42V, 48V=54.6V, 52V=58.8V As mentioned, my units only adjust up to 58.2V or so. That will work for 52V packs but not quite full charge.

Io = current adjust. This is where a power meter is needed to prevent too high of charge current setting. Output power adjusted below 150W throughout the entire battery pack charge range. I use resistive load to set initial current (Amps) and then I check it frequently as the battery pack charges.

The lowest current I was able to adjust was about 1A. It's not a very touchy adjustment pot.

• MoneyPit
                    MoneyPit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Got it. Thx!

I think one is a LOW adjustment and one is a HIGH adjustment, but ykick can explain that...

I have another question: Does this power supply used as a charger (said to be the same thing) shut off once the battery is charged?

Comment

• ykick
                    ykick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Vo = voltage output

Io = current (Amps) output

One adjustment for each.

When the pack reaches the desired Vo - Amps will no longer flow which is effectively OFF.

• Rider
                    Rider commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. Saw lo and assumed the other one blocked by your hand was hi. What's the old saying about assuming? Lol...

Does it shut off when at full charge?

• ykick
                    ykick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good old electronic nomenclature I=A, right?

btw, for us cheap skates, myself and others have bought these (used surplus eBay) as low as $15 shipped. Whenever they're under $30 shipped I can't help but grab one or two. Can't have too many charger systems, IMO.

So, because it is just a simple converted "power supply" I take it that it never shuts off, right? Will it damage the battery if you leave it connected after the battery is charged to the setting level? Or overnight if you forget it?

Comment

• ykick
                    ykick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When the pack reaches the desired Vo - Amps will no longer flow which is effectively OFF.

I have no problem leaving it connected overnight or days on end if I want a BMS equipped pack to balance.

• Rider
                    Rider commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks you!

ykick thank you very much for your help walking us thru this. Looks like a fun DIY project! I have to dig up my multimeter now.

Comment

Working...
                  X