Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reliable but silent charger for 48V battery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ykick if I may bend your ear one more time: Here is my plan given limited testing resources.

I have 52v batteries I can use for 'testing platforms'. In particular a Luna Storm with 25R's inside and a pair of 30Q Mighty Mini cubes hooked up in parallel. I just picked up a 60v-capable Luna battery meter.

My assumption is if I crank the voltage and current to their max I will have a charger that charges to 58.3v at 3.2a.

I want to use this charger on a 48v system. So I can use a 52v battery rather than an oil heater (which I don't have) and dial it back until I get the desired ending voltage. I'll use the battery gauge (looks same as the one you pictured) to dial back the amperage, which I'd like to be at about 2 amps.

I should be able to simply connect to the battery, dial back both adjusters just a bit for the first try and have a decent shot at getting the job done from there. Current should be fairly quick to adjust and voltage figured out after a few tries.

Comment

• ykick
      ykick commented
      Editing a comment
      If you charge 58.3V @ 3.2A that’s about 186W. This PS (power supply) is rated for 150W. Now, you probably wouldn’t be drawing 3.2A @ 58.3V but it’s always a good idea to do the math and understand the power Watts at work. Literally.

It’s possible to setup the initial current draw with a depleted battery pack too. It’s not that complicated. Set the voltage to your desired value and then adjust current to remain within 150W power during the charge curve.

• MoneyPit
      MoneyPit commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that and understood. Thanks! I would have done the math, and its doubtful I will go past 51.5v on this charger - I'll do a monthly 100% balance charge with my Satiator. Probably a better starting plan is to dial down current to minimum to confirm it really is at the rated 1.6 amps and go from there. I ride regular routes and thus can schedule my charging, so normally I charge batteries at 1 amp to try and maximize battery longevity. If I stray from my target of 2 amps it will be to take it down not up.

• ykick
      ykick commented
      Editing a comment
      Might be counter-intuitive but IO = Amp output lowers when turning the pot clockwise. It increases when turned counter-clockwise or left hand direction.

Thanks again ykick . Wiring was straightforward as described above. A battery meter was indeed essential and made the process very simple: Just plug it in without a load to set the target voltage. Plug in the battery and monitor it to see what the amperage/wattage is. In my case wattage varied widely moment to moment but I like to charge slow so leaving it at the minimum, which the meter is telling me is hovering around 1-1.1 amps, is fine by me.

Voltage ranges from 38.0 minimum to 58.1 max on mine, at least insofar as what the meter is telling me. So this thing is good to go for 36, 48 and 52v systems as has been noted above.

I tested on a 52v battery depleted to 46v. Set the 'charger' to charge to 50v. It hit the target voltage just fine.

Runs cool and silent. Diggin' it.

Comment

• ykick
      ykick commented
      Editing a comment
      My only practical complaint is that they're kinda heavy but I supposed that's the cost of fan-less operation while being water and vibration resistant? I think they're potted inside so no parts can break loose when carried solidly mounted to a bike. And when you find 'em surplus pricing they're generally a GREAT bargain.

• MoneyPit
      MoneyPit commented
      Editing a comment
      Considering my other traveling charger is a 72v Satiator ... and you know what THAT price tag was... Its still a deal at $50 Amazon pricing. I had an XT60 pigtail in my parts pile already, and $8 for a pigtail'd 18AWG 3-prong cord. I'll re-use the battery gauge for all sorts of stuff. (Winner x 2) = chicken dinner

Here's a related question: I am using a couple of the CLG-150-48A units. Both work great. I have multiple regular destinations and I am secreting a charger at each location so I can just plug in after I arrive.
    I need another one and I was poking around...

What about the HLG-185H-54A? Its current rating is 27-54v, its rated power is a little higher at 185w (186.3 on the spec sheet). Its amp range is a touch higher at both the low and high end. It looks as if the main difference in this unit is its a little tougher - suitable for damp and wet locations as well as hazardous locations.

Is there something hiding in these specs I am missing that makes it unsuitable for a 52v system?

the HLG-185-54:
    http://a.co/3QHFg2P

the CLG-150-48:
    http://a.co/atycrAZ

spec sheets for each (also in the links above)

Click image for larger version

Name:	81GuU1l7uWL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	50126

Click image for larger version

Name:	81wLQzb-dPL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	50127​​​​​​​

Comment

Answering my own question above from last year, which I never did anything about. I had to bite the bullet when a backup charger that I was using for a primary went down, and had to pick up a new one to replace it. I found someone on Fleabay selling new HLG-185-54A chargers for $30 plus $12 shipping and picked up two of them.

It works perfectly. With its 185w rating this is a 3a charger if you want it to be. Its adjustment range makes it good for 48v and 52v batteries, and it is expressly rated for harsh/outdoor environments.

Voltage range is rated at 49-58v. In actuality the range on my two units is 48v to 60v.

Amperage is rated for a range of 1.72a - 3.45a. In actuality you can go down to 0.90a and up to 3.80a. However doing the math of volts-times-amps-equals-watts tells you that 3.8a is only within the unit's rated 185 watts at up to 48.6v. 3a is a safe number for any 80% or 100% charge on a 52v battery. Me, I use 1.0 amps as I just park the bike for the day and let the power trickle back in while I am in the office.

For daily use, these units appear to be bulletproof and as adjustable as I need them to be. I keep a small screwdriver in my tool bag for the occasional tweak or voltage increase if I need to make a longer trip somewhere.

If you aren't shy about connecting power plugs to the bare leads you are given, and you trust yourself not to adjust the thing improperly... these are an excellent option.

Comment

On Saturday I built up another one of these for a new build I did. I carry a charger onboard with me in case I get into a jam. I decided to try out the HLG-320H-54A. Thats the 320 watt version of the charger above. Difference is it is bigger and its MTBF is merely 157,000 houirs (!)

This charger cannot be dialed town to the roughly 0.75a the HLG-185 is capable of for trickle charging. Its lowest limit is about 2 amps. I bought it so I could set it up as a 5a 58.75v charger under the theory that if I am stuck somewhere I want to get as much charge as I can as fast as I am able. The unit can handle more than 5 amps but thats the max abuse I am willing to heap on my battery.

This thing really is much bigger than the 185. Only go this route if you are serious about a high charge rate. Otherwise the HLG-185 is capable of a 58.8v charge at 3a and is probably less than half the weight of the 320.

A molle water bottle pouch is perfect for carrying one of these chargers and their cords. This bigger one works with any model. The 185 can fit just fine into the smaller cheaper ones.

http://a.co/d/4pDj9oh

Open image in new window to embiggen

Last edited by MoneyPit; 09-04-2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X