Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reliable but silent charger for 48V battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoneyPit
    replied
    ykick I would be very appreciative of some info on this Mean Well unit myself. I already have two Luna chargers at my regular destination and home. A weatherproof on-bike charger would eliminate that last bit of range anxiety.

After some looking I think I have the connections figured out, but it wouldn't hurt to have confirmation...
    DC out is red to red and black to black. Simple enough?
    AC in is
    • green to green for for ground,
    • black to brown (AC+)
    • white to blue (AC-)
    Knowing the adjustment procedure would be awesome.
    Last edited by MoneyPit; 09-14-2017, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney64
    commented on 's reply
    They do have a fan but its quiet

• vivaldi
    replied
    Originally posted by skymon View Post
    Luna sells a basic one that's fanless. Never tried it. Are they considered unreliable?

https://lunacycle.com/batteries/char...ttery-charger/
    Are you completely sure that the charger does not have a fan? I cannot tell from the photos. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• skymon
    replied
    Luna sells a basic one that's fanless. Never tried it. Are they considered unreliable?

https://lunacycle.com/batteries/char...ttery-charger/

Leave a comment:

• vivaldi
    replied
    Or, anybody can suggest a non-DIY charger that is fanless and reliable? Luna's chargers have fan, and I don't want to have their fan noise in my office.

Leave a comment:

• vivaldi
    replied
    ykick I have very basic understanding of electricals. But I am comfortable with soldering and have various tools. It will be wonderful if you can post some photos and explain about adjustments. This is exciting! Thanks,

Leave a comment:

• ykick
    commented on 's reply
    There probably isn’t much out there for this particular model although folks have used different model Mean Well PS’s as battery chargers for years.

Lithium battery charger’s basically a PS (power supply). Once you add proper connectors and perform V/I adjustment, PS performs basically the same job as a lithium battery pack charger.

CLG150 units are extremely rugged, fan less and therefore silent operation. They’re also the only “charger” I’ve found that I would consider permanently mounting to a bike. If I have some time I’ll throw up a pic or two and try to describe/illustrate the connections and simple adjustment required?

Do you have much electronic/electrical background? DVM, soldering, tools, connector solutions?

• vivaldi
    replied
    Originally posted by ykick View Post
    Mean Well CLG-150-48A PS (power supply) is great for silent, durable, affordable charging.

Need a power meter to adjust Amps over low-high charge curve but once adjusted they work a treat for 48V. I've had several of 'em and they can usually be adjusted to about 58.3V which is "doable" for 52V pack.
    Could you explain how to use the power supply as a charger? Where can I find more information about using it as a charger? I googled a bit, but I could not find relevant information. Thanks,

Leave a comment:

• ykick
    replied
    Mean Well CLG-150-48A PS (power supply) is great for silent, durable, affordable charging.

Need a power meter to adjust Amps over low-high charge curve but once adjusted they work a treat for 48V. I've had several of 'em and they can usually be adjusted to about 58.3V which is "doable" for 52V pack.

Leave a comment:

• vivaldi
    started a topic Reliable but silent charger for 48V battery?

Reliable but silent charger for 48V battery?

I have a grin cycle satiator, which is wonderful. But I cannot buy one more because it is expensive. Do you have any recommendation for a charger for 48V GA 13.5ah battery that is reliable and fanless? I want to charge my battery in my office and do not want to hear fan noise. Advanced 300W Luna charger's fan noise was too loud for me.
Working...
X