Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a 3.1 mA battery drain after charging a concern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommycat
    replied
    Well done! Thank you for the update, picture, and information!

So to be clear, on your board...

0(v)= Voltage Adjust= CW to Decrease.
    I(A)= Current Adjust= CW to Decrease.
    VR3= Current Shut-Off= CW to Increase.

Here's your bonus.

ATTABOY! :-)
    Last edited by Tommycat; 04-11-2019, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• eCooker
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommycat View Post
    Hi eCooker,

Did you get this sorted out ok? I have someone with what looks like the same board designations and I want to verify with you if I guessed correctly on which were which. And a bonus if you say which direction they had to be turned for what result... :-)
    Hi Tommycat,

Yes I finally got it adjusted last night and my battery was so much better today on my commute to work. Please see attached.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    replied
    Hi eCooker,

Did you get this sorted out ok? I have someone with what looks like the same board designations and I want to verify with you if I guessed correctly on which were which. And a bonus if you say which direction they had to be turned for what result... :-)

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    replied
    For easier viewing...

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARQT3LfAcclm3lw4sIogj0e0oDvvTBDvDeLwTFKvHUzHg9HoH7NitY0VKh3uMiwXtqrv5x8kC_ucfkb-Au5-FTvifRsc5fNRqUJXRGaMT40THula1KUpfeLvFFSKcgj06UnjBcUt6Q=w429-h572-no.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	78505

Click image for larger version  Name:	eazU40CvnTQ80jED0oHPGlyxjTSB-bYRz1u9wET4vedNBHYFPheDGR_C4OFVQhwoxygQDBxVs-CbCMoZu7sPqVqdLWhnnsriPQVNTZtSNrWIS-C0apIaB711KD_8baN_RkaNRHF7BA=w429-h572-no.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	78506

Click image for larger version  Name:	0E_ydpKA5TBLy7oPitgGfzXuOif22M08yxf0qX6xOJXRsv8qC5-S5g3jyvpf6U8t-2ItvSosCbSvg4kszORqUqEx17p3IGxElYseuG-rwOSuKaMJKNWteZhg7Y05eePMeGxB6PwtMQ=w429-h572-no.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	78507

I would double check your charging output (3 amps with a low battery). But I certainly agree with your math and final desired setting if it is truly putting out 3 amps...
    UPDATE: The verified pot designations, locations, and what they adjust are provided by eCooker below!
    Last edited by Tommycat; 03-04-2019, 06:22 AM. Reason: Added UPDATE...

Leave a comment:

• eCooker
    replied
    Thanks but mine don't have V1, A1, and ZH1.
    I took some better images today. Please cut and paste these links in a new tab:
    This one looks like "VR3" https://photos.app.goo.gl/X4Y4WSD5tVBgU7Ur7
    This one looks like something then "V" in brackets? https://photos.app.goo.gl/JezC2cxiVkEbY1YU8
    This one looks like amps "I (A)" ? https://photos.app.goo.gl/LzVX8aQtymKK6dYR6

Regarding the cutoff current (when I know which pot to adjust) = 5% of rated output right?
    So my 3amps x 58.8 charger is 176.4 Watts. I can set my CC to 3 x 5% = 150mA Correct? (Currently 260mA) Label on charger: https://photos.app.goo.gl/j2pnGPspYFULVJJC9

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    replied
    Originally posted by eCooker View Post
    Mine is not like either of the ones in that post...
    Which comes as no surprise as the Mini has probably gone thru several different generations of types and perhaps manufactures. But the main point I was making is that if you look closely at the green PCB and the screened white parts labels. You may see next to the pot, designations that we have discussed. V1, A1, and ZH1.

So if you do, and they match, I would feel confident that they would adjust the parameters as discussed in Sebz's Charger thread.

As AZguy points out a good meter is a must. And as Sebz points out... Make sure your battery cells are all good, and balanced!

That said I don't think you could get into too much trouble turning the shut-off current down a bit. As the worst that could happen is that it would take a long time to shut off... but you need to have the right pot!

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    I don't have any desire to fiddle with my chargers but I sure wouldn't do it unless I knew exactly what the pots did and I sure wouldn't do it with a cheap low accuracy meter... but that's just me... the only reason I would fuss with them is if the calibrated bench meter showed they were off from nominal and I was totally confident I knew which turn did what....

Leave a comment:

• eCooker
    replied
    Mine is not like either of the ones in that post...

Click image for larger version

Name:	eCookers_charger.png
Views:	221
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	78232

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    replied
    According to Sebz thread...

How to adjust the Luna charger

They all have 3 potentiometers in them, we will call them P1, P2 & P3
    • P1 is CV (Constant voltage) adjustment. turning this pot will change the final voltage.
    • P2 is CC (Constant current) adjustment. turning this pot will raise or lower the max current in the constant current phase.
    • P3 is the current cutoff at the end of the charge cycle. Basically what will terminate the charge. turning this pot will change at what amperage the charger will stop. Normally is will cutoff at around 5% of the max amperage. So a 300W set at 5amp will cut the charge to .25amp (regardless of the amperage switch position).

This is how my board looks. And how it is labeled.

Leave a comment:

• Sebz
    commented on 's reply
    Seems like the newer mini charger pots are different or that I made a mistake when I added labels to the original pic.. The mini I just inspected had V1 and A1 markings on the board and they correspond to :V1= p1 (voltage adjust) and A1 = P2 current adjust. The other one is still P3 (marked as ZH1)

• Tommycat
    commented on 's reply
    Worth a try... I will check on my labels and let you know. It should be printed right beside the pot. Access requires just the top screws on each end works for me... ;-)

• eCooker
    commented on 's reply
    Will that help me identify my Pots? Should I look on the bottom of my board maybe?

• Tommycat
    replied
    My Mini only actually puts out 2.5 amps. Doing the math with 5% of max amps, it should cut off at 125mA. If you want to get closer, let me know and I'll open mine up and read the board designations for you...

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    Originally posted by eCooker View Post
    Thanks. Not sure why I have to unplug and replug multiple times to get a full charge then?
    Some Luna chargers are known to work that way. Mine both do, too. Not sure why, either. Cutoff current set higher than needed for a particular BMS, is my best guess, per my above.

Leave a comment:

• eCooker
    replied
    Thanks. Not sure why I have to unplug and replug multiple times to get a full charge then?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X