Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a Scooter or Converting a Vespa 946

Hi guys,
    I'm fresh of the boat here. I always want to build a cool real-world electric scooter but I have absolutely no experience in battery and electric motor. Can someone tell me if it's possible to built something like a Vespa 946 with at least 70 mile-realword range (city stop and go traffic with average speed of 30 mph) for no more than $2000 given a chassis is provided?
    Attached Files

$2000 "might" buy enough battery cells for that performance target but not much else. Then you'll need to find room to sensibly mount them...

Comment

Originally posted by ykick View Post
      $2000 "might" buy enough battery cells for that performance target but not much else. Then you'll need to find room to sensibly mount them...
      Agreed. In our neck of the woods, we see a lot of purpose built "scooter-style" e-bikes from China. Some of them look a lot like Vespa's, although clearly not the same build quality. Our experience would suggest to propel a heavy bike like that at the speeds/distance you suggest would probably require a 72V pack and 40 or 50Ah capacity, plus of course a high amp controller, a wheel with a direct drive hub motor, throttle and brake cutoff handles.

Comment

ykick and Fred, thank you. My dream is crushed.

Fred, I know what you're talking about, the Chinese scooter electric ones. They are garbage. They don't perform as they claim. If they claim a 50 mile range it would serious do 15 miles (if you're lucky).

Can anyone recommend me a good brushless mid mount motor sufficient enough to achieve 55 mph on a 200 lb frame plus another 200 of rider?

Thanks

Comment

I take no pleasure in crushing dreams my friend. But current reality is reality so....

I think you can buy scooter hub motors capable of that level performance? Mid drive? I can't think of much in the bicycle realm for those specs. Maybe a hot rodded Cyclone? But that's really motorcycle territory. Check into Zero motorcycles for the state of the art there....

Comment

• ykick
            ykick commented
            Editing a comment
            The problem though is really range as stated in OP. Keep range more "reasonable" and you can build for that speed and weight capacity easy enough using the large scooter hub motors.

What about one of these?
          https://lunacycle.com/motors-and-kit...less-rc-motor/
          I am also tilting at windmills.. Thinking of converting a 200 lb Yamaha Zuma... As said above.. It's the battery cost that hurts the most. My estimate is same as above.. 72v and about 40 to 50AH to get a ~one hr. run time....
          I am thinking that it will cost around $3k + the scooter to do this.
          Last edited by Arboh; 05-16-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

How about one of the 7.5KW monster cyclones and two 72V 17.4AH batts in parallel to split the amperage load. This would certainly outperform a stock Zuma. Limited range to be sure, but for city trips and commuting. Could be a lot of fun. Anybody want to buy the parts for me? :-)

Comment

For a "Vespa" style scooter with spirited performance and serious load carrying capacity I'd probably go with something along these lines:

http://www.qs-motor.com/product-cata...ter-hub-motor/

3-5kW motor would probably handle it...

Comment

• ayon69
                ayon69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi ykick, Could you please help me by suggesting on conversion of a Vespa Piaggio 1965 model ? I want to remove the engine and replace a hub motor wheel in back. how much battery power and wheel hub motor needed for 65+ km speed and 90-100km distance ride for full charge battery ?

The battery is always the most expensive and important part of a conversation, especially on a scooter platform where you don't have the option to pedal home if your battery dies.

To give some perspective on typical power consumption:
              • Electric cars use around 280 watt hours per mile
              • Electric motorcycles use around 150 wh/mile
              • High speed e-bikes use around 50 wh/mile
              • My e-bike uses around 30 wh/mile with light pedal assist
              I'd budget at least 80 watt-hours per mile for your Vespa platform. That means you need around a 5.6 kWh battery pack. You'd need to join 4 of Luna cycles mega range 24ah triangles (each of them cost $800) You might be able to save a bit if you bought bare li-ion cells and build a pack yourself, but you're still looking at $2500+ for a battery alone, never mind the rest of the kit.

I thought about building an electric motorcycle, but the cost projections just skyrocket beyond what I can afford. Honestly for your Vespa, a realistic budget when all is said and done would be $5k, not including the donor vehicle. Some people can cheap out and go with lead acid batteries, but those vehicles really suck. They are super heavy and have a real world 20 mile range. For that, I'd rather stick to my bicycle.
              Last edited by Brendon1128; 05-23-2017, 01:38 PM.

Comment

has anyone tried this http://www.crank-e.at/

Comment

Working...
                X