Chains, Where do they brake?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chains, Where do they brake?

Chain failure on powered bikes. Assuming were dealing with quality chains where do the chains fail, is this a pin failure issue or do the sides of the links actually snap? I am working with Sram components and intend to convert a 9 speed cassette to 3 or 4 speeds and should be able to space my sprockets as needed for the chain that I use. Are single speed chains being wider inherently stronger than chains design for multi-speed cassettes?

My breaks typically happen where the pin pulls out of the links side. I've only had breakages when I hammer the throttle from a stopped position. I've learned my lesson and try to avoid running the motor like that.

Comment

• Giant Rider
      Giant Rider commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, good answer, short and answers the question.Greatly appreciated. Probably 50% of my riding is going to be off-road single track and fire roads etc. and to boot am not really a lightweight guy at 250 pounds so my chains are probably going to see a little more stress than the average.

I`d look for the KMC ebike chain range and the Wipperman type.

Comment

• mrm
      mrm commented
      Editing a comment
      First off, look at your chain line. If you use a derailleur, and have any kind of power, you will break chains. If your chain line is not STRAIGHT (IE, IGH hub) You will eat chains. A derailleur set up(crooked chain) is not made to take any kind of power over your legs. I used to have a 2 gear set up on my SX-RK3 hub. Broke chains often. Single gear(straight line chain line) so far, no problems. Bike chains, and gears(dérailleurs) weren't made to handle motors.
      Last edited by mrm; 09-16-2017, 02:51 PM.

Ok mrm this is what I was looking for lots of broken chains. Now, where do they break???

Comment

Originally posted by Giant Rider View Post
      Ok mrm this is what I was looking for lots of broken chains. Now, where do they break???
      Most chains I have killed have been on one side(pin pulled out of the side plate) due to use of a derailleur. Constant twisting of the chain (due to) a dérailleur loosens the side plate(pin) on the chain. An IGH with a STRAIGHT chain line eliminates this. Straight chain lines are hard to do. On my SK-RK3 hubs,one can put the rear sprocket (chainline) in many different positions. BUT, I still carry a spare chain, cut to fit, many spare links and a chain tool. I also ONLY use single speed chains(my favorite is KMC Z410).

Comment

Working...
      X