E-bike Controls Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-bike Controls Survey

Hello E-bike enthusiasts! I am a Dutch 4th year Industrial Product Design student and for my bachelors graduation project I need your help!

I am interested in learning more about the users of E-bikes and what they think of the current E-bike controls, at the moment I am doing a graduation project about redesigning the controls for the E-bike with the goal of making an ergonomic, minimalistic and especially intuitive design where only the essential control elements of an e-bike are included.

Therefore I have made a small survey, this will only take you about 5 minutes. Thank you in advance!

https://goo.gl/forms/qOErIjzPAQzrf3lJ3

Done. More like 10-15 min, though, a lot of 'other' answers required typing, and the text entry is hard to use. At the end I quit typing answers, some blanks, was taking too long...but I left you some insightful comments which I hope will be helpful.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

The minimalist setup I’d like to see is a super light weight electric assist mid-drive that freewheels without drag so you can ride it as a bicycle without penalty. As for controls, all that is needed is an on/off button (or key) and a variable assist lever or button for power assist that only works when pedaling (not a throttle). This is my preferred setup for a MTB. All you need a a little extra help,when climbing and the rest of the time it is simply a bicycle. The mid-drive MUST be completely silent too. Good luck is your designs.
      MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
      2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
      2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Comment

• tklop
        tklop commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm...

Lightweight? Check.

Freewheels with zero extra drag? Check.

Up - On/off - Dn button? Check.

No throttle? Check.

MUST be completely silent too? Well--now you're dreaming. A mid-drive cannot deliver power to your wheels without gears. To be "completely silent" a mid-drive would need to somehow circumvent the laws of physics.

Other than that fantasy (I'd love a silent mid-drive too)--it sounds a whole lot like you're describing the TSDZ2! (and in fairness--it's quieter than most mid-drives on the market---I share the bike-paths with hundreds of others of various brands).

I'm with you though--simplicity is really the way to go!

All the best

Tklop

Bicycles (as you should know--if you are in The Netherlands) are not "for indoor use only" devices.

Therefore--the most important recommendation possible I have to offer, is this:

Any components, controls, input-devices, sensors, or any other electrical device intended for use on a bicycle--should be waterproof and tough enough to withstand long-term use on a rental jet-ski.

Whatever your thesis or goals, be sure to include this as a bare-minimum standard--in your most important of conclusions. The industry as a whole has refused to acknowledge this simple reality in any mainstream designs to date--including the ridiculously overpriced, overrated, and underperforming "Stromer" series of junk-bikes.

Much work has been put in by companies like Luna Cycle; customizing and hand-manufacturing individual components--for weatherproofing--(like the batteries available to their North American customers). Individual "end users" too have done much to weatherproof their projects. But none of the mass-produced e-bike components show even the faintest signs that any real waterproofing effort was invested. This includes throttles, e-bike brake-handles (which could just as easily have waterproof microswitches inside), control-dongles, displays, even simple sensors--all easily could be much better.

Must withstand long-term use--when installed on a rental jet-ski. Anything less--go back to the drawing board and try again.

Best of luck!

Tklop
      Last edited by tklop; 12-01-2019, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Interesting survey, already passed it.

Comment

I'm very interested in electric bikes, although I do not have enough knowledge about them. I was thinking about learning the basics of electric bikes and tutorials on how to use them. I started completing surveys and reading comments on them. I would like to get some advice on what electric bike to get. I have an eight thousand dollar budget and I don't want to spend it on a bike that will not last for long. If you have the time and will to help me I would be very grateful.
          Last edited by simonama; 06-13-2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Dean Robertson
            Dean Robertson commented
            Editing a comment
            Simonama, I currently have a Luna Enduro X1 with the ludicrous mode and super quiet options. I have owned, or ridden, (1) Haibike (4 years), (2) Giants (one bike only a few days, the other, a few weeks), (2) Treks; a rail 7 and a Rail 9.7, which belong to a friend, and, the LUNA, which I've owned since mid-July of this year ('21).
            Of the above cited bikes, I would recommend: #1) Trek(s); #2) Haibike; #3) Luna Enduro X1. I cannot recommend the Giants as I had very costly electrical problems with both.
            I don't know what kind of riding you will be doing, your skill level, age, etc., etc., so I will make no assumptions in that regard. I have ridden mountainbikes for 30 years and have a fair amount of experience with various types of terrain, from flat fireroads, to the sandstone of Moab, Utah, as well as twisty, steep singletrack.
            Things are changing rapidly in this arena, so what is top shelf today may seem antiquated next year. But, at this juncture, my personal recommendation would be to go with Trek. Trek seem to be quite reliable and has a good distribution and service network, and their machines are configured in the latest geometry. Trek use some Bontrager componentry, such as tires, so you may want to note that. I don't know, either, if you have yet gotten a bike, or how anxious you are to get one, but Trek is coming out with some upgrades soon, such as a 750w/h battery. Right now, the 2 models I cited above have 650w/h batteries which, when used in EMTB mode (the 2nd to the highest level of assist) will likely take you as far as you need to go on trails.
            Personally, I'd go with the Rail 7 as it is around $6K and about a thousand USD less than the 9.7. The difference in componentry probably wouldn't give you a huge advantage, at least not enough to warrant the extra expenditure.
            Anyway, I'll leave you with that. If you've already made a purchase, good luck and good riding.
            Dean Robertson
            Camarillo, CA, USA
        Working...
        X