Speedometer Installl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Installl

I'm almost finished with my new bike. I installed the magnet to a spoke and the speedometer devise attached to the frame. But where EXACTLY is the magnet is attached, at mid spoke? Or is it near the rim? Or is it close the hub? It seems it should be perfect to make it right to see the speed on the screen. And how close is the two parts? Is it 1/4 inch between the two, or how much?
    Any advice please.
    Michael

It doesn't really matter whether inboard or outboard on the spoke - the best place is where it goes best on the frame. The magnet needs to pass pretty close to the bafang sensors. Mine is about 1-1.5mm. The little light on the back makes it pretty easy...

Comment

Thanks AZguy. That helps.

Comment

If you have a choice, further out works better at lowest speeds. Magnet passes sensor faster, stronger signal. Even middle is good, but I'd avoid mounting near hub if possible.
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Since the sensor works when magnet is stationary (zero relative velocity) I don't think having it move faster helps. You're correct in that the signal is likely greater amplitude and of course it's shorter too and while I'm unconcerned that it will go too fast I'd be more concerned about it moving too fast since it *can't* move too slow... Just my .02...

• JPLabs
          JPLabs commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm, good point. I moved mine our more and it got better, came on earlier. But the reason I stated was admittedly unsubstantiated. Must have been other reasons. OK. Makes sense. I bet you are right, thanks.

While we are on the subject of speedometers- go to the Google play store and check out "digiHUD". It runs on android and is a great little dash board for an ebike. Especially if you have an old phone you don't have a use for.

Robert

Comment

• MoneyPit
          MoneyPit commented
          Editing a comment
          I use that one myself and its pretty awesome. Use it to verify speedo accuracy when I am setting up a display. Otherwise my phablet is a bit gigantic for my handlebars... but as you say if I had an older small phone this would be an excellent choice. Doesn't seem to use a lot of battery power.
      Working...
      X