Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a return ticket from Luna, or no?

Comment

Hello all, ready to start again. Just got my replacement controller, going to run at 52 volts until I get an eggrider v2. Meanwhile, I have a problem. I have no throttle at 0 PAS. Also I have misplaced my progeamming cable, but I am able to connect to the controller via bluetooth connection. My question is what motor do I choose at the beginning screen? There is no BBSHD so I a lil lost

Comment

Ok figured out that this is normal upon reading the documentation, duh

Comment

Ok, error code 30h. This occurred after I had changed the firmware to one of the 52 volt settings. Here's a rundown of what I did. I hooked it up to 52 volt , the replacement came with the Luna firmware installed. I was running the Dire wolf 52 volt setting. Wasn't sure which to choose so started with it. Then I changed to the other Luna battery option. Flying blind as I don't have a Luna Battery. Anyway when I turned it back on it threw the 30h error code and thats where I am stuck. I checked every connection, all good. Tried to hook up the mini usb but it wouldn't show, and I cannot do any thing on BT as my laptop has issues with that function. Stuck

Comment

• marcos
          marcos commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Dale, let me recap a bit:
          * Your controller came with the 52V Dire Wolf settings, and you reflashed the other 52V Wolf setting
          * You connected it to a 52V battery. What battery do you have?
          * Your XT90 has an anti-spark?
          * Does the BT show up in your phone app? You had to use the phone to update the firmware
          * I never had to install anything for the usb to work, but this guy had to install a usb driver: https://vesc-project.com/node/1382 Looks like only windows 10 comes with the driver pre-installed,

Battery I have came from Lite Speed in Jersey, 52v 27ah. VESC in installed on a Windows 7 laptop with Windows 10 upgrade. Issue with the cable could be the mini usb I have, it's the only one I have that's long enough. Got it to connect via BT on my laptop momentarily. Connectors are XT 90 anti spark. When I connect with my phone now getting an error 30h, so cannot get past that. Help?

Comment

Trying to get the download from ST, had to register. Will report back with any progress and thanks marco and all so far!

Comment

• marcos
            marcos commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool, keep us posted. If BT is working the hardware is most likely ok, lots of things need to be norminal in order for BT to work. Anyways USB is a solid way to get it back to a working state. You can ask support or PM me for the firmware .bin files

To ease USB use, short right-angle micro-USB "pigtail" extension cables are available for a few dollars (eBay, Amazon, etc.) which extend the connection just outside of the housing. Protective caps are also available.
          BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

Marcos...in reference to the added Anti-Chainslap functionality...I am concerned that this feature may affect my ability to get a clean (off throttle) shift on my IGH (Alfine 8)...any thoughts?

Comment

• marcos
              marcos commented
              Editing a comment
              The code will provide 0.01% of the available torque to prevent the motor from stopping. So even in the higher 150Amps level it only supplies 30mA to the motor, shouldn't damage anything.
              The current approach is to just keep the motor spinning for a little extra time because most of the slapping comes from accelerating a light motor until it clashes with the chain speed. One day I hope to add an acceleration limiter, but for now keeping the motor spinning was quick and easy.

Ludicros V2 is installed and working on my bike with Eggrider display and Wolf 52v battery. I downloaded the VESC app to my android device from the link in Post #1 above.
            The app connects to the controller but no files can be uploaded from the Firmware/Custom File feature.
            When I try to install the App Installer I get a message that the App is not installed.
            Marcos says at post #41.1 that there is a "Luna Edition VESC Tool". Is this the same as the App I downloaded?
            Thanks for any help to sort this out.
            Last edited by david7198; 1 week ago.

Comment

• marcos
              marcos commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi David, please uninstall the official vesc tool and install the luna edition we linked in this post:
              https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...704#post125704

I think the first post is outdated, I became a moderator a couple of days ago so I can now update that first post, will do that in the morning. Cheers

Marcos Thank you. I have it installed and am showing the three Wolf battery set ups available. Please confirm that there should not be any additional firmware updates at this time.

Comment

• marcos
              marcos commented
              Editing a comment
              I can confirm that the latest firmware release is the one included into that android app you installed, so there is no newer firmware than that. Not sure if thats what you were wondering.
              The next firmware release should happen sometime in May.
              Last edited by marcos; 1 week ago.

• david7198
              david7198 commented
              Editing a comment
              That is what I wanted to confirm. Thanks

Thanks for the V2, I am excited about building again. However I have problems.

First mistake is I went to Google Play and paid for vesc tool

Then the luna apk would not load.

Removed the paid version, loaded the Luna version. app says version 3.0

However there is no BBSHD motor listed, just the ones I saw in the paid version

The firmware. for the three Luna batteries is listed.

I loaded the wolf firmware, 14s4p Samsung.

The motor works, but at very very low power.

Anyone see what I did wrong?
            Last edited by xcnick; 1 week ago.

Comment

• xcnick
              xcnick commented
              Editing a comment
              Never mind. I didn't realize the throttle was tied to power level. I was on one the whole time. I did my controllers in the past to have 100% throttle at any PAS. We cooking with gas now!

• marcos
              marcos commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha glad you got it sorted out. We did have some discussion about having always full power available at the throttle by default, but just for safety we decided against it in case a new user gets hurt. This got pretty hardcoded for now.

• xcnick
              xcnick commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Marcos, good to meet you. The experience was very plug and play. Yes, I screw up many plug and plays. My first impression is that I am finally getting my money's worth from the 30Q batteries!
              Last edited by xcnick; 1 week ago.

Do we have directions for the Egg Rider with the version 2 Ludi?

I have read the posts again and again. My last post proves how little I retained from reading the excellent directions from Paxtana. I have never used the egg rider, but I have one in hand.

The post that worries me is Marcos telling Matt: "You will have to update the eggrider display firmware (we will provide it) and the ludi firmware because I think this protocol change didn't make it into the last firmware deployment."

thanks!

Comment

• xcnick
              xcnick commented
              Editing a comment
              The only thing to add is: “don't forget to come back and read this first post again when you have your precious in your greedy little hands.”

The eggrider is a necessary evil to try 72 volts on my snow bike, waiting with baited breath for the battery.

Marcos mentioned breaking bicycle parts as a bad thing. OK... but I hope we can all share. Experience has shown Version 1 will break every IGH except the Rolhoff. My snowbikes now run a variety of single speed conversions which have all stood up to version 1. Time to find out which is best.

Being summer, this V2 is hooked up to a Sram EX1 (ebike specific with wide ratios) and a an Onyx hub, (no pawls to break, no clickty click when coasting, perfect for drive bys.) I think the EX1 is doomed, but the Onyx will shine.

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              I had to look that up to see what an Onyx hub is. Very nice looking. Would love to try pairing that with a box prime 9 groupset.

• xcnick
              xcnick commented
              Editing a comment
              Historically engineers have turned their friends into crash test dummies by organizing competitions. Think about an online high jump contest. (Track stand, then blip the throttle and jump up on a rock or wall.) This V2 torque from dead stop combined with a 50lb bike might jump higher than a 150lb trials bike, Sur Ron, or anything out there. What could Danny MacAskill do with this?

So, putting the finishing touches on my BBSHD Ludicrous V2 with SA 3 speed and Gates belt drive. wow!

Will post a build report soon. My question is using the VESC tool, what is the best way to soften the power application for pedal assist and throttle? Any setting recommendations as a starting point? Thanks
            Adam

Comment

• ncmired
              ncmired commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi - I've found the throttle and pass work pretty softly when set to PAS 1 - unlike the stock controller stock setup, the V2's throttle "power" is proportioned to the PAS level. Additionally, at least with the universal throttle, the throttle range expands as you go up PAS levels - unlike with the stock controller, where only the first quarter of the throttle range does anything (if this makes sense).

P.S. also, no throttle power in PAS 0 (again, unlike the stock controller usually)

• marcos
              marcos commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Adam, I think you need to define "softer". I'm not sure if you want a slower response (heavy filtered PAS input) or just lower torque like ncmired pointed out.
              If you want your throttle to react slower, you go to Apps->ADC->General->Positive Ramping time
              If you want your PAS to react slower, you go to Apps->PAS->Positive Ramping time

These two settings introduce a delay. if you set it to 1.0, it will take 1.0 seconds to reach 100%

If you just want to reduce the torque you can do that using profiles.

Personally I just keep my motor current limit maxed out (150A at the throttle) and just play with App->PAS->PAS Max Current for lower PAS torque

I can definitely say I don't want the throttle maximum to follow the PAS level - it's a requirement for my riding

One of the big things I need from a throttle is that "emergency" umph and it needs to exceed the PAS level maximum considerably

Any plans on making this an option? Be best that it can be set to some nominal level but I'd live with max throttle being max power [all the time]

Comment

• AZguy
              AZguy commented
              Editing a comment
              I definitely don't want the throttle to change *ever* aside from diddling the parameters - it should behave the same always so we can get our muscle memory working with it proper

If max so be it although I'd be happy with it less - I've had motos where max throttle can dump you on your butt or break the rear wheel loose so I'm cozy that I can get used to anything as long as it's "enough"... but that's the point isn't it? I need to get used to it and if it changes that's much, much less practical... deal killer really...

I suppose since it's open source it's likely easy enough to address even if just hard coding a maximum but I'm not sure why a throttle that behaves differently depending on *any* other setting would ever be a good idea in my not so humble opinion... particularly in a higher power vehicle... a wrist will learn whatever it is but if it's not enough for the times we need a lot of power right at the moment and it's different at different times it's pointless... this seems like a serious and potentially dangerous flaw to me...

• marcos
              marcos commented
              Editing a comment
              We discussed this and it was done that way to avoid users getting injured with the default 150A setting.

Eventually it this be configurable from the app, but if its a hard requirement NOW you can change the code, its very few lines of code. I rode it your way for quite some time until we agreed to tie throttle to the levels.

• AZguy
              AZguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool Marcos - I figured it would be easy to address in code

My background is decades, more than a million miles, plenty of track time and desert racing motos and so I may have a different perspective on the throttle. For me it really needs to be consistent and I'm likely ok with full throttle being full power although I'd likely limit full power on this controller for both PAS and throttle... throttle needs to be consistent and exceed the power of the lower PAS levels which I would likely set a lot lower than most people - e.g. the maximum current in PAS1 on my BBSHD is just 1.8A (<~100W).

Thanks Marcos. Slower was the correct guess. Thanks. I’ll play with that.

Comment

Working...
            X