This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna BBSHD Ludicrous V2 controller documentation

Click image for larger version  Name:	cTgnE0YVDolwgl_rm_ZzQNQXlBR8cmDxaLorHgoA3RUKxSBqRKNhb55oIl3iX9KF2c3E2OkqxwFR3j5VvmUQynU-5N0fuKcS4Xhq-fUNPD4056XHSjFsUuy55lrZNhRL8rxUhQIq.png Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	123645

Safety Notice

This motor controller is powerful enough to melt a motor, wires, destroy a battery and break bones. With great power comes great responsibility! Don’t try to break stuff, because you will!

The controller comes with a default configuration that should work for even the wildest users. As you can tell from the extreme power density achieved, these motors, wires and power electronics are already being pushed to the limit.

We are offering it for people who know what they are doing and will be responsible with this kind of power (know what gear to ride in, understand battery limits, etc).

We prefer to sell this kit to our existing bike customers only. If you are a new customer you may need to convince us that this is the controller you want. This is for people who have owned the stock or ludicrous V1 BBSHD and want more.

Luna is supporting a fully Open Source platform named VESC®, which means users could potentially change any parameter of this motor drive, and have full access to the source code to change or improve fundamental features. Luna builds come in read-only mode to deter people from changing safety-critical parameters, but we know its only a mild entry barrier.

Modifying the default motor configuration is NOT advised as it greatly increases the likelihood of property damage and severe injury -and source code changes are far more dangerous-.

It is NOT legal to ride this on public streets or trails. We sell this controller for private property use and race/track riders.

Required tools and hardware
    • BBSHD drive unit
    • Allen (Hex) screwdriver/key set
    • A display (Luna/Bafang/Eggrider). For 72V systems, an eggrider display is required.
    • Datalogging is only supported on Android devices.
    • Dielectric grease

Installation

You can follow the BBSHD controller replacement video:

Additional mods and install details:
    This would be a good time follow our waterproofing steps as described here. A little dielectric grease or silicone on connectors and gaskets can be very useful to help protect your components and ensure they last a long time.

Depending on how hard you are riding you may also want to open up the casing while you have the motor out, and replace the stock nylon primary gear with our steel version.This will be better equipped to handle the extreme power that this controller puts out.

Replacing the controller is easier if the chainring is removed, so if you plan on changing your chainring size, this is a good time to do it.

It’s worth mentioning that the Ludicrous V2 can extend the top speed by about 25% for the same battery voltage, so you could get more torque from a smaller chainring while keeping the same end speed.

Note that there is no shift sensor cable installed. If you really want it you can use one of the brake cables, or a Y splitter.

Using the BBSHD Ludicrous V2

The controller works out of the box, its plug and play with no tuning needed.

It is designed to work in the same way as the stock controller: throttle accelerates, it has pedal assist, you can choose your power level and the display shows the same variables.

Because it's the same principle with a lot more power, here are few suggestions:
    • Check the maximum current you can draw from your battery.

If for example your battery can only provide 80A, set power level to 8 (more info about power levels below)
    • If your display is set at the maximum power level, be careful the first time you use it. In a low gear it can kick you off the bike.
    • Be mindful about the amount of power dumped into your motor. If you drive high currents for too long the winding temperature rise will engage the motor over temperature limit.

Changing controller parameters has been disabled in our firmware builds, for safety you won’t be able to change any motor related setting like max currents, temps, control loop parameters, etc.

The complete set of motor parameters is hardcoded at build time so it works out of the box and stays that way. We do acknowledge that a motivated user could build the open source firmware, but its not recommended as its easy to damage a controller if tuning is bad.

Power Levels

The BBSHD platform allows the user to set assist levels, typically 5, but some displays can be configured to use 9 levels.

When set to 9 levels, it modifes the torque (or phase current) produced by the bbshd in the following way:
    LEVEL 9
    100%
    LEVEL 8
    88.8%
    LEVEL 7
    77.7%
    LEVEL 6
    66.6%
    LEVEL 5
    55.5%
    LEVEL 4
    44.4%
    LEVEL 3
    33.3%
    LEVEL 2
    22.2%
    LEVEL 1
    11.1%
    LEVEL 0
    Throttle and PAS disabled
    Connecting to VESC Tool

Get the LUNA Edition VESC Tool app for Android here (uninstall previous VESC Tool if you already had it):
    Download the app installer

Here is a video tutorial to cover the basics of the connection:

WIRELESS CONNECTION - VESC-Tool Mobile Tutorial
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3AwH4DVbc1qyQ9LvrU6bPGoDMHN-aMuolz6yQDdk0ZaurY2iai0bi3-TXhrIvSD69e0oIHPe0WdYJMAWUjgyoPLZG3vtAhr0IJmGal30rznK8nQnUN7KAYe3EEq4FnArKxw6VZMt.png Views:	1 Size:	218.6 KB ID:	123658

1. Open the VESC Tool App and tap SCAN
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TBD3z4AZ2e2V1X6CdZJTIzCa6bjt0R2WOlKCY-cJSw-_IhBnyFC0xKHwXovcyrQ8hU60goPXl56RYapODDGZEZd42kzV08DLqqas4psH5MOTTRj8Q8TnX8iEJZjneEFjL14fcHKz.png Views:	1 Size:	243.0 KB ID:	123660

2. When your VESC shows up, click CONNECT. Note there may be more than one Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) device in the air.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7ayV-z9VG8YCSF5dwV4oaQ4MqKtA04iiOkSQ2vXvHgkVKqw1v0EgykG01KzZhN41HTERpSc1MgXa7BASGN4Xaq75viw3_-FNhMPUfrj89f97G1ElqXQDxCeAajwB6nTe2g_Az4eW.jpg Views:	1 Size:	164.8 KB ID:	123659
    3. Your BBSHD is now connected!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	O2R2am7ipzkC61CW7lCa19TkiQxF9J0dxsU0S5KpdgaqofKK-46MeAvIuSZ7pvpZ_4ri_pqgQwfcrjX6vo_qUSDPHwReBO7OMonHYchG5TtJxipRj9BIrUb3fsLlUNrPhwro7v4v.png Views:	1 Size:	373.1 KB ID:	123661
    4. In the RT DATA tab you can see live information coming from the controller
    VESC Tool is also available for Linux and Windows PCs here:

VESC Tool Downloads

The app will NOT run on IOS smartphones because Apple doesn’t allow open source licenses in their App Store.

Vesc Tool on Mac laptops is not officially supported, but someone provides unofficial Mac releases here:

https://github.com/rpasichnyk/vesc_tool/releases

We didn’t test these so use them at your own risk.

Tuning Pedal Assist settings

At the maximum assist level, throttle will always produce 100% power. However, the maximum amount of pedal assist power can be configured independently.

By default the Ludicrous V2 will provide 35% of the max phase current, but if you want to disable PAS you can set it to 0% and PAS will be disabled for all power levels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E_x3J2qW4GP66ggBEPfTOh3ByBnM3Zrrmbvbkl5c1vwF1groUrCwfsHyKwNawSQCUg1Ttk6yP_LjN17ITY26hCOrY_FexDoePCP4DlcG4Ub6J4lYm1kIqnEA4nhrzdW6B1cx5lpW.png Views:	196 Size:	159.8 KB ID:	124104

Using Profiles

Although for your safety the critical motor config is set as read-only, there is a way to modify some basic parameters of the Ludi V2 controller using Profiles.

Speed, motor current and power output can be tuned.

Typical applications:
    • If your battery can’t handle the power you can limit the power output
    • You can create a Street legal profile that limits the speed and output power to comply with regulations.

In the PROFILES tab, you can ADD PROFILE

Click image for larger version  Name:	MkNdxr11eUsbp2wlmw_7eRwiSfh9nYtluaz0aVfkocMz_7sC4tn37C6b2qs85ZU9sKeI2AP94EwCbjrtGCgSmmOyoEyTNUjnXaUJu_Sc_KGqiCVD9YmrdeVG-iPEVwWeTQwFQwe4.jpg Views:	192 Size:	182.9 KB ID:	124105

Firmware update

Here is a general tutorial about updating VESC firmware:

Uploading custom firmware files

Updating the Firmware

And a video tutorial as well:

FIRMWARE UPDATE - VESC-Tool Mobile Tutorial
    1. Get the latest BBHSD controller firmware from Luna Cycle. The file name is VESC_BBSHD_XX.bin
    Download it here:
    https://public.3.basecamp.com/p/RN8u...gF5CzFziBkcNEn

3 different firmwares are available for 3 different battery types:

52V Wolf:
    • 14s
    • 12Ah
    • 70A max battery current

52V Dire Wolf:
    • 14s
    • 21Ah
    • 105A max battery current

72V Power Wolf:
    • 20s
    • 9Ah
    • 60A max battery current

Luna will let you know when new firmwares are available
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IDIoDTRhQVymG5HJob42WZ9aqexLTYr50InB6dSmRvUILduHJRbnKZINPOzz0VHb0gFGQQhxvqBK9lpJvizHMIDMDUtptyaa4kCpcsgEZl95PW3jH8hhHYCbWrSVYyslksHI-Sqk.png Views:	0 Size:	165.2 KB ID:	123651
    1. From the app, go to FIRMWARE tab, scroll down to Custom File and tap on CHOOSE FILE
    Click image for larger version  Name:	tsWehMshAMxgrnQyZsDxB5uqp4m_lhT0f_D0-sQU1aVvThKf6aXu0_7p6pN6UqeU4pv2GPIyl1E2TQ1r8wB7s02u5Hd8Oo-7krqkH2Ns4ZL1HLQX3XSKkTaHRlES0TewrfoCpt74.png Views:	0 Size:	168.3 KB ID:	123653
    1. Start UPLOAD
    Click image for larger version  Name:	hfZO7HD-Mls47eq77UwALB1Rrnod8y4xn1ezjhKWCmvhqTtk9YhmfGFyci7bYRNYbZ1QSU1omnd1GnJkxGj6uIm3LDYdksjyHJaCugV_ZP4i4Kv0nxwPH1TnpkjELhNi0GLhNIDn.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.7 KB ID:	123654
    1. Read and accept the warning
    Click image for larger version  Name:	-j-6bSDErF_9bPcevYS18hB6VqtDb5EL-PnNqZm48fhOJtOMr95SRQ4EJE-vCm0vJFXKkCIFymZj-yH7R1AZ2KXcP9auk45Ccrequ7QArQDm6JiVOwUR-tpz7xSaLtaYdovQlqJK.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.3 KB ID:	123655
    1. Wait some minutes until upload finishes
    Make sure the phone is close to the controller and don’t shut down the bbshd while firmware is being updated.

We will let our users know when we develop new features or improvements to the firmware. We plan to email the latest .bin files so users can update the controller.

Some reasons for updating the firmware may include:
    • Bug fixes
    • New features
    • Tuning optimization
    • Power increases
    • Changes requested by the users

Data logging

With a VESC controller you can save realtime data logs on your Android phone, and study the logs on your computer.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	14enoG7M_dZ-Pc36Ztj7XaHPrOBY6pVNeBoo10vsC0l16mLWVrSt90S7Ow0juCO8ViVlAzzjAO2jPjDTGOov-WpTLxNgOx3nnhreFi5jB6i4eE2-aENP-XvufdQlir-16yrDxkto.png Views:	0 Size:	175.1 KB ID:	123656
    1.In the DEVELOPER tab, choose a log directory to store the .CSV files, and enable RealTime Data Logging
    2. After logging, send the CSV files to your PC.
    Click image for larger versionName:	lkQTobV7kbj1g4atdtzJBLdawOryQeR_PFUNiFenfxKcyX1TNpJNUPA0tSO6jsmw0WRkRMSFCBZZKEggnvnf8tuNgX4oNEy3taec5fMjmf4K9HSxm7kcYRlvH3U_SqyFA-ipeote.pngViews:	0Size:	360.1 KBID:	123657
    3. From VESC Tool, Go to Data Analysis -> Log Analysis.
    4. Open CSV
    5. Browse the csv
    6. Configure your variables to display.

Here you can find a video with a walk through this Log Analysis feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dm12zB78Ic
    FAQ
    What is the little white wire coming out of the controller?
    That is the antenna for bluetooth.

What is the micro USB port for inside the controller?
    That is for a PC connection.

I just got it and want more power?
    Please note that the levels usually used for pedal assist control throttle response by default, unlike stock BBSHD. If you want more power, select a higher level.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by marcos; 1 day ago. Reason: Add download link for the last stable firmware

In the Power Settings heading you mention that in Power setting 0 the throttle and PAS are disabled.

Does this mean than I can’t use throttle only?

For reference, my Ludi V1 controller can be set for throttle only in PAS 0.

As you are probably aware, this is one of the primary benefits of the Luna line of Bafang HD mods, particularly on a single track switchback when you don’t want full throttle if you pedal but still want all power on tap through the throttle.

Best,
    Steve

Comment

You can use throttle only in any pas setting besides 0, just put the pas number on whatever throttle power you want it to have. This is way more power than standard or even V1 so it needs to be adjustable. Pretty decent chance if you blipped the throttle on singletrack while having access to the full power you could flip the bike over.

Comment

Thanks for the info... as a follow up ....if I disconnect the PAS sensor, would this allow me to operate the bike in throttle mode (power levels adjusted via the PAS 1-9) while eliminating the pedal assist?

What do you think about this approach to throttle only operation?

To clarify...I totally understand the level of power we are working with and respect it’s potential.......my concern is with ability to finely meter the power via a throttle vs the less discrete power delivery (harsh) via the PAS (harsh initial throttle in high PAS modes assumed based upon other controllers/configurations I have used).

Just want to get some of my questions out of the way before I rig the unit.

Thanks again! ......... the Luna Team is Awesome!!!

Steve
        Last edited by StvMan; 03-11-2021, 05:53 PM.

Comment

At the maximum power level, throttle will always produce 100% power.
          However, the maximum amount of pedal assist power can be configured independently from the android app.

By default the Ludicrous V2 PAS will provide 25% of the max phase current (150 phase Amps), but if you want to disable PAS you can set it to 0% and PAS will be disabled for all levels. Or if the default 25% is too much for you, you could go for 15% for example. I'm pretty lightweight so I use it at 8%.

This bit of info has not made it to this documentation thread yet, but will be included soon with screenshots.

Comment

• Jasdidit
            Jasdidit commented
            Editing a comment
            I look forward to making this change to my V2. Do you mean by default PAS is set to use 25% of 150 amps in level 9? I would also like to change the percentages in certain levels, for instance, make levels 1 and 2 super low, 3, 4, and 5 medium, and 6, 7, and 8 high, and 9 maximum. Would I have to make those changes with a desktop to USB connection, or with a mobile BT connection?

Perfect!....Thank you......Steve

Comment

Great information here. I just completed install and have loaded all of my info on the VESC app per your instructions. Thanks a lot for answering all of my questions and making this very easy. Cheers.

Comment

One thing I forgot, is that I am unable to change my eggrider display settings. I just wanted to change from the 3 assist levels (1,5,9), to the 9 assist levels to better tweak my power levels. Every time I try to write, the bafang error sign in red at bottom of eggrider app shows up and the eggrider display numbers turn to --. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Jasdidit
                Jasdidit commented
                Editing a comment
                First, are you using the Eggrider app to make the PAS changes? I have had this happen to me on my EggRider when it decides to spontaneously disconnect itself from Bluetooth. Or maybe it's my phone. Either way, I connect, then make the PAS Level change in Display settings, hit Write, and it is saved. I have not been able to make any reads or writes to the controller though, and that is to be expected. The PAS levels are a change to the display only though, so that is doable.
                Last edited by Jasdidit; 03-16-2021, 04:06 PM.

• BUD WHITE
                BUD WHITE commented
                Editing a comment
                was able to set the power levels to the 9 option on the Eggrider display. Thanks again Jasdidit.

• BUD WHITE
                BUD WHITE commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Marcos for the information.
                Thank you Jasdidit.

Also, should I disconnect my gear sensor, or does the V2 just override it?

Comment

• StvMan
                StvMan commented
                Editing a comment
                I don’t believe there is a gear sensor connector on the current V2..... mine doesn’t....Steve

• BUD WHITE
                BUD WHITE commented
                Editing a comment
                The gear sensor was never disconnected during uninstall of V1 controller and install of V2 controller. It is separate from controller install.

Okay, so my V2 powered fat bike with a 52 volt 27ah Sony VTC6 cell with 70 amp continuous works perfectly on my stand with PAS and throttle both in offroad and road mode on the eggrider display. However, once I sit on it and try to ride, the motor bogs down and doesn't even want to move when I hit the throttle. When I pedal it, there is no electrical power. I am stumped at the moment.

Comment

• BUD WHITE
                BUD WHITE commented
                Editing a comment
                UPDATE:
                I changed from 42 tooth chainring to 30 tooth with 13 tooth rear(nice straight chain line) and my PAS works perfectly in all 3 profiles, but if I hit the throttle from start or change to any other gear the motor shaft wants to break...
                so my special sauce settings for my 70 lb. fat bike with 52 volt 27ah sony vtc6 70 amp continuous are as follows:
                100% PAS current in all profiles
                .30 s start and 1.20 s stop for PAS
                .30 s start and 1.20 s stop for throttle
                side note:
                once I was going over 20 mph, I could hit the throttle in all profiles with no problem
                top speed on GPS:
                profile 1 (1500 watts) 32 mph
                profile 2 (2500 watts) 35 mph
                profile 3 (4500 watts) 38 mph...then the battery sagged dramatically after pinning throttle for 1/8 mile
                what I would say...is that I definitely need a 21700 molicel 200 amp continuous 20 plus ah 72 volt battery, so that I can really push this controller( I like future proof overkill)
                so my suspicions that the big fat bike tires, 300lbs.(bike and me), and 42 tooth chainring were preventing this beast from a smooth take off, and I believe I solved the problem
                Cheers.

• Bobster
                Bobster commented
                Editing a comment
                where did you buy your battery from?

• BUD WHITE
                BUD WHITE commented
                Editing a comment
                I bought the battery from Litespeed batteries out in New Jersey.

Marcos, Gary, Kyle, and the rest of the Luna Team......the Ludi V2 controller is awesome!!! ....

I just finished pairing it up with my BBSHD and setting the PAS back to 0% using the VESC tool for my first test ride.

I started at level 1 and progressed through level 6 (holding off on 7-9 for now). The power delivery is impressive, with a clear sense of the field weakening effect as I got further into the throttle (at least that’s what I assume I am feeling...it definitely has more power range than the V1....and that’s saying a lot.).

These test runs were on my flat neighborhood streets...I am looking forward to getting out on the single-track trails to see how the torque feels underfoot.

Still exploring the VESC tool to see what limits I can tweak to add a bit more protection until I am more familiar the V2’s huge power potential (hopefully there is the ability to set Limit Amps, soft start/ramp curves, etc).

Anyways....awesome controller guys!!! .....Thank you, Steve

Comment

Now I'm keen to see you trying level 9!

Levels also affect the amount of pseudo-field weakening so level 9 will have a bit more end speed than level 6.

For now all motor configs are locked, but you can set ramping curves in 2 ways (this is generic VESC stuff):
                * From APP->ADC (this is the throttle) -> General -> Positive ramping time. This will make the throttle response smoother and slower. Don't go below 0.3s, the time I tried a lower value I destroyed the nylon gear in less than 3 seconds, had to upgrade to a peek gear.
                * APP -> PAS->Positive/Negative ramping times do the same for PAS.

You can also change the throttle mapping from APP->ADC->Throttle Curve. For this I recommend using the PC version of VESC tool, only because you see a nice x,y plot showing the curve shape which is not shown in the android app.

Last edited by marcos; 03-18-2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• BUD WHITE
                  BUD WHITE commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent info again Marcos. Thanks.

Level 9 will be this weekend!!!......thanks for the tips on the PC tool for VESC.

As to that, I am still having trouble connecting my PC (Surface Tablet) to the BLE. The BLE app that I tried made some progress but ultimately didn’t work. I will try a conventional, full laptop PC to see if it will connect. No problems with my android though.

Comment

Still having issues connecting VESC tool through PC. Android no problem. I have tried my new MS Surface PC tablet w/ keyboard as well as my 4-5 yr old HP PC laptop Win 10.

is there anything special here?...It’s not populating my VESC on scan from the tool.
                  Last edited by StvMan; 03-20-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

If the built-in windows bluetooth driver is not working, you can relay your android connection over wifi to the desktop

Its something like this:
                    BBSHD -> Bluetooth -> Android phone -> Wifi -> VESC Tool for Windows

On VESC Tool for android connect over BT to the v2 and under development tab, enable "Run TCP Server".
                    On VESC Tool windows, in the Connection->TCP tab type your phone IP address and click connect.

Its a workaround while I poke VESC developers about windows bluetooth support.

Comment

Working...
                    X