X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• palumbop
    replied
    Thank you Patrick. This might be it! It really bothered me that both the motor and the pedals wouldn't drive the chain. That could never be the case unless as you say the chain had slipped off the front cog. Makes total sense to me now. I will definitely look for this if it happens again.

Thanks a lot!

Leave a comment:

• pmstirling
    replied
    At the risk of stating the obvious, here goes ...
    I had the same thing happen: neither the pedals nor the throttle would spin the rear wheel - pedals just rotated uselessly, and the throttle activated the motor but again no drive to the rear wheel. I assumed it was the clutch and took the motor apart as described here. However the clutch assembly was fine, working as intended. I reassembled everything, reinstalled the motor, and everything worked normally.
    Then not long after the same problem happened again. This time I examined the drive train much more carefully, and, d'oh! The chain had slipped off the front crank cog and had fallen between the cog and the plastic guard on the cog. Amazingly invisible, I didn't see it until I looked pretty closely. Simple fix, obviously!
    The drive trains from pedals to chain, and from motor to chain, are completely separate. The clutch is only for the pedals, to allow freewheel if the motor is moving faster than the pedals. So there would have to be two independent points of failure for neither pedals nor motor to drive the cog and chain.
    I I believe there is no clutch arrangement for the motor, so if you pedal faster than the motor, you will force the motor to rotate faster. This is why there's quite a bit of resistance if you ride with the motor off or on assist level 0.

hope this helps!
    patrick

Leave a comment:

• palumbop
    replied
    I just experienced the same problem that you mentioned RandallR. I'm afraid to go to far from home because I don't know what's going on. Seems to be fine now but will probably fail when I'm miles from home. Anyone know what's going on here? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• RandallR
    replied
    In my case, this has happened twice then worked again after a time. The pedals spin but do not drive the chain or back wheel. But when I try the throttle the same thing - spins the motor but not the chain. Do you think it is still the clutch? Twice this has happened in the back country and after coasting down a rough hillside, it worked normally again - something loose? Clutch? Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• pmstirling
    replied
    Thanks for this excellent tutorial! I found one on youtube to replace the clutch & gear, but discovered that it's for the BBS02A and I have the BBS02B. After websurfing I found you guys and this tutorial. With an icepick and patience I got the rubber washer out, yay! Looks like I might be able to do this repair myself - I have the exact symptoms of a failed clutch. Hopefully the gear is ok. However I've had the motor less than 2 years, this seems short for the clutch to fail. Is this a known issue, or am I beating on the motor too much? I try to be in a low gear when using the throttle uphill and usually have the assist level only at 1 or 2.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. I finally got mine out with the same thing, sharp pointed scribe.

• Sebz
    commented on 's reply
    IT's just pressed in, I came across one that was harder to remove, I used 2 little picks (like a dentist would use I guess) and used up all my patience!

• Rider
    replied
    Please add more detail on how to remove the crank seal. Mine has aluminum around the outside. Is it threaded in or just a press fit? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    Looks like you ply it out with a ice pick or thin screw driver (first photo).

My BBS02B is making a clunking sound during each engaged rotation. I may be checking the clutch pawls soon to see if that is it. Mine sounds like a small piece on metal falling and hitting metal on each rotation.

ADDED: With that said and now having to do it, I'd like to know the trick to getting it out too...
    Last edited by Rider; 10-13-2018, 10:35 AM.

• jpc6000
    replied
    How do I Remove the rubber seal on the axle

Leave a comment:

• LI-ghtcycle
    replied
    Oops! I guess it was just really stubborn, it eventually came free, thanks for the great write-up!
    Last edited by LI-ghtcycle; 02-16-2018, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sebz
    commented on 's reply
    I didn't open the ver A, but it should be very very similar (besides the controller shape).

• squirrelpie0
    replied
    Is this the same for BBSO2 A or B?

Leave a comment:

• Sebz
    commented on 's reply
    Yes it should help, but normally the clutch should not make any sound when you pedal with the motor and the clutch is engaged.

So it might be the secondary gear that needs a little grease!

• Woody
    replied
    Thank you for this excellent tutorial Seb. At 2500 miles my clutch clunk seems to be a bit louder than it was when new and I was hoping to be able to replace it myself when needed. It appears that the procedure for the BBS02 is much more complicated than the BBSHD clutch replacement. Was wondering if it was possible to just grease it without the major disassembly and maybe it would quiet down some.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X