Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any shop that is rebuilding BBSXX motors? I would rather swap mine for another and send it out to be rebuilt. That's just the way I am. When my wife wanted breast enlargement surgery I sent her out too.

Comment

Hello guys,

How the hell I remove the needle bearings in the pics below?
      one of them is stuck and I want to remove it and clean it to see if I can save it while I wait for the spare replacement delivery,
      please let me know, I am stuck!

Comment

Originally posted by Valerio View Post
        Hello guys,

How the hell I remove the needle bearings in the pics below?
        one of them is stuck and I want to remove it and clean it to see if I can save it while I wait for the spare replacement delivery,
        please let me know, I am stuck!
        Leave it in there. Clean it out with solvent and air. Then work grease into it.

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

Leave it in there. Clean it out with solvent and air. Then work grease into it.
          Hi calfee20 thanks for the tip,
          which solvent would you use? I really have to remove the rust patina and make it work again cause its really stuck, thats why I wanted to remove it

Comment

Originally posted by Valerio View Post

Hi calfee20 thanks for the tip,
            which solvent would you use? I really have to remove the rust patina and make it work again cause its really stuck, thats why I wanted to remove it
            Carburetor cleaner or Brake cleaner then switch to a good rust penetrant like PB blaster. I don't know if you have that over there. Can you get a finger in there to see how the rollers feel without cutting yourself up? If it feels good it should last for a while but it could damage the shaft that rides in there so it is your call. I would use grease with a high moly content. I have some leftover VW CV joint grease from the 70's so something like that.

Comment

• Valerio
              Valerio commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks a lot calfee20 , I found some rust remover and working on it! Greetings from Singapore

I've removed bearing like that. Be sure you can get new bearings. I remove the guts from it so just the shell is left. Then using a Dremel tool or die grinder grind a slot along the inside of the shell to remove the press fit from the bearing. You don't have to grind all the way into the housing. Just break the last bit inwards with an angled punch. If you do scratch the housing it's OK just sand it smooth and the new bearing will bridge the gap. You can used fine threaded rod with nuts and washers and a couple sockets to press the new bearings in. You can try to fold it in with a punch so it's heart shaped, but if it's hardened you will need to grind it.
            Wear eye protection when chiseling or grinding.

Comment

Hey guys new here from Wyoming. I have a bbshd and it started making quite the grinding noise recently. It is rode a lot in the dirt and water. It grinds when under load either pedaling or under power. I took it all apart and the nylon gear looks fine. The one thing I noticed was the orange o ring off the motor shaft was tore up. I put a automotive o ring on it and regreased and cleaned everything. Put it back together and the grinding didn't go away. Anyone have any advice? Do I need a whole new motor?

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                You should hit throttle while it is opened up and see how the sound is affected after you remove each component; first the secondary, then pinion, then primary. Probably your secondary needs replacement, which is like a $25 part

Be careful how you lube the rollers inside the nylon gear. It's not a bearing ,it's a one way roller clutch. They prefer small amounts of thin grease so the rollers are free to engage and disengage, and no fancy low friction additives because it requires friction on the shaft to operate. If you pack it full of heavy moly grease it won't work properly.

Comment

• Retrorockit
                Retrorockit commented
                Editing a comment
                When the motor is applying power the shaft, rollers, and gear are all moving as one piece. The lube only comes into play when you are pedaling faster than the motor. With a BBSHD this will be almost never.

That is my plan. I have ordered some Mobil SHC and when it gets here I will open it back up and re grease all of it. When taking it apart though it makes almost zero noise without a load on it. Might be hard to mimick that.

Comment

So I got a tube of Mobile SHC and tore it all back apart. I ran it after I took the secondary out and it still sounds like the grinding is there (tough with no load on it or anyway to put a load on it) Looking at all the secondary gear and bearings everything feels really good. The start of this post when he takes it down makes me think mine is a motor core issue.

Comment

Running these unloaded on a bench test is always significantly louder than with a load. Not to mention if you had the motor open still, this would also increase noise.

Comment

What grease or oil is to be used on the bearings and other small parts (not the gears)?

Comment

• Retrorockit
                      Retrorockit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Because it's a clutch you don't want anything too slippery in there either, like Teflon or other friction reducers.
                      Safest bet is use the specified lube or an equivalent product.

• ee1337
                      ee1337 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So there is one clutch inside the nylon gear and another one, aka freewheel, inside the main gear (the one that is spring loaded with the 3 pawls). I can see that it's coated with a lighter oil from the factory but I don't know what it is. What should I use for these 2 clutches? Mineral oil?
                      Last edited by ee1337; 05-23-2022, 09:51 AM.

• paxtana
                      paxtana commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not really necessary to use different lube..
                      Here's a video I made five years ago showing my clutch positively slathered in the same mobil28 used elsewhere.
                      https://youtu.be/JYs-jgnOC8k
                      Five years later and that motor is still perfect, even though there is way more grease than needed.

Originally posted by ee1337 View Post
                    What grease or oil is to be used on the bearings and other small parts (not the gears)?
                    Fully synthetic EP Mobil 28 is the tried and true grease - "one grease for all points", and the why's are discussed here. Last time I looked Mobil 28 is hard to find and/or expensive. I've been using the slightly less expensive Mobil 1 synthetic grease, available lots of places.

Related to the nylon gear, there are no-no, don't use greases, such as black moly grease.

And, you'll find Youtube videos where IMHO they go grease overkill packing crazy.
                    Last edited by ncmired; 05-23-2022, 10:24 AM.
                    BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

I don't have the number handy but I could not find the mobil 28 in reasonable quantities (like less than gallons) when I needed some. What I did was looked up the data sheet on Mobil's site where among other things it listed a MIL SPEC number for the product. I searched that number and found a different brand that was available in a small tube near me, I think it was a Shell product.

The stuff I got was incredibly cheap because since the primary application is aircraft the stuff I got has gone past its 'best if used by' date which seems like a good thing to follow for aircraft but I don't think will be a problem for my bike. I think I paid like $1 for the tube plus shipping and its use by date was within months of when I bought it so I really don't think its age is an issue. Just throwing that out there for anyone that isn't finding any good sources for the Mobil stuff.

Comment

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ilGrease28.php

$16 shouldn't break the bank - I'm sure there are other sources, I didn't search, just went straight to these guys

Applying it I was generous without overdoing it

Comment

Working...
                        X