BBSHD pedals stop working/ clutch failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD pedals stop working/ clutch failure

if the drive works fine and the pedals spin freely more than likely you have blown a clutch in the BBSHD.

This is rare problem and caused with athletic rider applying tons of torque to the pedals and the clutch just breaks loose.

To repair this the drive needs to be disassembled and the clutch can be easily accessed and removed, and a new clutch put in its place.

Its a 30 minute job and the drive does not need to be removed from the bike.

see replacement part here

Eric, Thanks for categorizing me as "athletic" :-) I broke the clutch on BBS02 and am stumped as to how to disassemble. I watched you-tube videos, but it seems that the design of the primary shaft and how it is installed has changed in more recently build BBS02's. Mine has no visible locking ring to remove, All that I see is what looks like a pressed in seal..Before I destroy the seal by removing it, I want to make sure I can get replacements, and I would like to know what I will find once I remove the seal :-). Can you tell me where I can get the seals and perhaps a pictorial of the internals on the newer 02's?

Comment

A bbs02 is totally different from the BBSHD.... are you sure it is a bbs02 you have? The bbs02 does not have at all the same design and we have not heard of anyone having this problem ever on a bbs02....post this problem you are having on the regular forum trouble shooting section to get some help from our user base there.

Comment

I have both. One bike has the 02. the other bike has the HD. The 02 is the first one that I bought and it is smaller, lighter, has much smaller cooling fins, I will follow your advice.

Comment

Okay... I must be athletic ... :-) I also broke the clutch on my BBSHD at about 900 miles. Easy enough to change. I found that the one of the "dogs" had broken. Good news was that I got to it before the shrapnel caused any other damage... Cleaned it out, slipped a new clutch on and I'm out trying to break another one. :-) Ride on !!

Comment

I have smacked pedals on logs a few times, hard enough to really hammer that clutch. Keep that in mind as another possible damage scenario, aside from Superman legs. I'm a skinny light guy, so won't break them with muscles, but I still keep a spare clutch, for this reason. Stumps.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I've not smacked any logs, but I am a large guy, and I ride some steep hills. I'm ordering another clutch as a spare as well.

Comment

Thanks Eric That answers my question that I asked a couple of minutes ago, should have looked here first will use my gears more effectively than just brute force.

Comment

I've had this lovely motor 1 month and my clutch is slipping , not completely gone yet . I think its the clutch anyway .
                  I'm not too happy about having to take apart and service a 30 day old / 200 miles motor !!!!!!!!!!!!

So is it true in saying the BBSHD is not designed to be used on a bike if switched off !!. I had to ride home last night because of a flat battery , but I love getting out the saddle and climbing hills using PAS3 power
                  but now i'm finding out this might damage the steel gear and clutch ? .

TELL ME THIS ISN'T SO !

I assume the clutch is under warranty , (please don't point out its low cost) . If 1 goes every month that's $300 for the year. Anyway LUNA are out of stock , I had to go to california-ebike

Ive only had the mid drive system 1 month, and im thinking of going back to a rear hub.
                  Last edited by joebreeze; 06-09-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I've almost 10 thousand Ludricous miles on these clutches and a few thousand more on regular BBSHD. They are quite tough, in my experience. If something causes the pawls to stick in, though, they could crunch, similar to how a freehub can. You might have gotten a defective one, sure, but a good one should be good, I think.

Edit:. I remember another factor. I do set start current to 1% to reduce shock at engagement. So, consider that with above info. I'm sure it helps.
                    Last edited by JPLabs; 06-04-2019, 01:59 PM.
                    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks , i'm waiting until the part arrives to pop it open and look.
                      I came straight from riding a single speed for over 10 years on which I used to have to stand up to get moving , so I wouldn't be surprised if I applied a little too much torque .

I'd love to see what the settings are but I cannot access via PC , tried though. Are there any diagrams anywhere to show how my drives settings are set , the 3 pages. Luna settings (hotrod) from the factory , assuming Luna findle with it after it comes from China.

Comment

It was the steel gear !!. I should have known as it was slipping in certain points . The replacement clutch I bought has stronger springs so I put it in.

Comment

Wow! Was there grease in there? Pics?

Glad you diagnosed it.

Comment

Grease was scarce , forgot to take photo , will take one of old steel gear when my new steel gear arrives.

Unless the steel gear was a bad one, is that possible ? , i'm buying the new 'gear' from same place I got the clutch . (is it going to be the same manufacturer ?)

Did my gear teeth break because of no grease , or overtorque ?

Comment

Hard to say without seeing, but if worn off rather than broken off, lack of lube can cause fast wearout, and that would be my first suspicion.

Of coarse, replace both mating gears at same time. Grease well.

Comment

Working...
                              X