Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw online the rear motor is a freehub, is it possible to get it in a freewheel version? With electric bikes I find myself really only using one gear. It would be nice to be able to add a single speed freewheel to make a super lightweight ebike

Comment

Originally posted by Brendon1128 View Post
      I saw online the rear motor is a freehub, is it possible to get it in a freewheel version? With electric bikes I find myself really only using one gear. It would be nice to be able to add a single speed freewheel to make a super lightweight ebike
      Probably easiest to just put a single bmx cassette cog on it with enough spacers to have good chainline, and be done with it.

But can you actually convert it to a freewheel? I don't know, maybe. We haven't even had a chance yet to figure out how to put a shorter freehub body so the build wheel is not so dished
      Past that point you might need a machinist to mess with the axle, or at least a bike shop to figure out the hardware.

Comment

Will the PAS sensor fit only a square taper spindle? Do I just jam it on all the way? I'm worried about breaking the center ring since it's a lot smaller than the spindle.

Comment

Originally posted by Downbeat View Post
          Will the PAS sensor fit only a square taper spindle? Do I just jam it on all the way? I'm worried about breaking the center ring since it's a lot smaller than the spindle.
          I have a square taper BB. To get the PAS to fit comfortably without of cracking it I had to file down the inside face of the crank arm to get enough clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by tlange68154 View Post

I have a square taper BB. To get the PAS to fit comfortably without of cracking it I had to file down the inside face of the crank arm to get enough clearance.
            Does it jam onto the spindle without cracking?

Comment

This is my first experience with a rear-drive bike, although I've built up a mid-drive Bafang previously. I must not be understanding something fundamental regarding the parts kit with the Double Torque / Double Gear motor.

Anyone know what to do with the two cable cut-off switches? They look like derailleur cable switches which work only while the cable's moving. So they wouldn't work on brake cables (and wouldn't fit on the bigger brake cables anyway).

Also, what would be the point of shift cut-off switches on a rear drive bike when shifting? You must shift only when pedaling, and the drivetrain freewheels if the motor's turning faster.

Comment

Does it jam onto the spindle without cracking?
                It fits very tight but did slide on. I used a deep socket sized just over the spindle to push it on to avoid breaking it.

Comment

This is my first experience with a rear-drive bike, although I've built up a mid-drive Bafang previously. I must not be understanding something fundamental regarding the parts kit with the Double Torque / Double Gear motor.

Anyone know what to do with the two cable cut-off switches? They look like derailleur cable switches which work only while the cable's moving. So they wouldn't work on brake cables (and wouldn't fit on the bigger brake cables anyway).

Also, what would be the point of shift cut-off switches on a rear drive bike when shifting? You must shift only when pedaling, and the drivetrain freewheels if the motor's turning faster.
                  I received brake cut off switches, the type with the magnets. If you received gear interrupters you need to contact Luna to swap.

Comment

Has anyone tried this on a Catrike Expedition yet?
                    As I recall, I'm at 140mm an have an aluminum frame, but we have a metalworks shop nearby and maybe they can safely spread my dropouts for me.

Comment

Ive got all the connections put together, the battery has 57 volts, and nothing will turn on. There is one connection coming out of the controller that is different than all the others. It has a red yellow and green wire. There is nothing plugged into it. Is that the reason my kit is not turning on? Where should I start troubleshooting?

Justin

Comment

• crazywednesday
                        crazywednesday commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the suggestion, but the leads are not individual like that in this kit. They get bundled. All the connections are unique and almost impossible to screw up. Im wondering if the controller is bad. Im currently waiting on Lunacycle to get back with me on this one.

• paxtana
                        paxtana commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes but at some point you have to wire the battery. Last I checked the controller is not plug and play with any of our batteries, it's an adapter on the controller terminating with bare wires. Unless we started putting xt90 or anderson on the ends? You'll likely need to provide a pic of how you got the power wired up when support gets back to you, as this is the most likely source of problems

• crazywednesday
                        crazywednesday commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I figured it out while I was sleeping. You have to hold the on button down for a couple seconds, not just bump it.

Justin

I haven't read the whole thread, but I see you are talking about getting 43 NM"s of torque. MyBafang 750 watt geared motor is rated at 80 NM"s of torque, and I can tell you, it is nothing impressive.

Comment

• paxtana
                        paxtana commented
                        Editing a comment
                        43nm specs is at 36v, 350w, about 15a. The BBS02 testing was not done at this power level so it's not a fair comparison. If running same power level as BBS02 the torque is about the same.

I am to the point I need to install my PAS. The style of BB I have is Shimano BB70. Its the kind with a hole all the way through it. What PAS is compatible with that BB?

Justin
                      Last edited by crazywednesday; 03-26-2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Has any one had trouble with there double gear hub display gust shouting down ? I had no problem with it when I was setting it up on my wife's trike. Except for my Chihuahua eating the pas sensor. Which I am still waiting for the replacement.. She took it out for a maiden run with gust using the thumb throttle. It ran great form the first 20min then it started to turn off. It might stay on for two minutes or only 20 second. It dose not matter if the motor is plugged in or not. The thumb throttle is plugged in or not. I did get it to stay on long enough to run a self test and evey thing passed except for the pas senor whit is not connected. Please forgive me if this is not posted in the correct spot.

Comment

• paxtana
                          paxtana commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If you can just power the display back on it is probably the display itself. One guy had moisture issues in his, we replaced it but he opened up the original and let it air out over a fan, and original display worked fine after that. We can send you another display if you want just email us

• houman
                          houman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          How do you open up the display?

I would be surprised if it was moisture. It has not been wet or even in high humidity. Is their any thing in the display that could have come lose? I was unsure if I should open it up.

Comment

• paxtana
                          paxtana commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Moisture could hypothetically get in at the factory too, hard to say for sure.

Gary emailed me and they are going to send a new display out to me. I did open up the display and put it on a heat vent over night. It still act the same. Will the color display work off my BBSHD on the Double Gear hub motor ? So she can use her bike till the new display gets her.

Comment

• Eric Luna
                          Eric Luna commented
                          Editing a comment
                          no those two displays are not compatible.

• houman
                          houman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have the same issue with moisture in my display and the frequent power shutdowns. Support sent me the new 750C display as a replacement. I am not sure this display is compatible, as I am receiving a 30H communication error, no power watts reading, no temperature reading and the menu does not have the self-diagnostic feature. There is power going to the motor though.
                      Working...
                      X