X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kelly KBS Series Controllers

This is a tricky controller to wire....

Kelly does not make it much easier with their manual (see manual here)

But once you get through wiring this a tight little package.

We went through hell dialing this kbs 4812x controller in for our new cyclone motor kits...but once it was wired it was well worth it.

It has a tricky on/off switch which can make controller seem DOA

Also it needs to be programmed for optimal performance

Mike Moser has a lot of experience with the 72v version of this little baby and hopefully together we can put some useful information here.

Luna is currently stocking the 48v version of this controller (max 60v) and will have the 72v version in stock within weeks.

Luna has a version of this controller pre configured for cyclone here:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	kelly controoler.jpg Views:	1 Size:	106.7 KB ID:	33800

Hi guys . I have used this little power plant on many builds. I like its size because it fits in tight spaces . I will post the wire diagram that I've been using for the last 18 months . I just moved some pins around on the stock connector. The ON/OFF switch is a PIA sometimes but I will walk you thru it

Comment

The on off thing stumped us for a week...

Comment

It's best to read the manual thoroughly . It's very helpful and explains the PIN connector numbers

Comment

Here is the factory connectors. I don't use all the pins so I clipped them to save space. I always put heat shrink over the wires I clip and don't use
          Last edited by Ebike1; 04-26-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I run a 20awg siliconized wire from the thick B+ cable to the PWR space (top left) and I run a B+ loop to the on/off switch which connects #7 pin. Marked in red is the connector pins I moved. #1 is the temp sensor so I put it on the halls connecter . The other pins I don't use . You can keep your enrages. It's in the manual how the set them up.

Comment

You're all wired up now, 3 thick phase cables, 5 halls plus the center temp #1 . What's important for start up is you're on/off switch and throttle #3, #4, #20. Click this link for programming once your plugged in to do so http://kellycontroller.com/KBS-Ehelp.php

Comment

Follow instructions on screen 1 as it shows. Now on screen 2 , if you want instant throttle response I set "throttle up down" to 1 .

Comment

Next screen when you see smooth setting, I "disable" smooth. (This helps your throttle response)

Comment

On the previous screen (in this pic) you want to "enable" BOOST function. This delivers full power at full throttle. Follow the screen instructions. Cycle the controller by power off/on. Have fun and be careful on your test ride.

Comment

Ordered a 2kw Mini-Cyclone with the Kelly Controller option; got the suggested programming cables and downloaded the programming app. Everything worked as advertised but the controller came programmed at a power level of 100% which would probably fry the motor in fairly short order (120 amps). I reset the maximum at 30% and it seems to be OK. Might play with some of the other settings eventually but for now will leave them as-is.

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm building a six-wheel-drive vehicle using e-bike hubs and six Kelly KBS48101X controllers. It's my first time doing something like this so I was a little shocked when I read on your website that the KBS series are not recommended for the novice. So that I don't mess thigns up, would you be able to give me a little advice please?

First of all, so that I don't fall into the same trap. Could you please explain the "on off thing"?
                    Originally posted by Eric Luna View Post
                    The on off thing stumped us for a week...
                    Secondly, the wiring diagram in the Kelly manual shows a contactor. I'd prefer not to use a contactor if possible. I've modified the wiring diagram and would like some input from somebody who knows what they're doing please.

Thanks in advance,

Glyn

Comment

Also, if you're interested in the project, you can find more info here:
                      11 year old Ada, who last year was crowned “Junior Adventurer of the Year”, was diagnosed with M.E. (myalgic encephalomyelitis) and became bound to a wheelchair almost overnight. All of a sudden she’s struggling to get out of bed in … Continue reading →

Comment

Originally posted by mountainwheelchair View Post
                      Also, if you're interested in the project, you can find more info here:
                      That's the best build plan I've seen in my life. I don't mean the design, I mean the purpose. Beautiful.

This is a Sticky topic so perhaps not the best place for folks to see it and help, in general. You may want to start a separate thread to show your build, and ask the normal but sometimes extensive list of questions.

in any case, I wanted to comment here that other members should definitely read the story link and offer any advice they can.

​​​​I expect you can do this, with some help, and truly hope you succeed.
                      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Can you show pictures of what you actually did please ? Would make this 100% easier to make sence of it all. I may have fried my controller just now messing with the configurations for a hub motor and this controller. not your exact post topic since not middrive but still.
                      thanx

Comment

Working...
                    X