Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, i currently have bbso2 on a cross country bike for commuting. I have about a 15k one way to commute everyday. There a lot of hills on this commute even running the motor on full throttle most of the way it has never over heated even in summer . I have a 52V 13.5ah battery. So far I am quite satisfied with the build. I would like to do a second build but with a hub motor to feel the difference vs a mid drive. I am interested in this mac motor. I would build it into a 26 inch wheel. I would choose a 6T. I wanted to know if this configuration would yeild less torque and less hill climbing ability than my current set up or is the 6T still more powerful than the bbs02 in a 26 inch wheel. Thanks!

Comment

Hi it is more powerful than bbs02 but with a 6t on a 26" that power is going to translate to higher top speed not higher torque.

Comment

Does it have Pas? Looking to combine it with a bbshd (dual motor) if it has the bbshd supporting it could you go for a 6T on a 700c or 650b rim? Would it be able to spin fast enough to keep up with the bbshd / vice versa? Planning on using it as an overdrive, just to squeeze a little more power beyond the bbshd. Would run x2 Jumbo 52v sharks one for each motor

Comment

No pas, yes if you use a bbshd for low end torque might be okay with 6t on larger rim, no promises though.

It does have overheat cutoff so if it's struggling too much for that wheelsize it's not going to burn out the motor but it would turn it off until it cools down.

Comment

I have a recumbent trike, so obviously I need a rear wheel motor ... however the rear is 26", which means the better choice is the 12T, rather than the 6T, but you don’t sell a rear 12T ... and actually I’m thinking a 10T might be preferable because it will yield a little higher top speed, yet still produce sufficient torque ... so my question is, if I manage to find a 10T somewhere, will the BAC 800 controller be compatible, or do you program them differently and supply the appropriate one depending on which of the two versions your customers buy?

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              Good question.

I think the answer is yes but I can't guarantee it. Who knows if some random Mac model uses different pole positions or other stuff that might vary.

In case anyone is interested in creating your own controller to use with this MAC motor, I was able to get more detailed motor parameters from the manufacturer. This allows for sensorless field oriented control.

Phase Resistance: 6T = 0.041 ohms, 12T = 0.2605 ohms
            Phase Inductance: 6T = 100 - 140nH

Comment

i have always wanted to build a semi fat tire (26" x 2.5 to 3.25) 2wd for use on the beach (im a surfcaster) and some playing in the woods
              im wondering if can i buy these components and have them taylored for my application?
              Im a good welder and decent mechanic but i have little experience with controllers and throttles....

Comment

Originally posted by riggler View Post
                i have always wanted to build a semi fat tire (26" x 2.5 to 3.25) 2wd for use on the beach (im a surfcaster) and some playing in the woods
                im wondering if can i buy these components and have them taylored for my application?
                Im a good welder and decent mechanic but i have little experience with controllers and throttles....
                If you get the 12T option that's basically the highest torque you can get from a geared hubmotor, it would be a good choice for a 26" fatbike used in the sand.

Comment

• Max-Ebike
                  Max-Ebike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  any update on Luna offering the motor on a Fat Bike Rim? I would like to order one. Can i get a custom price?

• paxtana
                  paxtana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry we can only offer what's on the site at any given time. We do have it as bare motor which can be laced into any rim by a local bike shop.

Can you run this motor with a 24 inch wheel, rear mounting, using a 60V battery?

Comment

• paxtana
                  paxtana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can use 60v. You would want 6t with 24"

Originally posted by flodrab View Post
                I have a recumbent trike, so obviously I need a rear wheel motor ... however the rear is 26", which means the better choice is the 12T, rather than the 6T, but you don’t sell a rear 12T ... and actually I’m thinking a 10T might be preferable because it will yield a little higher top speed, yet still produce sufficient torque ... so my question is, if I manage to find a 10T somewhere, will the BAC 800 controller be compatible, or do you program them differently and supply the appropriate one depending on which of the two versions your customers buy?
                A Phase Runner controller from Grin Technologies will work with a Mac 10T motor just fine. I have a 10T Mac in the back of my Hp Velotecnik FS 26 Scorpion Recumbent Trike. I also have torque assist in my bottom bracket.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by ComicDom1 View Post

A Phase Runner controller from Grin Technologies will work with a Mac 10T ...

Jason
                  thanks, but that doesn’t really answer the question ... I’m aware of the Phase Runner, and am asking specifically about the combination of their BAC 800 with a MAC that I get somewhere else

Comment

Which wind of the MAC motor has the most copper mass (6T, 8T, 10T, 12T)?

I have a 12T now and it works great off road. I am gathering info so I can choose the best option for a new build that is going to be used only on paved surfaces.

Thank You

Comment

• paxtana
                      paxtana commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think it's same overall mass, but I could be wrong though.

Thanks Paxtana....I finally got a response from MAC and they said the weight of all the motors is the same, therefore the amount of copper is the same. There may be a tiny difference but for all practical purposes the copper fill is the same.

Anyone can use the Grin Tech motor simulator to compare motors...it is a very useful tool if anyone wants to know about a motors performance.

Thanks again.

Comment

I have 20" paratrooper copy in titanium. Made by Carver here in Maine. I ride at 20-25mph using a 50cc Honda rear friction drive and a Rohloff 500-14 hub. I find myself switching through all the gears, 14th allows pedaling comfortably.
                      There are certainly many hills/mountains in Maine that I avoid. Too steep for the Honda and my legs.
                      I day dream about starting up a steep hill with the Honda only and adding the power of a front hub conversion kit as I climb. My thought has been using the Mac motor 6t for speed as well as torque with the 20" tires.
                      I understand the geared front hub motors immediately enter freewheel when power stops. As well they eliminate cogging should the gas engine push the electric.
                      Any thoughts on hybrid gas/electric out there?

Dale

Comment

• paxtana
                        paxtana commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Seems like a lot of added weight to have dual kits of any kind.. In answer to your question yes a geared hubmotor will freewheel but that doesn't mean it won't have rolling resistance due to added rotating mass.

I just ordered this motor to build my own wheel. can anyone who has the tools for this measure the center to center flange spacing between the left and right sides, and also the flange diameter? I cant see that this is listed on the diagram anywhere

Comment

Working...
                      X