Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could people share some pics of brake sensor cable installations

Hey everyone,
    Could people post pics of their setups for using the brake sensor cables on existing hydro brakes?
    I've got some SRAM DB5 brakes and can't get the sensor/washer into a location that works - there is just not enough movement in the lever.
    Thanks,

I could not get the brake sensors to work to end up purchasing the hydro brakes with the sensor already build in. Wen I was using the magnets I installed them in a machine screw and the machine screw held with a zip tie the machine screw gives you a long support point that you can use with zip ties but it is not perfect so I gave up

Comment

Here's mine, Tectro Drako, should work with most any setup. You can use a different magnet than the one from the kit if desired, any rare-earth type:

http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...ic-brake-lever
      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Here's my hack for Shimano XT BL-M775, so far I've only done the front (left brake). The M775 brake uses 2 small screws to hold on a small plastic plate. These screws provide a decent place to mount a custom bracket. If you're able to make the mounting holes in the bracket slotted (I used a Whitney punch & hand files), it provides for some fine adjustment. I used a sheet metal hand seamer with a hammer & vise to create the slight stepped offset to bring the sensor up to the plane of the lever.

Comment

Goes with my above post

Comment

You do realize Luna sells a wired brake kit to fix this problem. I can understand wanting to save money, however when an elegant solution exists it is hard not to go with it. http://lunacycle.com/parts/bicycle-p...shd-and-bbs02/

Comment

I ended up using some SRAM guide brakes and gluing the magnet to the throw adjustment screw. Worked great. I wanted 4-pot brakes so the tektro or Luna Shimano ones were no good to me.

Comment

• calfee20
                calfee20 commented
                Editing a comment
                How good are those brakes?

calfee20: they are really nice and really reliable - unlike previous SRAM/Avid 4 piston models like the XO Tapers.
              I've put a couple thousand miles on mine since I set them up, and have not even needed to bleed.
              I'm using 200 and 180 mm Centerline discs; so I'm nailing them with everything I can.
              They are very good for panic stops as well as everyday riding.
              Very predictable and sure.
              Been up and down so many hills out here in Seattle that at first I was pretty concerned about reliability.
              So my story is: buy the complete setup, (the discs too), and you will be a happy camper my friend.

The levers are designed a bit different than most others; so mounting the magnets to the reach adjustment knob and zip tying the sensors to brake master cylinders is only practical way I come up with for them.
              Somewhere on this site I put pictures up describing how to do it; I screwed mine into the knobs; but superglue is probably a lot easier.

Comment

They work good when they work but i'm not a fan of SRAM guide brakes as they are too temperamental. I've still got a pair I need to bleed regularly to stop them from locking on. Even the ones on the e-bike don't like sitting in the sun. The levers get sticky and stop returning.
                I've got some Shimano zee brakes I'll be putting on soon

Comment

• FatMarty
                  FatMarty commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It sounds like you got the wrong fluid or something - how much sun heat are we talking here?
                  I've not experienced any of those symptoms - it sounds to me like your brake fluid is expanding from the heat.
                  Most people need to bleed because brakes are not engaging fully - you are reporting the opposite.
              Working...
              X