Looking for 24" rims 4" tires, 135mm hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for 24" rims 4" tires, 135mm hubs

Can someone please point me to a vendor for 24"x4 built - ready to install - rims/tire packages. I want to put them on my KHS 500. Thx, Bob

I bought my step-thru build's wheels from Universal Cycles, using their online wheel builder tool. There's also https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/. You can then get picky with the components, at a cost of course.

But, I don't know offhand who makes a 45-60mm wide, 24" diameter rim to accommodate a 4" tire. What tire vendor/model do you have in mind, if any?

I rummaged around a little at the pre-built wheel vendor sites like Stans, but couldn't find a fit.

BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

I’ve been trying to gather parts to built a 24x4 rim & tire with a 15x150 hub, it’s tuff.

HED big bad rims is the only one I can find in the US that offers a 24 x 80mm rim, a 32 spoke. Origin8 and a few others offer a 135mm hub in either 32 or 36 spoke. All of the other 24” rims I’ve found only come in 36 spoke.
      Locate the rim first, as that will dictate the hub choice. There are a few tire manufactures offering 24x4 tires. Specialized is having a close out so I picked one up.

Ebike/CA (Canada) offers a Weinmann dhl65 24” x 65mm rim. They have a few narrower widths. Available in either 32 or 36 spokes. The rims are around $55.00 each, but shipping to the U.S. is around $55.00. They also offer 20” rims in multiple widths. From what I can find no Weinmann dealer in the U.S. carries those sizes.
      You may need to order the parts yourself and have your bike shop built the wheel.

I ordered a 36 spoke 24”x80 rim and 15x150mm hub from two different bikes shops thru Aliexpress. Turning out to be the worst experience I’ve had. Both were ordered a month ago. The rim showed up after two weeks but turns out to be the wrong size. No reply from the seller, and Aliexpress says no problem, ship it back at your expense. I paid $67.00 for the rim & shipping, and would cost $73.00 for return postage. I did a credit card dispute. The hub which was mailed at the same time shows as still floating around in China. I have to wait until the end of April to file a dispute, since shipping can take up to 47 days. A complete wast of time.

Comment

I saw that HED rim via the Universal Cycles wheel builder (24" x 32 Hole (Black)), but figured it was too wide for a 4" tire. I've yet to see a tire width to rim calculator/formula - just what I read via the vendors (which varies).

So, I ran the wheel builder for a front wheel, with the HED rim, a Hope hub, and DT spokes, which gave a price pain point of $375. The rim alone is $173 - yikes!
        Last edited by ncmired; 03-31-2020, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I’m using the Specialized Ground Control 20x4 tires on a 20x100mm Weinmann rim with no issues. The tire width measurs 4.250” on the rim.
          The HED rim price is why I looked at Aliexpress. I ordered a 24x80mm rim at a cost of $67.00 including shipping. But after my experience, I have no faith in them sending what I ordered. Since there doesn’t seem to be any recoarse thru Aliexpress, other than send it back at your own expense. There is no motivation from the seller to send the correct part. Just my .02

Comment

I 've made a lot of small QTY eBay direct from China vendor purchases for bike components, and for steel and titanium fasteners - not once an issue so far. There were noticeable shipping slowdowns in February, when the virus was first flaring over there.

I'm too skeered of Aliexpress.

Comment

This is going to be a bit more complicated than I expected. I was hoping for off-the-shelf options rather than a custom build. Bakcou sells an 18" step through bike with a 24" option so I figured they we're readily available. The Bakcou has much wider hubs.

Comment

There a couple of bike companies that sell 24” fat bikes, but non of them offer the wheels seperately.
                I haven’t seen a ebay chinese bike seller that offers 24” fat bike rims.
                Who gets it.

Comment

I've been poking around in the BMX shop websites, but you've probably already done it.

Comment

Why 24", if I may pry - want a low rider? What about pedal strikes?

Comment

Not sure why you would need a 24” tire with a step thru. Your only getting a 1” drop.
                      Another option is a shorter fork for the KHS500.
                      I’ve looked everywhere for 24” fat rims. BMX, unicycles, etc. Looks like Surly use to make one, then discountinue it.

Comment

Want it because of some hip issues that make that tall of a bike difficult to mount or get a foot down on rougher trails. I was looking at 24 specifically because Bakcou has that as an option on their step through, but really it isn't quite as low as what you usually see when somone lables a bike a "step through." I think the stand over is 2" lower.

My current bike is not a step through and I know an inch isn't a lot but it's something and as compared to buying a step through - relatively cheap experiment.

I think putting the luna suspension fork on my KHS 500 made it taller and longer but I just couldn't take the rough ride without it.

Comment

Ah, ok, the hip issue makes a lot of sense, and I can imagine standover reduction could help a lot. How about a different tact - a bike frame like the RadRunner 1:
                          Click image for larger versionName:	RadRunner_Black_Right_Side_View_Web.jpg?v=1580255933.jpgViews:	0Size:	197.3 KBID:	103739

I know its got 20" wheels (20" x 3.3" stock, maybe clears wider), would they still work? Add a suspension seatpost and maybe stem. There also might be suitable accessory mounts for hunting gear.

Hummm, on the tires, Rad lists these tire sizes as compatible: (sorry for the broken links - at least it takes you to a hero of mine, Ron Swanson)
                          Last edited by ncmired; 04-01-2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Been looking at those but gotta have a mid drive for the mountains of Nelson County, VA.

Comment

I built a trike last year using a Torker Tristar frame, which is a step thru. It has a 135 spacing with horizontal dropouts. I added a bbsh middrive. I wonder if that could be built up as a bike.
                              I picked up a Gravity frame I’m modifying into a trike and have thinking about cutting the top tube and converting it to a step thru. May be worth talking to a local bike fabricator about modifying your frame, or building a step thru frame.

Comment

Working...
                              X