Older rider in transition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older rider in transition

Moved from small displacement dual-sport motorcycle to an E-bike. Right now have Bafang geared hub motor presented as 500/750 watts with 25 amp controller and a 10+ amp. battery. Hope to upgrade battery (amperage). Stock battery 'nests' in down-tube both of which appear as proprietary as aluminium tube is a very unique extrusion and top mounted battery connection appears to be high current XLR connector. Likely will stay oem for the sake of simplicity and try for 17 amps. My controller is very small and mounted "inside" the bottom of the extruded down tube. Am not interested in more speed, additional torque would be nice as i hope to keep exploring dirt logging roads in the mountains. What would a new higher amp controller net me aside from expense and labor mounting and figuring out the wiring? Your insights will be much appreciated. take care.

I'm also a distinguished gentleman building an e-bike as a more practical and fun replacement for the old Ninja 250. I used to commute on the highway with it, 20+ miles each way, year round, but now I've moved to within 2 mi. of the office, and it didn't even get a chance to warm up. Sold it off a few years ago.
    But a mile from here there are 15 singletrack trails, and another mile away I can get to a bike trail that runs from DC all the way to Leesburg, VA. And connects via $2 ferry to the Maryland side and the C&O canal. An ebike seems like it will be great for commuting, and also for the adrenaline rush I used to get from motorcycles.
    As to your question, the Bafang geared hubs can be run at over 1000w before nylon gear cohesion becomes questionable, but you'll need both a controller that will draw the necessary current, and a battery with a high enough continuous amperage rating to supply it. So the fist thing to know is the CA of your battery BMS.

Comment

Appreciate the reply. Looked at spec for BMS and all i saw is 25 amps. Should that suffice? Thanks & take care.

Comment

So for that battery you'll be limited to a motor controller that draws 25 amps continuous or less. I still have a lot of reading to do on hub motors, but I know that with a 30 amp controller the 500w model can be run at 1500w, so 25 amps should get you somewhere.

Comment

Working...
        X