Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitting an e-bike with "nitrous oxide" for short bursts of speed - Booster motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting an e-bike with "nitrous oxide" for short bursts of speed - Booster motor

I just got this idea of adding a second motor even if its brushed like a starter motor and having a "mad max" boost button.

My latest build is not done yet but the bike I got now runs about 28MPH you can play and push to 30 maybe more if the wind god like you that day.

Trying to think how to engineering it, but it would be great to have the option to hit boost even if it didn't last long when in traffic to have 30 seconds of boost get into the 40s so I could get into the left lane and make that left turn without the cars in the 35 MPH zone being faster then me. And have to stop and wait for a gap.

Would actually need less the 30 seconds.

Last edited by Rotary_spark_gap; 07-16-2020, 03:05 PM.

I am thinking an outbourd motor starter motor , A good starter will normally draw 60 to 150 amps with no load on it, and up to 250 amps under load (while cranking the engine).

Look at this https://www.lithiumpros.com/product/...acing-battery/ 1,100 cranking amps. Weighing only 11.4 lbs

I think "nitrous" on an e-bike is doable.

Going south in the bike lane all that dumb __ traffic , hit boost and get across.
    Last edited by Rotary_spark_gap; 07-15-2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Bgeiger
      Bgeiger commented
      Editing a comment
      You DO realize that nitrous only works for internal combustion engines, not electric motors???

Now I am looking at those lithium jump starter batter packs . Much cheaper.

Nice numbers

Compact with a peak of 2, 200 Amps (UL2743 Certified)– it’s able to jump start flat batteries in 1-3 seconds up to 30 times on a single charge. Works with all 12V battery cars, vans, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATV, UTV, lawn mowers, yachts, and high displacement vehicles.

Why not use a boster to make a booster ?

I go south on that one road, my supermarket run and it sucks sometimes, well often, I just want to get across the traffic but I am doing 25-28 and that traffic is at 35.

Starter for MERCURY 135 H.P.-300 H.P Outboards
    Your Price: $117.50

Thats what I can come up with, posting here looking for ideas for"e-bike nitrous" boost me into the 40s just long enough to get across.

Not really sure how to do it.

Comment

Starter motor with this on it , how much torque can these things take ? Would already be moving so it wouldn't be that jolting I would imagine.

https://lunacycle.com/replacement-cy...-with-adapter/

I should send for one of these to mess with this idea at the shop.

Comment

I would consider adding a 500w geared hub motor with a "jump start" lithium battery pack, as you mentioned above. Unlike a direct drive hub motor, a geared hub motor can freewheel, adding no drag when not in use.
        "I need another SimuLatte"

Comment

500 watts of hub motor would be like turbo but no quite nitrous.

I thought about adding one question is where do I get one that still puts out power over 30 mph ?

I know from hanging out at the boat ramp outbourd motor starters can take alot of abuse from watching people with a motor problem they should try and find and fix instead just keep trying and trying to start it. Some people till they run down there boat battery and have to stop.

I like the hub motor idea, maybe if you can tell its programming its on a real small wheel it would keep pushing at 30+ on a big wheel ?

Comment

That is a bit beyond my knowledge and experience, Rotary_spark_gap.
            -I know the programming is in the controller. It determines min-max voltage, and in some cases, top speed.
            -You would definitely need a progammable controller for the second boost motor.
            -If your existing controller limits top speed, you will need to replace it with a programmable controller, as well.
            -There are no geared (freewheeling) hub motors available over 500w, to my knowledge.
            -If you add a 1000w hub motor for your nitrous effect, you will have to endure a slight amount of drag from it when not in use.

Comment

I must correct something I said, after doing some more reading. There is a geared hub motor rated at 2KW.

"Their most powerful geared hub motor is in the "Upgrade Mac Ebike Kit (~2,000W Max)" but there are no details at all about this motor."

-Unfortunately,em3ev has stopped selling hub motors, according to their web site.

We are back where we started.

Comment

Neat concept - though seems like it would be a pain to haul around an extra motor / controller / batteries / gears, etc just for the 'boost'?

What is the limiting factor on your build now? You can increase battery voltage for more boost, up to the controller limits. If you put better/higher volt components in the controller, you could boost up to the motor limits. If you take care with insulation / isolation in the motor, you can boost up to the thermal limits. If you're only running a few dozen seconds, the thermal limits might be quite high.

Bottom line - instead of adding a whole other system, you might look for better/higher voltage in what you have and add some sort of thermal limiting - or be very careful with your use of the 'NOS' button!

Comment

I think the answer is in studying what the electric drag racing crew is up to get ideas.

"The GE motor in Shawn Lawless' Rocket bike started out as a 24 volt forklift motor but can go over 200 mph."

The National Electric Drag Racing Association (NEDRA) exists to increase public awareness of electric vehicle (EV) performance and to encourage through competition, advances in electric vehicle technology.

And these nuts "They have slotted four of their new megawatt motors into a dragster chassis for a grand total of 4,000 kW or 5,364 horsepower."

https://insideevs.com/news/408448/ev...4hp-australia/

See what they are up to and mabye , snag some ideas and add 4 or 5 horsepower of boost to my bike for a boost.

Last edited by Rotary_spark_gap; 07-23-2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

You may want to look at this.... He used a washer motor and got it up to 60kmh: https://www.inputmag.com/design/this...-can-do-60-mph

Comment

Originally posted by Rotary_spark_gap View Post
                      500 watts of hub motor would be like turbo but no quite nitrous.

I thought about adding one question is where do I get one that still puts out power over 30 mph ?

I know from hanging out at the boat ramp outbourd motor starters can take alot of abuse from watching people with a motor problem they should try and find and fix instead just keep trying and trying to start it. Some people till they run down there boat battery and have to stop.

I like the hub motor idea, maybe if you can tell its programming its on a real small wheel it would keep pushing at 30+ on a big wheel ?
                      Just build a DD hub motor bike. A decent hub motor with thin laminations and an aluminum stator will do the trick. You will also need a 72 volt battery with a BMS that will do 100 amp bursts. and finally a controller that will also do 100 amps. 7000 watts will open your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

Just build a DD hub motor bike. A decent hub motor with thin laminations and an aluminum stator will do the trick. You will also need a 72 volt battery with a BMS that will do 100 amp bursts. and finally a controller that will also do 100 amps. 7000 watts will open your eyes.
                        Exactly. I am learning and will.

I have internet connection from hell right now but let me quickly paste in a Youtube came up in suggestions person quickly crudely attaches starter motor to bike

Homemade electric bike from scrap - Car starter bike - experiment I hope you like it make sure you Subscribe and like :)I used car starter motor (1kw)and car...

Lets see if I can even post internet so crappy today.

Its BS too its the ISPs playing games.

During the peak of the corona virus lock-down when everyone was home playing online no slow downs at all, fast internet the whole time. The ISPs play games. I have mine and 2 neighbors wifi, whole street on slowdown less then 1MBS. They want you to think its just you.

Comment

Just buy a boat battery "A/B" switch, and switch from your normal battery to say a 60v one, for quick bursts of speed! Very simple...

Comment

Originally posted by Bgeiger View Post
                            Just buy a boat battery "A/B" switch, and switch from your normal battery to say a 60v one, for quick bursts of speed! Very simple...
                            I like it a boost switch.

I want to add ultra capacitors to this thread. Never messed with them but them seem interesting and maybe could work as e-bike nitrous

Ultra Capacitor utilises the remaining voltage of your car battery to transfer charge into the Capacitor Jump Starter to generate power to then jump start the vehicle. Simply connect the ultra-capacitor to your car battery

https://www.google.com/search?q=ultr...r+jump+starter

Comment

Working...
                            X