Hailing Townie aficionado's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hailing Townie aficionado's

I've decided on an Electra Townie style donner for my next "ultimate" build. As of right now I have chosen 5 models that I like for one reason or the other. I was set on front/back caliper brakes although would settle for mech disc. Two of the choices have either rear coaster only or rear coaster with front disc brakes. What are your thoughts on rear coaster brakes on a BBHSD build? FYI these are IGH 3 speeds

Coaster brakes are a bad choice for a mid drive. They won't work. The derailleur version with front and read V Brakes is the best choice. IF any of the IGH versions have rear brakes other than coaster you'll be good to go.

Comment

The 8i for IGH and front and rear brakes.
      Last edited by Louis; 07-25-2016, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Rear coaster brakes are useless on a mid drive because you cannot pedal backwards. There is a solution. If I am not mistaken, The Nexus 3 with coaster uses the same hub as the Nexus 3 with roller brake. I think you can fit that Nexus with a roller brake for less than $20.

Comment

Originally posted by Rix Ryds View Post
          Rear coaster brakes are useless on a mid drive because you cannot pedal backwards. There is a solution. If I am not mistaken, The Nexus 3 with coaster uses the same hub as the Nexus 3 with roller brake. I think you can fit that Nexus with a roller brake for less than $20.

That would be sweet if that's the case. It wasn't with Sturmey Archer versions others used. And the Nexus on my Pure wasn't capable of adding the rollers. It's been two years since I did the research. It would be sweet if they used a version that can have the roller added.

Comment

I think they do, I know for a fact I can outfit my Nu Vinci with a Shimano coaster or roller. From what I understand, The only difference between the Nexus SG-3c40 and SG-3c41 is the brake actuating parts, the former the roller and the later a coaster. same hub.

Comment

Thanks guys. That was my thought as well.

The 2 bikes in question were the Straight8 & the Fast5 which were actually at the bottom of my list due to higher cost even though I really like the styling. I also do a lot of peddling without e-assist which for my area (very hilly) makes an IGH3 wanting (I'm currently running a Shram8 which works well). The Cruiser 7D comes in a distant 3rd. So now I'm left with the Lux7D & Lux Fat7.

I like the fact that the 7D has caliper brakes (call me old school) & although I haven't researched yet may allow me to transfere my current 73mm BBHSD along with a front suspension fork & Shram8 IGH. I haven't found any info on the 7D BB dimensions yet. Unfortunately the 26" X 2.35 tire isn't much more than I'm running now and I really would like to get to a 3" or larger tire but then my build costs would go up considerably. I also haven't found the BB dimensions for the Fat7 but I imagine it's bigger than 73mm.

At least now my focus is down to 2 bikes. Thanks again.

Last edited by tonk; 07-25-2016, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Good luck Tonk, Either one will make a fine ebike! My vote is for the Lux fat7, 'spinning magnets' did a real nice one.
              Last edited by Rix Ryds; 07-26-2016, 01:57 AM.

Comment

The Lux fat 7D definitely has a 100mm BB width.

I believe most Electra models use a 1-1/8 steer tube, which allows a wide variety of suspension fork options. The Lux Fat 7D that I have uses a one-inch, for some reason. No idea which one the cruiser 7D has...
                Last edited by spinningmagnets; 07-25-2016, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Looks like several new Electra builds are in the works. I will be doing two! Last week I bought a Townie 8i for my wife, and after riding hers for a couple of days decided my next build couldn't wait. Was trying to decide between the Townie, the Trek Pure and the Sun Drifter. Louis's experience with all three models was enough to persuade me to go Townie, as was the sudden appearance of a Townie 8i men's on ebay for a very reasonable price, which I promptly snapped up. The thing is both the Townies I bought have a front fork. I didn't know they even made a Townie with a fork until I saw one last week. I got a lot to learn! so my question to all the Townie folk is;

​Is this fork worth a damn, or is it going to give me trouble? I figure there is one of two reasons they cut the fork from the line, one, it's a POS, or two it's about cost cutting. I'm hoping it was just to cut production cost, as I was planning on adding front suspension, and this would save me a bundle. Any experience with these forks would be great to hear about. Thanks!

Comment

• Louis
                    Louis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I helped a pal mount a 750W FRONT DD motor on his 2006 Townie 8i. The shock is still good. He's done no maintenance. Now remember this is a bike that's only ridden on city streets. BUT since putting on the motor more than a year ago it's used daily 9 months of the year.

I did the build with a pair of Grin torque arms and there's no sign of any problem. I think the suspension is not that useful given the geometry and the load being towards the rear.

I'd bet the shock is decent.

• Rix Ryds
                    Rix Ryds commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Louis! That's some good info and eases my mind a bit. The fork seems OK, but the seals are cracking, any ideas on a source? Electra?

I'm envious Rix Ryds, I would love to get my hands on an 8i or Balloon and one day I will. That model didn't make my current list due to price new ($1100.+tx) & unavailability used around these parts. I did see one on craigslist, or maybe it was ebay, in L.A. or San Diego recently for $500. but since I just finished a way over budget first build & live in Sedona, AZ I hesitated. That sucker didn't last but a few days before being snapped up (was that you). It is on my super secret hidden list, = sh, don't let my wife know.

Standard Electra Townies & Cruisers pop up every so often on craigslist here but for me the tires are too slim. I like to ride fire roads & single track.

Comment

And I'm envious of you! Sedona! That's like some prime MTB territory! I would love to get my hardtail on those trails! , Keep up the search, an 8i will turn up. got both mine from Dallas area off ebay. $300 for hers, $475 for mine. A bit more than I wanted to pay on mine, but it had a fresh tune up at the LBS, and came with brand new Schwalbe Big Apples, some of my favorite street tires! BTW standard townie can accept some very wide tires, almost 3". I think the standard and Ballon use the same frame, But I'm not certain. Louis or Spinning Magnets will no more than I.

Comment

I encourage anyone contemplating a coaster brake to roller brake conversion to carefully study the schematics and parts lists for the two versions of the hub in question (for example, three-speed SG-3C41 vs SG-3R40). Several of the parts are different between the two, making it more than just a simple brake swap.

Comment

• Rix Ryds
                        Rix Ryds commented
                        Editing a comment

Read this carefully. It's not a brake swap, it's a brake addition. The roller brake attaches to the Nexus series hubs the same as a center lock or 6-bolt disk adapter. A coaster brake is inside the hub on the drive side, a roller brake is on the outside of the non-drive side.

• flyingpylon
                        flyingpylon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've reviewed all of the information I could find and came to a different conclusion, which is why I encourage people to do their own research. My opinion is that a roller brake cannot just be added to a coaster brake hub. For starters, the hub housing has to have teeth that engage the roller brake, and there are other differences as well.

Interesting comment on standard townie being able to accept a much larger tire than what comes stock. I'll have to look into that, thanks. My old bones just don't have the cushion they used too.

Comment

• Louis
                        Louis commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I grabbed a Suntour NCX seat post. This old man couldn't be happier. I'm disabled but able to keep my balance. I have severe back problems too. I can ride with no discomfort with that post. Best part I found it for 64.45 € or $70.80 delivered. Comes with a cover and I added a spare spring for around $5.
                        Thanks to a member here CraigAustin, http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/s...-medium-211480

The only glitch with bigger tires are existing fenders. My Planet Bike fenders are a PIA fit with 2.5" Hookworms.

I must really suk at web search, can't find an answer to widest tire an electra townie standard or cruiser will accept. Anyone here know?

Comment

• Rix Ryds
                        Rix Ryds commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My standard 8i men's has 2.2" Schwalbe Big Apple's. I think Louis runs a 2.5" Maxxis and still has clearance, so I'm guessing a little more than 2.5, but not much. I measured it at 3", but I would give myself plenty of clearance. 2.5" is the safest bet, more than that and things get real tight!
                    Working...
                    X