Trek Roscoe with a TSDZ2 Mid-Motor Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trek Roscoe with a TSDZ2 Mid-Motor Drive

Has anyone installed a Tongsheng TSDZ2 on to a 2020 Trek Roscoe? I've researched all the forums in the US and Europe and so far I have found only 2 conversions. One installation showed the owner having to sand the motor housing so the motor would clear the chain stay but I believe the bike still had a chainline problem. The Roscoe has the wider stays because it has the wider rear axle and the 2.8 wide tire. I started my conversion and ordered the TDSZ2 kit with the 100mm bottom bracket extension so I wouldn't have to sand the housing. Installed it and the chainline is really bad so I'm thinking of just installing the stock motor kit with the standard 88-73mm bottom bracket and sanding the motor housing. Anyone have any experience on doing this? Would appreciate help before I start sanding the motor housing.

Plus bikes are tough with the TS, I agree the chainline is poo using the fat kit plus there is problem with the 100mm spindles breaking if you ride hard/don't regularly check. Q factor gonna get screwed up but regardless its crap from the getgo and can be somewhat addressed with different crank choices...but have you considered cutting down the BB shell?

The Chameleon is sort of a similar setup, check out this guys build thread

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...p?f=6&t=111223

Comment

I ended up ordering the TSDZ2 with the 100mm extension as the 68-73mm was just a tad short. However the 100mm extension was a bit too long which required adding more BB spacers which placed the pedals further out then I wanted. I went back to the 68-73 BB and shaved the motor housing using small sanding discs and a flat file. This was tedious as I kept taking it off and on to check the clearance....slow, but I eventually got the motor on. BTW, as some of you may already know, David from Eco-Cycles, says the bracket to prevent motor rotation is really not required; just place a piece of rubber sheeting between the frame and the motor when tightening the large retaining nut and be sure the motor is rotated all the way forward. Since the motor wants to rotate forward when power is applied, the frame will prevent the motor from rotating and the rubber will isolate the motor from the frame. Tighten the large nut with the motor up against the rubber and it will hold nicely in place. I've done this to my other 3 bikes and it works. However, you do want to be sure the black bracket with the two ears that goes beneath the large retaining nut is installed with the bolts and spacers. I did note on some online videos that some folks leave this bracket off to give them more exposed threads for the retaining nut. Do not do this as that bracket holds the motor housing to the frame. Without it, the motor will only be supported on the chainring side which will eventually lead to the housing cracking...per Eco-Cycles. Very happy with my 2020 Trek Roscoe; not an ideal chainline but it shifts easily through all 10 gears via my XTR clutched rear derailleur.

And 2chains...Thank you for the post. That was a very informative article on installing the Tongsheng on a bike with wide chainstays.

Comment

Working...
      X