Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

keep front chainrings on a front wheel hub install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep front chainrings on a front wheel hub install?

i am about to convert my specialized roll, low entry bike using the bafang 500 watt front wheel hub system.....i’ve been doing my research on the different conversion types and i have a question.....i notice that when you convert to electric using a mid power plant you disconnect your front derailleur and only have one geared chain ring....when converting to electric, using the front wheel hub motor to you leave the 3 chain ring derailleur as is or do you strip two off and leave the largest one.....my gut feel,is you leave all three ......what is the general consensus ...thanks for looking....

Hi, and welcome to the forum - yes, you can keep your existing three chainring setup when adding a front wheel drive motor.

And a slight correction - not all mid drive motor conversions force using a single chainring.
    BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

A agree if you have a hub motor there is no reason to change any of your gearing at least just because of the motor. If you get some miles on and decide you want different gearing for some reason then sure change away but a hub motor in itself doesn't require a change.

The mid drives usually go to a single chain ring for 3 reasons. The main reason on most designs is due to the clearance and chain line. Most mid drive conversion kits have a decent sized internal gear inside a housing that ends up taking up the space where the middle and small rings would be on a classic 3x setup. The gearbox is actually wider than a triple ring setup so many of the mid drive chain rings have an offset that fit over the top of the gearbox that puts the teeth about in line with where the big ring would have been so the chain angles usually still work alright. The kits that don't have a gearbox like say a Cyclone have a second chain ring that has a chain that goes to a motor so that takes up some space.

Reason 2 is even if the clearance and chain angle issues were not an issue they would have had to design all new stuff to work since the crank isn't connected to the chain ring, there is another freewheel in the motor that lets the crank coast/freewheel if the motor is driving the bike faster than you can or want to pedal.

Reason 3 is with the motor there to help you you don't need the lower gears anyway so its just not worth trying to work around all those other issues.

Comment

thanks for your input, everyone.....

Comment

Working...
        X