Electric rhoadescar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric rhoadescar

Got a 1 seater rhoadescar very cheap. I know it's not the best peddle powered vehicle out there. But, I got it cheap. Sooo, I'd like to make it a electric bike. Thought on mid drive but that chain is realy long.no way to do a normal front or back hub motor. So I was thinking of using a back hub motor mounted in the rear above or in front of the axle. Running a chain from it (I'd have to put on a single gear non freewheel) to the rear most gears. I'd have to make a mounting bracket to mount the hub too. I'm also changing the wheel size to 24 inch for clearance of the chains and to increase speed. I'm new here but I've built a few hub drive bikes, and trikes. And this seems to me a good idea. Does anyone forsee any issues using a rear hub type motor ?I plan on getting one without a wee heel attached. Basicaly just the motor and using a basic set up with a controller ,battery,throttle,peddle assist ect. Thinking 48 v 1000 watt . Not for speed but for climbing abilities. This thing is heavy. Thanks for any input.

I really haven't researched things but I do see a lot of trikes and quads with mid drives. I don't think chain length really has much to do with strength. If anything length maybe helps because it lessens the angle issues many mid drive bikes have.

I'm not clear on what you are thinking with the wheel less hub motor and the different size wheel. Have any photos or sketches?

Comment

Right now the rhoadescar has 20 inch wheels. I want to put 24 inch wheels for ground clearance of the chains. The chains on a rhoadescar hang very low and are easy to snag up on stuff. As for the wheeless hub motor. To be used as a motor to spin a gear on the rear axle. My idea is if I hit the throttle the hub motor runs the axle. The peddle assembly doesnt spin because it has a freewheel casset on that same axle. But if I release the throttle and start peddling the peddle assembly takes over again. I'll get some pictures when I get off work tonight. The place I plan on making a mount for the hub motor would be a short chain from the hub motor to the gear on the axle.

Comment

Right now this is all just a concept in my mind as I havent seen this done before, other than a hub motor pusher 5th wheel at the back of one of these rhoadescar.

Comment

Did some work, decided on a 24vdc motor 500 watts because I found one that works in the garage.just waiting on a control box and throttle I ordered. Built a wood box for storage in the back. Built a canopy and frame for it. And changed out the front peddal assembly with a 3 gear one. Now I have 21 gears. Welded on a stubby so I had a place to mount the front derailleur. So far so good.

Comment

Also made a spare tire carrier on the wood box bed. The frame and canopy are removable. If this motor isnt decent enough I'll go back to my original idea. The center of a front hub is kind of like a wide pulley wheel. Was thinking if I used ot as such with something like a serpentine belt runnin to apulley wheel on the axle ,maybe add a tensioner of some sort it would work with a 48 vdc 1000 watt front hub as a pulley motor

Comment

Is it ok to over volt a brushed motor? I was thinking of using a 36 vdc lithium ion battery. If I did that would the 24 volt controller have to be replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaz2664 View Post
                Is it ok to over volt a brushed motor? I was thinking of using a 36 vdc lithium ion battery. If I did that would the 24 volt controller have to be replaced?
                I would be very hesitant to run 36v on a 24v system. It's one thing to go from 48v to 52v (8%) vs. 24v to 36v (50%) on a contoller.

I'm surprised at all the effort on a Rhodes Car as they are known for poor quality but then again everyone needs a hobby (chuckles....) and it sounds like you are addressing its short comings.
                Diggs Ut
                Ebiker
                Last edited by Diggs Ut; 07-11-2021, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaz2664 View Post
                  In general ok to "over=voltage" a motor to a point but unless you are looking for higher top speed not likely worth it and you will need to make sure you manage any heat burden if you are running higher power

In general you'd want to get a controller designed for the proper voltages - one of the reasons I point out that unless you are looking for higher speed, not usually worth it

Also in general a motor speed is proportional to the applied motor voltage so putting in a higher voltage battery will allow that and allow the motor to turn faster. Torque is proportional to the current applied to the motor and power is torque * speed =~ voltage * current [* efficiency]. Very important to note that these are the voltage applied to the motor however and by far most discussion of current and voltage is what is being applied to the controller which is an entirely different thing...

Comment

Thanks I'll stick to the 24 vdc battery for now. If I dont like the speed or power I'll upgrade to a more powerful set up. Yea it's not the greatest quadracycle.glad I didnt spend thousands on it brand new. I'd of been disappointed. The newer par bikes model looks alot more pop promising. But this is what I have for now. It's fun to tinker with though.

Comment

Friend had Rhodes car - He Loved it - I rode in it few times -
                      Amazingly it was a chick magnet - Nature Girls

U can run Long Chain - I had chain that was 2.5 chains together
                      worked well - chain Swing side to side was only problem
                      when going over curb sometimes would jump off sprocket -

I tried several chain Idlers designs and really Bare chain was best
                      Last edited by Groovy2; 07-16-2021, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Some pics.....

Comment

Working...
                        X