Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help with Throttle (key and volt meter) wiring

Hi,
    ive tried to figure this out on my own but want to double check with someone who knows what they're doing before I attempt this.

Ive included pics of the new throttle wiring and the old throttle connection to the controller.

I have an unknown 48v 1000w controller currently connected to a twist throttle which also has a power switch and 3 LED battery meter.

I want to swap the throttle for a new one which has a 3 digit Volt meter and Key power switch.
    The new throttle is 5 wires total but my old one connects using 7 wires to the controller.

I know the 3 throttle wires are the red/green/black.

From the controller:
    YELLOW and BROWN are for power switch
    GREEN and GREY are for 3 LED battery meter

On the new throttle wiring:
    YELLOW is supposed to go to battery positive +48V for the 3 Digit display
    BLUE is supposed to go to 'power switch/ignition ON' wire

Questions;
    1. Does the yellow wire have to go directly to battery +48v or can it go to green or grey (currently connected to 3 LED meter)?
    If so, green or grey?

2. Can the blue wire be connected to yellow or brown? Which one? Or is the 'power/ignition ON' wire somewhere else? ​​​​​​
    I have got a multimeter but don't know how I would use it to figure this out. I have checked continuity across blue and yellow on the new throttle... There is no continuity until the key is switched on, then there is continuity.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Budget Biker,

I would connect the YELLOW wire of the new throttle to the YELLOW wire of the controller.
    Take the throttle BLUE wire and connect it to the controller’s BROWN wire.

Isolate and tape off GREEN and GREY controller wires.

Connect your low voltage throttle wires…. RED to RED, Black to BLACK, and GREEN to GREEN.

Should be good to go…

Regards,
    T.C.
    See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

Thanks very much for the reply Tommy, much appreciated.

I've already wired it up (incorrectly) so I'll redo it, as you said, tomorrow.

I wired the red/green/black throttle wires correctly but I messed up the yellow and blue.

I connected the blue (throttle) to brown (controller) and the yellow (throttle) to green (controller), thinking this would ensure the Voltage display only works when the key is switched on.

This gave me no throttle or voltage display with key on or off.

I then disconnected the blue wire and put a jumper across the brown and yellow wires.

This gave me a working throttle and a working voltage display when the key is switched on. However, switching the key off turns the display off but doesn't stop the throttle working.

If I wire it up how you said, will the voltage display be on all the time or will it switch off when the key is switched off?
      i won't get a chance to test it until tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by BudgetBiker View Post
        If I wire it up how you said, will the voltage display be on all the time or will it switch off when the key is switched off?

Typically the voltage display is powered from the load or switched side of the key switch. Which also provides power to the “lock” or ignition circuit of the controller. I.E. both connected to the BLUE wire.
        So key “off”… both off.
        Key “on”… both on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommycat View Post

Typically the voltage display is powered from the load or switched side of the key switch. Which also provides power to the “lock” or ignition circuit of the controller. I.E. both connected to the BLUE wire.
          So key “off”… both off.
          Key “on”… both on.

Thanks for explaining. That makes sense, although Ive definitely got a blind spot when it comes to understanding electrics.
          ill try re-wiring later and post the results.

Thanks for the help TommyCat

Comment

So key “off”… both off.
            Key “on”… both on.

That worked great. Key, voltage meter and throttle are all working as they should. Thanks very much for your help Tommy, I appreciate it

Comment

Great news to start off the day! Your very welcome, glad to help.

Cheers!

Comment

Great news to start off the day! Your very welcome, glad to help.

Cheers!
                Cheers and thanks again! Hope the rest of your day goes well mate.

Am well happy :D on to the other 20+ things to change on this bike. First off... Changing these 620mm handlebars for something a little wider :)

Comment

Working...
                X