How to make push button as throttle? +video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make push button as throttle? +video

Hello, I recently decided to buy a 36v 250w ebike kit for my bicycle, the thing is that in my country it is illegal to use the accelerator and I had thought of putting a "horn" button but actually being a throttle to go unnoticed

What I did was connect to the positive switch of the throttle cable and the signal cable, but this happens, the first time I press it, it works but if I release the button and press it again, it stops working until I turn off and on again ebike kit , then it works again, one time only

Anyone knows how to solve this? Thank you!

Sorry for my bad english

I have installed a reduced voltage because I understood that I had to regulate it to 4.2V, but I really do not know what voltage it is set to since I do not have a tool for this xD, but the strange thing is that the first time it works and the second time I pulse the button no

This is what I use to lower the voltage
    Click image for larger version

Name:	81ydejYnEsL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	132469

And this is the circuit

Name:	DakL50h.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	132470
    JonathanRS
    Last edited by JonathanRS; 07-20-2021, 09:46 AM.

Really hard to say knowing nothing about the controller but one thing to keep in mind is that most electric bike throttles start somewhere around 0.8 to 1.1V when "off" and with the setup you have there the wire will be floating and pulled wherever the controller pulls it. Perhaps the floating wire generates a "fault" in the controller?

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
      Really hard to say knowing nothing about the controller but one thing to keep in mind is that most electric bike throttles start somewhere around 0.8 to 1.1V when "off" and with the setup you have there the wire will be floating and pulled wherever the controller pulls it. Perhaps the floating wire generates a "fault" in the controller?
      Thanks for respond

Controller is from china aliexpress kit 250w 36V

There is a sure fault, but I do not think it is the cable, I think more about the voltages issue, and more if you tell me that a throttle without acceleration is at 0.8V

Any ideas how I could install the button to accelerate and not fault?
      JonathanRS
      Last edited by JonathanRS; 07-20-2021, 11:06 AM.

Comment

It would be very easy to put a resistor divider from the regulator to 0V with the divider output on the line going to the controller input between the switch and the controller. That way when the switch is open it would put about 1V and then when the switch is pressed it would provide the regulator output.

This is would be easy enough to do as an experiment even if it doesn't solve your issue. If you tell me what kind of regulator I'll draw the overall connection and figure out your resistors if you'd like the help.

Comment

It would be very easy to put a resistor divider from the regulator to 0V with the divider output on the line going to the controller input between the switch and the controller. That way when the switch is open it would put about 1V and then when the switch is pressed it would provide the regulator output.

This is would be easy enough to do as an experiment even if it doesn't solve your issue. If you tell me what kind of regulator I'll draw the overall connection and figure out your resistors if you'd like the help.
          By regulator do you mean this?
          https://www.az-delivery.de/en/produc...tmeter-display

This is what I use to regulate the voltage
          JonathanRS
          Last edited by JonathanRS; 07-20-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I had also thought about putting the throttle with hidden tape at maximum power and with the switch activate/deactivate the signal cable, but of course if it has to give at least 0.8v, I don't know if it will work.

Comment

It would look something like this:

Name:	divider.png
Views:	92
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	132483

Comment

I will have to try it. Thanks

Comment

Well that's a honkin' regulator - you don't need the little capacitor I drew in

For the resistors, a place to start might be

Top: 750Ω

Bottom: 220Ω

If you have a voltmeter you could measure the voltage going in when pressed and not and see what happens

Comment

Well that's a honkin' regulator - you don't need the little capacitor I drew in

For the resistors, a place to start might be

Top: 750Ω

Bottom: 220Ω

If you have a voltmeter you could measure the voltage going in when pressed and not and see what happens

Ok, if I have not misunderstood, the schematic would be like this, right? Excuse me if I am a bit annoying, I am not very good with electrical diagrams and wanted to make sure before burning something xD

Click image for larger version  Name:	KCdNCEa.png Views:	0 Size:	283.7 KB ID:	132530
                    JonathanRS
                    Last edited by JonathanRS; 07-21-2021, 03:10 AM.

Comment

• AZguy
                      AZguy
                      Giga Member
                      AZguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's not like my drawing and won't do what you are trying to do

The button low side and controller input go to the point where the two resistors connect to each other and the bottom of the 220Ω goes to GND (the triangle in my drawings)

• JonathanRS
                      JonathanRS
                      JonathanRS commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ok ok sorry... If I have not misunderstood, would it be so? https://i.imgur.com/zVEcnfV.jpg

• AZguy
                      AZguy
                      Giga Member
                      AZguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Better =]

When the buttons is not pressed (open) you should see a bit less than 1V on the controller input and then when pressed the full 4.2V

If the 750Ω is decreased to 680Ω that would pick it up to a bit more than 1V - I really don't know what your controller expects (or even if this is the cure) but it's a cheap and useful experiment for sure and makes sense

A possible scenario that might describe your events is that when you turn it on the controller detects no throttle and it works normally. When you push the button the controller detects that you are full throttle and then when you release the button it detects that the throttle got disconnected and throws a throttle fault... no way to really know and that's just pure conjecture at this point

If that scenario is what's going on the addition of the resistors would send ~1V when you power, controller detects throttle that's closed, then pushing the button sends 4.2V and controller detects full open throttle, then released back to ~1V and controller sees closed throttle instead of disconnected throttle.

At least it's something I guess ;-}

Maybe for giggles when I get home I'll turn my bike on with the throttle connected and disconnect it and see if it throws a fault or stops responding to it when I plug it back in - it's an entirely different machine so can't draw solid conclusions, but just another data point...

Very thanks
                    AZguy
                    Giga Member
                    AZguy I will try it and comment on the result! :)

Comment

Working...
                    X