Change 10 speed to 7 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change 10 speed to 7 speed

Hello, I have a 4 season KHS frame with BBSHD, Lekkie 42T, 10 speed SRAM cassette and SRAM X9 derailleur. I dont need 10 speeds, I want to switch to 7 speeds, or maybe even 5 speeds. Can I use a 7 speed or 5 speed cassette On the existing hub by just using spacers behind it? Can I use the SRAM X9 derailleur if I adjust the limits for the smaller cassette? Does the quality of the cassette (and derailleur) go down with 5 speed components? I noticed that 5 speed components were a lot cheaper. I still want a really good derailleur and shifter.

Thanks

Fewer speeds gets you thicker chains and cogs, so durability should go UP with fewer gears. As for quality, I guess that depends upon which components you pick.

Not sure about fit issues, someone who's tried it will need to help there.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

The quality of parts does decrease, because the 5/6 speed derailleurs are designed for kids bikes and cheap-o bikes. You might look into an internal hub if you want something with fewer speeds but high quality. However, I'm not sure how compatible those are with e-bike setups.
      More than likely any 5 speed system would require you to change the wheel/wheel hub, cassette, chain, rear derailleur, and shifter. If you want to stay with high quality parts, I think you are probably better off switching to an 8 speed because the only parts you would need to change are the cassette, shifter, and the chain. Something like the PG-850 cassette, X-4 shifter, and PC-870 chain. I am almost 100% sure these parts would fit your current setup and would prevent you having to change too many components.

Comment

• JPLabs
        JPLabs commented
        Editing a comment
        KR, I see what you mean, and you are not wrong. I was thinking of when 7x systems were state of the art, and high end companies made them well. I think those designs are still available, and still pretty good quality. But your average kids bike 7 speed won't be made with those good parts. Older designs for Shimano 7-speed, for example, should still be pretty good parts if you can find them.

• KawikaRob
        KawikaRob commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally agree JPLabs!

• Alan B
        Alan B commented
        Editing a comment
        Strength of low cost parts can be quite high as they are likely steel instead of lightweight alloy. Quality may be fine. It is the lightweight parts that are really costly and not wanted for ebike use as they don't hold up.

Thank you JP and Kawika. I like the idea of thicker chain and cogs. And I like the idea of a 7 speed better than an 8 speed. Can anyone offer advice about a 7 speed fitting my rear wheel and/or my X9 derailleur working with a 7 speed cassette?

Thanks

Comment

• Alan B
        Alan B commented
        Editing a comment
        The derailleur may be fine, the shifter should match the cassette and be compatible with the derailleur.

I thought about it too. I am tired of breaking chains with my Cyclone 3000. But I am confused about what chains are compatible with the Shimano 7 speed cassette. "Shimano CS-HG50 7spd Cassette, 13-34t (13,15,17,20,24,29,34) HG cassettes listed here work with HG and IG90, 70, 51 and 31 chains
      HG cassettes are not designed to work with IG30 and IG50 chains"

The 8 speed cassettes seem to take most 1/2 x 3/16 chains.
      "Shimano CS-HG41 8 Speed Cassette
      Number of Speeds: 8
      Chain Compatibility: 3/32"
      11-34t (11-13-15-17-20-23-26-34)"

Sunrace 8 sp cassette $17
      12-34t

The Cyclone 3000 watt and LightningRods 3000 watt people swear by the Wipperman Connex BMX chains.
      Wippermann Connex model 808 8 speed chain $22
      Suitable for ATB/trekking, city/touring, mountain bike and road bike
      Dimensions: 1/2" x 3/32"
      Pin length: 7.20 mm
      Roller width: 2.40 mm
      Pin ejection pressure: >1500 N
      Pin hardening: XHB
      For all 6/7/8-speed gear systems

Shimano RD-M360 Acera Rear Derailleur - 8 Speed $21.

Shimano SL-M310 Altus Single Shifters 8 sp
      Rear Only, Black (8 Speed) $19

Last edited by Sather; 08-10-2016, 07:17 AM.

Comment

I changed from 9 speeds to 7 speeds on an REI Bonanza mountain bike with 9C hubmotor. The chain is still the 9 speed chain, it fits. The derailleur is still the original SRAM 5.0. I changed only the shifter to match the number of gears in the thread-on freewheel. I'm in the process of changing it again, this time I'm going to an SRAM 7 speed trigger shifter which should work with any 1:1 SRAM derailleur. I'm getting an X.3 shifter and an X.4 derailleur. Haven't put it together yet, still waiting for parts.
        Alan B

Comment

Not that style ever sold me, but that is a nicely priced and nice looking derailleur. I might just copy that combo on my Wife's bike. The current setup is really hard for her to engage. Good reviews. Modest price.

Comment

Not sure which set you are going to use, I have received the shifter and derailleur. So far test fitting the X.3 trigger shifter with the Magura and Domino throttles it looks compatible with either. That was on a 1/2" piece of PVC rather than a handlebar, so there's a little more play, but it appears that it will fit. Both triggers are below the bar which is good for these throttles, whereas the Shimano has a trigger on either side which doesn't work since the throttles need room for the cable exit on one side. SRAM has a better arrangement for twist throttles.
            Alan B

Comment

Just did a test fit with SRAM X.3 trigger shifters, Shimano XTR cable type right-hand mountain bike brake lever, and tested both the Domino and Magura throttles.

I could not find a good compromise position for the Domino, unfortunately. The Magura is a bit smaller and more compatible with the triggers, so that's probably the way I will go on this ebike. The thumb easily reaches the paddles and the first two fingers reach the short brake lever. I didn't take it for a test ride, but it looks and feels okay. I may file a bit off the triggers to improve clearances, but it probably won't be necessary.
              Alan B

Comment

No, 7 or 8 speed cassettes will not work with your 10 speed shifter. The gears get closer together the higher the number so the shifter won't move the derailleur the right amount. A 7 or 8 speed actually uses the same chain and the shifters work interchangeably (except that a 7 speed shifter of course only goes 7 speeds). On ebay you can find NOS (new, old stock) shifters and such where you can get quality components for 7 or 8 speed setups. I am not sure whether the 7 or 8 speed cassettes will work on your wheel. It might but I am not experienced with 10 speed cassettes.

Comment

• dieselten
                  dieselten commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks BK, appreciate the insight.
              Working...
              X