Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebike Suspension

Hi,

Just joined the group and hope I have posted this in the correct place. I have a Ridgeback Arcus 2 Ebike (https://www.ridgeback.co.uk/ridgebac...s-2-varrb21930) which I am really enjoying. I bought it last July and, from going from very seldom going out on my old bike, have done nearly 3000km so far.

My issue is the front suspension forks (ZOOM 188D LO 63 mm) are sticky. My original dealer keeps saying they are just cheap forks and can't expect anything much from them. I have spoke to another dealer who thinks they are not working correctly. After watching some videos on Youtube, I took them apart and the inside of the Stantions are worn on one side. I originally planned to clean them but they were pretty clean. Unfortunately on putting them back together I managed to damage one of the seals. So I think I need to change them. Now I understand that these are probably the cheapest front suspension avaliable so am looking for some advice on what I could change them to.

The majority of my riding is on cycle paths or roads, however I do also do a bit of off road cycling on gravel or forest paths which can sometimes be muddy or rocky, though not mountain biking obviously. Could anyone suggest what would be a suitable upgrade for my front forks?

Thanks

I don't want to sound like a hater who claims you can only get by with the best suspension forks from sources like Fox or Rock Shox, but I've seen a few of those cheap Zoom forks come through the bike shop over time. Without bias I can say every one of them I've seen is pretty much junk. As you've noticed, their bushing interfaces are horrible as far as durability goes. A low end Suntour or RST will hold up much better for service life and fork action. I think you're wasting your time trying to keep that fork going.

You mention that this bike has gotten you out and about a ton more now and that you're really enjoying it. IMO that makes it worth upgrading the fork to make it way more pleasurable to continue riding. You can go to Amazon, ebay, etc. and find some decent Suntour and RST forks that will provide much better service and performance for less than $100 to $150...making sure you get one with disc brake caliper tabs for your brakes. Your bike doesn't need the top tier fork to provide some decent service and performance, but that Zoom fork probably isn't worth saving.

Comment

Rockshox makes a Paragon series of forks for 700c. They come in Silver and Gold versions. I think the Silver may be an OEM version. Marzocchi made some MX Comp forks that would work but they're all about 15 years old, and cost as much or more than the Paragon. Marzocchi did make an Empire Elite street fork that would be a step up also. Gary Fisher used them on his original dual sport line. To keep the steering geometry correct you will need to stay with 60-65mm travel. For offroad forks that means 15 year old stuff. There are only a couple higher level street forks out there.
      The Paragon is popular in Europe where 700c touring bikes are common. Most people in the US go straight to MTBs for that.

Comment

Suntour have some cheap and good forks. Zoom its only for comply like "suspension fork" .

Comment

Retro, I'd agree that the Paragon is a very good fork for a hybrid or bike like the OP's. But those units are around $250. The RST 700C suspension forks are well over $100 cheaper and still offer performance more than decent enough for what the OP is describing for this bike application. I'm not suggesting the OP's bike is junk by any means, but a good RST model in the $75-$150 range works extremely well on a e-hybrid. I ran one of their cheaper 700C models on my Trek 2300 road bike frame that I turned into a gravel bike, and it has held up on pretty cobbly dirt roads around my area extremely well. If money is no object, then go for the Paragon. It's a good 700C option.

And OP, make sure you know your steerer tube size before ordering anything. It's probably going to be 1&1/8" on your bike but don't assume that.

Comment

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            I've seen Paragons offered in the $180 range. I have a hard time recommending RST because they seem to make a different fork for every EOM bike they come on.I know some of them are decent, but I have no idea which ones.The ones I've encountered have the stiction problem. But they were on $500 bikes. There were some RS GPS shocks.If you can find one that's coil and oil in 700c that would be great. But the elastomer versions aren't any better than the RST OEM stuff.
            There was a 700c Rockshox GPS Metro back in the day. If it was based on the JUDY XC like the 26" Serra, Europa it would be good. If it's based on the Judy TT not so much. The fact that it came on a Gary Fisher Nirvana makes me think it's the good one.He tended to offer better forks on his street bikes than Trek.
            Some very old ones may not have disc brake mounts so be careful. My GPS Serra that came on my 2004 GF Solstice is still going strong.
            Last edited by Retrorockit; 09-12-2021, 12:56 PM.

I’ve built 2 hybrid bikes (Trek DS frames) and switched out the forks to Rockshox Paragons. I must say that along with a good suspension seatpost asphalt riding is so plush it feels like you’re riding on pillows. Get the Paragons, you won’t regret it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. TNC you mention the RST 700C, do you have a particular model you could suggest as there seems to be several.

Comment

No offense but a solid fork would be better than the zoom... For suspension the folks are making some good suggestions but you generally have to pay of what you get with suspension setups

Comment

Considering that most of the 60-65mm forks are over 10 years old. I think the Paragon would be money well spent. I use the RS Europa, and Serrra because I've owned them both since new and the bikes have been always stored indoors.That's not something that could be reliably duplicated. In the world of useable suspension forks $250 is not an expensive fork. If the Paragon came in 26" I would buy one just to see how it compares the the 2 GPS forks, and the RS SID XC forks I own. Several years ago I found an NOS 2004 Marzocchi MX Comp Coil for my brothers Gary Fisher Utopia @ $140. But used ones are more than that now, and hard to come by.I think an MTB shop was dumping them because short travel was no longer popular.Rockshox is owned by SRAM, and they're German. The Paragon serves a large European 700c market. You're lucky it exists at all. MTB quality street forks are few and far between.

I think TNC work in a bike shop. If he has another specific solution for you I would trust him.
                Last edited by Retrorockit; 09-13-2021, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X