Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling kit vs bike locally -- which is a better idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling kit vs bike locally -- which is a better idea?

I just bought a new BBSHD kit with a 52v battery and I don't need it anymore for complicated reasons. I put it up on Craigslist as a kit for about $100 less than I paid, but I'm not necessarily expecting it to sell -- I'm thinking I'll still build it out when I find a good frame and sell it ready to go to recoup my costs and maybe even make a small profit. I have the appropriate tools, etc, so the build shouldn't be much trouble. There aren't a lot of ready-to-roll ebikes available on Craigslist around here, so I'm not sure what I could expect to sell it for. What do you think, builders and sellers? Will it sell better as a bike or a kit? Is it worth the (admittedly minimal) trouble of putting it on a frame? If it makes a difference, I'm in Connecticut.

If you build it into a bike there will just me more things that could possibly only appeal to a specific person so I think there would be less chance of getting your money back. Bike could end up being the wrong size or the wrong style or just the wrong color. Maybe it would sell but you may have to wait a long time for the right person to come along. If you keep it as the kit its also much easier to store and ship than if it was a whole bike.

I would just give it some time and make sure you have plenty of good keywords. Did you get it from Luna? I think that can be a selling point if you did since Luna has a pretty good rep and come up in most searches. If you got a no name battery that may be a harder sell for people that have done some research.

Comment

Maybe you could offer to convert someones suitable existing bike?

Comment

I too think that building a bike isn't the way to go - frankly adding any kind of "farkles" to bikes generally doesn't add to their value unless there is someone that wants a bike setup just that way. It may not be a good way to go unless you don't value your time much too. Even an experienced builder is likely going to put at least eight hours into the build by the time it's all done and tied up nicely and if there's procuring more parts, etc it can snowball a bit.

If I were to just sell the motor I'd likely expand the market and list on ebay.

Batteries are a tougher sell, too easily damaged (dramatically shortened life which is hard to tell, or capacity diminished which is hard to argue with a seller about) or even destroyed. It's is very difficult to ship them legally too - how much you want to risk shipping it illegally is up to you. Craigslist may be a better way to find a local buyer but seems like such a limited market (I've never even considered looking there for a battery). When did you purchase the battery?

Posting them on a sites like this or other sites with bikes would seem logical but would be far easier if you were active on those forums. E.g. your early join date is in your favor but only two posts works against you

I might try and find someone that wants to convert a bike and offer to help but that's about as far as I would go... if you build it it can become your headache if things don't go well for the purchaser whether your doing or not

Comment

Working...
        X