Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone report chain breaks with BBSHD or Cyclone?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of good info in this thread. Still, it's hard to say what causes most chain breaks. Some people snap them with their legs while others flog them with a BBSHD and have no trouble. I have always been under the impression that poor chainline is the main culprit. How many of the failures are from broken side plates vs pins popping loose? I plan to experiment with modified cassette setups. Seems like a good solution to zany chainline.

Comment

I've only broke one... and it was a tortures test experiment.

I wanted to see how long a chain would last with *zero* maintenance. I put it on my BBSHD fattie and never touched it, no lube, no cleaning and rode it in the dusty desert. I don't remember how long it lasted but it was somewhere around 1000-2000mi.

It made sense from an economic standpoint that the loss of mileage wasn't enough to justify my time maintaining.

But it sure felt like crud and I clean and lube pretty religiously because it feels so much better riding on a well tuned and lubed setup =]

Comment

I did find something while lubing the chain on my BBSHD 8 speed.The quick link side plates were warped. Probably from the cross chaining on my 130mm x5 bolt Bafang adapter setup.They're much thinner than the other side plates on the KMC E bike chain. I think the Wipperman part is a little different. I haven't looked yet to see if there is any advantage there. But a heavier duty part there would be nice.
        I may actually go back to the old Shimano press pin method. No weak link there. I'll have to see if the Shmano pins work with a KMC chain.
        Last edited by Retrorockit; 11-25-2018, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
          I've only broke one... and it was a tortures test experiment.

I wanted to see how long a chain would last with *zero* maintenance. I put it on my BBSHD fattie and never touched it, no lube, no cleaning and rode it in the dusty desert. I don't remember how long it lasted but it was somewhere around 1000-2000mi.

It made sense from an economic standpoint that the loss of mileage wasn't enough to justify my time maintaining.

But it sure felt like crud and I clean and lube pretty religiously because it feels so much better riding on a well tuned and lubed setup =]
          Not to mention they get noisy when not maintained.

Comment

• AZguy
            AZguy commented
            Editing a comment
            very

shifted like crap too

i started using dry lube last year. didn't realise it had a short life. thought my motor was starting to make noise. Just the chain.

Comment

Working...
          X