Adult Trike build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adult Trike build

Ordered a Kent Monterey 7 speed Trike on sale. Would like to install a mid drive. From what I understand it has drive wheel and a wheel that just free wheels. This would not be a good thing in my mind. What can be done to make both wheels drive wheels? Intend to order fat wheels if this problem can be overcome. Any help appreciated.

A mid drive will put the motor fairly low and you do not want the speed of a BBSHD on that trike. Anything in the teens and above for speed is asking for a roll over. The sanest builds I've seen are front wheel drives. Luna has several good choices for front wheel drive conversions.

I'd be on this motor for a mild ride. Even 36V will give you all the speed that bike will need. 48V for more pulling power but remember that over 10-12MPH that bike is easy to flip. I'd go the 48V with a 20Ah battery and use common sense.

http://lunacycle.com/hot-new/smart-p...motor-hub-kit/

Comment

Thanks Louis. Have a BBSO2 bike I don't ride any more since I built the HD bike. The trike will be the grocery getter-cruiser. Tractor seat. Cheap chinese front suspension if I make it fat. May be cut off some seat post and get a laid back seat post. Keep the distance from the peddles right, and lower the COG. All just ideas until I see it. 120 bucks off. Free delivery to and set up by Walmart. I know to check after them. Couldn't pass it up. there's an indiegogo for a fat trike with front hub and battery. 699

Comment

Originally posted by New Mariner View Post
        Thanks Louis. Have a BBSO2 bike I don't ride any more since I built the HD bike. The trike will be the grocery getter-cruiser. Tractor seat. Cheap chinese front suspension if I make it fat. May be cut off some seat post and get a laid back seat post. Keep the distance from the peddles right, and lower the COG. All just ideas until I see it. 120 bucks off. Free delivery to and set up by Walmart. I know to check after them. Couldn't pass it up. there's an indiegogo for a fat trike with front hub and battery. 699
        Great use for a bbs02. Just remember to not lug it along and it'll be a great ride.

Comment

Plan on gettin 110 BCD adapter and put on about a 36 or 38. keep it spinning

Comment

I would go with a 104 adapter and a 32. I have that on a tandem trike that weighs 450 pounds loaded with both riders and it will still run 22 mph. That is with a 20" rear tire. That gives you lots of low end so you don't damage the BBS02. I have over 1000 miles with this setup.

Comment

To anyone considering this, almost all trikes of this style are one wheel drive. Didn't know this prior to ordering. There are only a couple of differential solutions available. Don't know what would be the cost of that or any difficulty in doing so. You won't find it listed in there specs that it is one wheel drive. Like most Walmart bikes it is difficult to find full specs. Tried to find specs prior to ordering. Of course they couldn't be found. Think I won't be building an e-trike.

Comment

Awww that's a bummer, I wanted to see what you ended up doing with it! I like the delta style fat trike idea in concept, I'm just not sure how well it works in the real world. I found this kit online but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to figure out if it's a workable solution or not:

http://www.fattiretrike.com/#!accessories/zr7sp

I think a fat trike would be a fun, stable (at low speeds) cruiser on any terrain!

Comment

Originally posted by theronchaplin View Post
                  Awww that's a bummer, I wanted to see what you ended up doing with it! I like the delta style fat trike idea in concept, I'm just not sure how well it works in the real world. I found this kit online but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to figure out if it's a workable solution or not:

I think a fat trike would be a fun, stable (at low speeds) cruiser on any terrain!
                  Thanks. He's 2 hours away. Sounds like a road trip soon...

Comment

• theronchaplin
                    theronchaplin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Keep us posted!

Originally posted by theronchaplin View Post

There are a variety of kits out there like that. I bought a complete 7 speed trike for essentially the cost of a kit. Having never gone in this direction, it is presenting many challenges. Finding wider wheels is one issue. A few will build them, but at premium cost. I haven't given up. Regrouped and rethinking. 24" wheels. If it remains a one- wheel drive, need 3-4" fat tires. Traction and suspension.. Bike arrived yesterday. Have to measure the bottom bracket. Very weird feeling the first time on a trike. Wider wheels and tires will increase the stability I think. A longer wheelbase would be nice. I can see where this could be accomplished with a kit build. Other than complete bike price, I think I am starting to see some of the advantages to going the kit route e-trike. Primarily stability. And you can build it to your purpose. Maybe I will take this thing back and start again.

Comment

This guy also makes a kit and some cool looking trikes. https://higleymetals.com/Special_Needs_Bicycles.html

Comment

Examine the trike conversion kits carefully. Many differ in form and function. This one looks almost exactly like the rear end of my Monterey. Gears and a drum brake. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tricycle-Tri...MAAOSwbsBXj~jT

Comment

Back to Walmart. 750 watt mid drive too much for this bike. Shame. Nice Dawg colors.

Comment

I tried my MXUS 1000W with regen braking on the front of a trike. It was very responsive and quick. A little to quick and fast, especially on the turns. I need to sort it next season or this winter, but prefer the Trek Pure trike and it's a poor candidate for a mid drive due to motor position.

Comment

Looked at your trek Pure. I see what you mean about the motor position. Did not know what to expect from a stock trike. You either go straight or slow. I wonder how many seniors have taken falls in corners? This has created an itch I need to scratch. I like the idea of three wheels, and the potential comfort you can build into it. 3 things come to mind to make it more stable. 1) Lower 2) Longer 3) Wider. 2 out of the 3 are easily doable. The wider will take a little work. Maybe Higley or Bush could make something a little wider. Maybe not. They may be set up to build the exact dimension of what they are selling and can't do a one off. A trike conversion kit with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed will be the start. 24' Fatties on the rear with a slightly lower profile tire. A stretch cruiser frame of some sort. Or maybe a chopper frame. To have a decent fork, may not be able to go full fat up front. ay be be able to put 3" fat up front on a 26' wheel. All depends on the fork. Almost all of them have some kind of limits. Use a set back seat post to be able to keep the seat lower and still get leg extension. Also makes it more peddle forward. I can visualize a tractor style seat on it. My first foray into something like this. I will try to solve the one wheel drive issue if I can. There are some solutions out there. I have only just scratched the surface of knowledge in this area so far. A whole new learning curve, but I think very doable for almost anybody. Once the solutions are provided. With fat tires on the rear, one wheel drive may be OK. Or since most likely not making many sharp turns, solid axle 2 wheel drive may be a solution. Anyway, all this is above my paygrade at the moment, but not very far above. Google and youtube are my friends. Hopefully these frames I will be looking at have small bottom brackets for my BBSO2. I also hope they come out with a reasonably priced 24" fat bike in a 15 inch frame. That will get my BBSHD. The standover for 26" fat bikes is ridiculous for the vertically challenged.
                            '

Comment

Working...
                            X