Battery weight question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery weight question.

There is probably no single answer for this, but would welcome some feedback.
    In August last year picked up an older but obviously looked after steel frame bike Decal on the bike says strongbicycle.com
    The front forks say zoom tracker 550, zoom appears now to be a local ebike seller, strongbike is no longer.
    Bike is full suspension and very heavy, my guess is about 70 lbs with battery.
    Rear hub motor is 250 watt brushed quite a large motor, front hub motor is a Jump bike 250 watt +.
    We live in the hills close to the mountains, so we do use 2wheel drive on the hills.
    So here is my dilemma, the bike came with 3 new 12 SLA batteries in the abs battery case and I have range anxiety, I have some Nissan Leaf modules and could build a battery with 3 of the 8lb modules on the crossbar and 2 modules in the panniers, one on each side, 5 total.
    So I weigh 240 lbs, and the original battery weighs 28 lbs and who knows how far it would take us.
    with my 240 + another 40, @ 280 lbs is a bit much I fear.
    The attraction to the Leaf Modules is that I have them and they are paid for,
    they would also give me between 40 to 50 amp hours at 40 to 38 volts, whee I could go to town.
    Bike seems to handle the current load ok, Your thoughts would be most welcome.
Working...
X