Power and class labels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power and class labels?

I'm thinking about doing an ebike conversion, and in my research I ran across a provision in local law:

MN Stat 169.222 ยงSubd. 6b.Electric-assisted bicycle; equipment.
    (a) The manufacturer or distributor of an electric-assisted bicycle must apply a label to the bicycle that is permanently affixed in a prominent location. The label must contain the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage of the electric-assisted bicycle, and must be printed in a legible font with at least 9-point type.
    Do other jurisdictions have similar requirements?

How do DIYers deal with this?

Oh boy - looks like Minnesota's law enforcers got back to the law initiators to draft, "clarify and help us enforce your laws if you're going to write them", er, laws. I don't recall anybody on the forum previously mentioning such detailed requirements (and don't have them in my east coast state).

Yeah, it's just a sticker, but still. Required perhaps in but one state? I think some ebike manufactures have stickers with close to, but not all of the statute's detail.

The statue also states, "An electric-assisted bicycle must operate in a manner so that the electric motor is disengaged or ceases to function when the rider stops pedaling or when the brakes are applied." This is more that just a sticker, and I've seen quite a few built e-bikes that would fail this requirement (no incorporated brake lever motor cutoffs).

Also part of the statue is, "A person must not modify an electric-assisted bicycle to change the motor-powered speed capability or motor engagement unless the person replaces the label required in paragraph (a) with revised information." Uh-huh, you betcha.

P.S. Our often quoted advice regarding avoiding trouble with law enforcers (that's their job), are, "don't ride stupidly or like an ass, when riding on paths slow down near pedestrians, and follow the vehicle laws applicable to you as a bicyclist such as using hand signals when riding on the road".
    Last edited by ncmired; 04-15-2022, 09:42 AM.
    BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      I ride in a way that's mostly consistent with normal bicycle use. With a nearly silent BBSHD I'm there and gone without them even noticing it's an E bike. Head winds, hot weather, long rides, hills can all be taken in stride.I could probably claim to be grandfathered in since my bike was built a while ago. But whether a judge would "choose" to agree is another story. Traffic judges are the bottom of the barrel for competence, and experience.Police around here seem to have better things to do. But in NYC where delivery E bikes on sidewalks are a problem the situation could be quite different.YMMV.
      Federal law allows a 750W motor and 28mph speed limit. That "Class" of E bikes can't have a throttle. It's a useful amount of power and speed. Although in the places I ride it's a recipe for roadkill. If you want to be legal that's what I would get. My throttled 1500W BBSHD has literally saved my life, I don't think an LEO will kill me over this so I take my chances. Don't ride like an ass goes a long way. But if others are doing it then the climate is contaminated.
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 04-15-2022, 09:44 AM.

What's the worry? A traffic ticket for some vehicle inspection regulation violation ?
    You know the rules of the road.
    Jursidiction is overarching, is your reference from a state Dept. of Environment agency and is it a regulation or a rule because it is not a law.
    If it is an ENCONN / DER ? regulation then the inspection , with some reason, explanation and enforcement and subsequent prosecution of a violation would be up to a what we call a game warden.

Originally posted by Jdege View Post
    I'm thinking about doing an ebike conversion, and in my research I ran across a provision in local law:

Do other jurisdictions have similar requirements?

How do DIYers deal with this?

Comment

• ncmired
      ncmired commented
      Editing a comment
      From what I see the statute, MN Stat 169.222, falls under the transportation arm of Minnesota government and probably then vehicle law.

Originally posted by ncmired View Post
    Also part of the statue is, "A person must not modify an electric-assisted bicycle to change the motor-powered speed capability or motor engagement unless the person replaces the label required in paragraph (a) with revised information." Uh-huh, you betcha.
    I don't suppose a blank vinyl label that I can fill in with a sharpie with whatever I have it set to would do?

MN statutes also define a BB gun as anything less than .18 caliber, so .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire is a BB gun and a 6mm Airsoft is a firearm.

Comment

• ncmired
      ncmired commented
      Editing a comment
      Make your own label - sure, I guess. I was surprised that they would allow the owner to mess with the settings, then make a label that would kinda-sorta describe what the owner did. Why would they get so picky in their e-bike statutes, then allow such a loose loophole that potentially makes the law enforcer's job harder once again.

I've got aftermarket controllers on two of my bikes that allow for four times the usual 750 watt limit - guess that's ok as long as the sticker says that's what I've got, and since the statute doesn't appear to specify how Minnesota defines class 3.

"Don't alter the settings under penalty of punishment" would be more what I'd expect them to legislate.

P.S. Want some internet search fun? Take a gander at how many different and fake Bafang motor stickers are available.
      Last edited by ncmired; 04-15-2022, 02:38 PM.

I am pretty sure making your own sticker is legit. I don't see anywhere that says it has to be manufacturer applied or professionally printed.
    I haven't added a sticker other than the one bafang has on the bottom of the BBS02B. I'm not worried. In a national park I might give it a little though, but I wouldn't stress over it. I ride respectfully so I don't draw undue attention.

All the sticker needs to be is accurate to your setup. The proper stickers can be purchased.
    My wife just got a Lectric XP and it ships as a class 2. It can be setup as a class 1 and 3 as well. They apply the class 2 sticker over a class 3 sticker and tell you to peel the class 2 sticker off if you set the max speed to the class 3 28mph limit.

As far as I know none of the top line e mountain bikes have brake cut offs. Of course they don't have a throttle either.

If you build a class 3 bike and live in a state that doesn't allow throttles on bike paths then just unplug the throttle. I'm willing to bet most enforcement types would over look the class if you at least made an attempt at conforming.

The sticker I want to make is
    CLASS XI
    88MPH
    1.21 GW

Comment

• ncmired
      ncmired commented
      Editing a comment
      Would you like a pair of Nike Mag shoes to go along with that sticker, sir?

• Dshue
      Dshue commented
      Editing a comment
      Heck yeah.

I have this mental video of a cop pulling me over to check my bike. No officer I am not gonna ride my bike WOT through your radar gun, An do you have a volt meter & ammeter or tachometer so you can measure the wattage and speed,
    Dumb when bureaucrats and pols write laws that the cops cannot possibly enforce.
    Probably only comes into play if you are accused of causing an accident.
    Last edited by ynot; 04-23-2022, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• ncmired
      ncmired commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget to add the "Basic Electronics" course to the officer's training course load and annual recertification requirements. I'm sure they'll love it!

goggle ebike class stickers

Comment

people always tell me I have no class

Comment

These stickers are available on Amazon, Bolton Ebikes, etc. It's not just MN. I want to take my DIY BBHSD ebike out on Mackinac Island (MI) but they only allow Class I ebikes (no other motorized vehicles at all) that are factory permanently stickered. I can pull the throttle (I'm assuming it runs without the throttle being present) for the day and sticker it if it's something I really want to do. Haven't decided yet and my travels don't take me there for a few weeks yet.

Comment

• Dshue
          Dshue commented
          Editing a comment
          What specifically is "factory stickered"? Do we have a national database that is set up to determine this? The answer is NO. My wifes Lectric XP has a class 2 sticker factory applied, the bike comes programmed as a class 2. But it can be reprogrammed as a class 3 and under the factory applied class 2 sticker is a factory applied class 3 sticker. But the stickers don't have a serial number on them, nor the manufacturers name.

If I were to remove the throttle and add any legit class 1 sticker I guarantee it will pass as a class 1. And it would be completely legitimate in the eyes of the law. 500w, no throttle and limited to 20mph. That IS a class 1 ebike. The only reason the XP doesn't have a class 1 sticker is because it has a throttle and while the bike is capable of working without it removing it is a bigger hassle than changing 1 parameter in the settings to go from class 2 to class 3.

On my bafang BBS02B mid drive bike if I were to remove the throttle and limit speed to 20 mph and add a class 1 sticker it to would be a legitimate class 1 ebike in the eyes of the law. 750w rated, no throttle and limited to 20mph. Again that IS a class 1 ebike.

In order to enforce the "factory applied" sticker rule they would need to identify every single class 1 factory built ebike ever made, and then update it in order to stay current. For every ebike brand that you are aware of I'll bet there are 10 that you've never heard of.
          So if they toss you out because they don't believe your bike is legit then it's just as likely they'll toss out a legitimate bike as well.
          You can always set up a facebook marketplace page and claim to be the manufacturer and distributor of the ebike you built and advertise it as a class 1 with compliant specs. Then the rangers can even find your exact model for sale online for sale.
          Even rapid prototyping is done in factories. Entire factories are dedicated to one off prototyping.
          Like I've said operate it as a class 1, set it up as a class 1, apply a class 1 sticker.
          If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck then it's probably a duck.

We mostly ride our BBSHD modified custom tandem on rail trails, often dirt/gravel. On rail trails and in National and State parks often seeing signage stipulating ONLY Class 1 bikes allowed, e.g. NO THROTTLE. In fact we got a real stink eye from one ranger as we rode past. No way to disguise the motor and all the surface wiring.
        We only ride with throttle assist, disabled the PAS. Of the nine levels of settings on the digital interface, only level nine does anything, programmed at 100% throttle assist. Top speed programmed at 15.5mph. At crossings I just click down to level 8 to avoid unplanned throttle jerks.

Just checked our original programming with laptop, and decided to also program assist level two of nine for PAS. Idea is that we'll never use it but could demonstrate to a park ranger that we are indeed a Class One when required. Road trial shows that throttle but not PAS worked, not sure why? Does level 0 and 1 have to to be non-zero for level two to kick in?

Class 1: eBikes that are pedal-assist only, with no throttle, and have a maximum assisted speed of 20 mph.
        Class 2: eBikes that also have a maximum speed of 20 mph, but are throttle-assisted.
        Class 3: eBikes that are pedal-assist only, with no throttle, and a maximum assisted speed of 28 mph.

Comment

Working...
        X