Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another build idea - Pinion drive with a Gates CDX belt, to a geared rear hub motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ncmired
    commented on 's reply
    That's a much higher cadence than I muster - I've always unfortunately been a stomper, as is my sister.

Because of this bad trait, I considered setting up a BBS02 build with the motor on the seat tube via one of those tandem child "kid-back" pedal brackets, and then driving the motor not quite but almost double pedal speed. Never got around to getting the parts.
    Last edited by ncmired; 04-27-2022, 07:05 AM.

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Haha - looked up my log from the weekend... <drum roll>... ~106rpm for 30mph =]

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    I go really slow at times for entirely different reasons - first is climbing really super steep terrain, that stuff around 30-50% grades

The other is when I'm in crowds of people and wish to mingle in the crowd and you need to be able to go really, really slow

I shouldn't need to explain speed or the occasional need for it LOL

I was racing around with a guy on a sur-ron last weekend and was still pedaling at 30mph, but dang I was likely doing about 110rpm (I need to look at the logs! He was pretty amazed at how fast I was going even though it was a really strong headwind - too funny

• ncmired
    replied
    One of the things that intrigued me about the Pinion's 600% range is that it might accommodate slow (stomper) and fast (spinner) rider cadences, matching up to the motor's power "window".
    Last edited by ncmired; 04-26-2022, 07:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    That gearbox does sound like a very cool idea - 600% range would be awesome although I really don't want for much with the >450% I've got presently... I'd still take it!

Leave a comment:

• Another build idea - Pinion drive with a Gates CDX belt, to a geared rear hub motor

This build idea is just a thought I've had, here and there, over several years. No, I don't need another bike or build ... really, I don't.

So, you take one of these Priority 600 bikes with its 600% mid gearbox:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	main_600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	261.8 KB ID:	150751

Add this Gates single speed freewheel and a handful of freewheel spacers:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	CDX-Freewheel-Sprocket-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	944.1 KB ID:	150752

Then, you find a reputable (probably Bafang) 135mm O.L.D. disc brake geared hub motor with a single speed thread stub. And this is where I get stuck, because I've not come across a specification chart for geared hub motors. It would also need to be small to mid-size power wise, so to not overstress the possibly Paragon-compatible dropouts.

I'm also stuck on the cadence / torque sensor that would, I presume, need to be attached to the pinion drive.

Maybe it's best that I haven't been able to complete the technical thought(s) here. And besides, no funds are available.
    Last edited by ncmired; 04-26-2022, 02:02 PM.
Working...
X